Possibility to hide/lock one screen?

Roc_Droid

Reaction score
Hello,

I know I'm reaching but can anyone see the possibility of being able to hide or lock one of your screens? I'm guessing this would have to be a feature in one of the home replacements.

So, let's just say that, hypothetically, you wanted to create a screen that contained personal content/apps. :cool: Then, when you wanted to show off your phone or hand it to someone else to use, you could either hide or lock that screen so they couldn't see it.

I know that's not a feature that's available now but does that sound like something that would technically be possible?

Thanks!

OP
R

Roc_Droid

Reaction score
Thanks, dezymond! I also posted it on the GDE board so we'll see if anyone has any ideas.

skourg3

Reaction score
I don't know of anything that would allow you to do this currently, but I question the point of it. Sure, it would prevent people from seeing something while just glancing at your screen, but if they actually look at your phone then locking a home screen won't hide the actual files or apps.

If all you need is some sort of cover for that kind of stuff, could you just put it in a folder with some unobtrusive name or something? It would hide it from a casual glance, at any rate.

Mojo

Reaction score
Or. You could have two different home apps... one that contains your stuff you don't want people to see and one that contains all of the stuff you want people to see.

OP
R

Roc_Droid

Reaction score
Good suggestion, gixxerjoe!

So, let's say that, hypothetically, I was seeing two people. I could have one person's picture all over one home app and the other person's pictures on the other. Not quite as convenient or foolproof as locking or hiding a screen but it could work for now.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good suggestion, gixxerjoe!

So, let's say that, hypothetically, I was seeing two people. I could have one person's picture all over one home app and the other person's pictures on the other. Not quite as convenient or foolproof as locking or hiding a screen but it could work for now.

All you really need is one home replacement app. Your stock home still runs in the background.
It's easy to clear out which home comes up when you press the home key
menu > settings > applications > manage applications > scroll to home replacement app > clear defaults.

OP
R

Roc_Droid

Reaction score
Oooh, Martin030908! That might work! I would just need to come up with some kind of splash screen, so to speak, that is the default screen on each one just in case the wrong home was selected. Again, not as convenient because my home replacement app is so much more useful to me than the stock so working in that environment won't make me happy but it will do for now.

Thanks for the suggestions!