[Poll] If Samsung's Galaxy S6 is curved, would you buy one?

[Poll] If Samsung's Galaxy S6 is curved, would you buy one?

• Total voters

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
The thing about the "edge" being curved is that it leaves less of a way to hold the phone without actually touching the capacitive screen. Since the sides which are curved down are now part of the touch sensitive panel, simply holding the phone leads to contact with that curved section and could be registering undesired screen presses. I just don't see how this could be overcome.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
The thing about the "edge" being curved is that it leaves less of a way to hold the phone without actually touching the capacitive screen. Since the sides which are curved down are now part of the touch sensitive panel, simply holding the phone leads to contact with that curved section and could be registering undesired screen presses. I just don't see how this could be overcome.
According to the review I read on the Note edge, they overcame that issue pretty well.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Wouldn't you muffle it just by holding the device ire laying it down though?

Yes, in fact you would if you were touching that part of the radiator. If however the radiator panel were let's say a small part of the rear panel, perhaps a 2" square portion centered on the back for instance, and perhaps even inset a tiny bit, then your palm wouldn't easily contact it and the panel could vibrate unimpeded... But I'm impressed that you picked up on that. Not that I saw you as any kind of technological or acoustical slouch by any means!! :D

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
According to the review I read on the Note edge, they overcame that issue pretty well.

Well, the one I held was doing exactly what I said above...detecting my finger on the side and causing it to register and move/select that side panel even when I didn't want it to.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yes, in fact you would if you were touching that part of the radiator. If however the radiator panel were let's say a small part of the rear panel, perhaps a 2" square portion centered on the back for instance, and perhaps even inset a tiny bit, then your palm wouldn't easily contact it and the panel could vibrate unimpeded... But I'm impressed that you picked up on that. Not that I saw you as any kind of technological or acoustical slouch by any means!! :D
I'm a bit of an amateur musician. Actually majored in music ed for a semester.

Also, the first car I ever had, we got for a song from my sister's now husband. He had it wired for an amp & sub that he removed, but my dad & I made a project out of hooking one up again. Had a 12" Pioneer that my buddy swore changed the rhythm of his heart beat when he sat in the back.

When you have access to speakers & amps & you're the inquisitive type, you learn a couple things here & there. ;)

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus

I've never had an accidental touch while using my phone. I find it to be the exact opposite. The metal lip on the side of the Edge prevents contact.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I've never had an accidental touch while using my phone. I find it to be the exact opposite. The metal lip on the side of the Edge prevents contact.
Well, I am certainly not talking from much experience mind you. I played with it for maybe 5 minutes. Perhaps I would become accustomed to it over time.

Edit; Part of the problem may also be that the damn thing was tethered to the countertop at the store and so I had the springloaded cord trying to recoil while holding it. Maybe I was holding tighter than normal because... IDK.

Last edited:

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I fail to see the point of a curved phone.

If people prefer the use of Widgets, multiple home screens, enjoy sliding your notification tray down with every notification, using your Menu or home button to access your Recent apps, etc then an Edge would not be much use to them.

If you are a minimalist that likes having media controls eliminated from taking up screen real estate, access to your favorite apps, Recent apps, etc etc then an Edge would be beneficial.

I used to have three or four home screens loaded up with various shortcuts and widgets, but they became redundant on the Edge and I now only have one home screen.

It's not for everyone and to be honest I walked into the situation expecting it to be a gimmick. They really surprised me with how well it actually functions and I look forward to watching it evolve.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I'm a minimalist....I only have one homescreen and all of my most frequently used apps can easily be accessed through it.
kBZMORX.jpg

S5 tap'n