Please help! No one can understand me because of echo!

M

Matth3w

About three months ago my wife and I bought a Network Extender (NE) through Verizon to combat the zero or no bar problem we have here where we live (the area itself is great, just for some reason inside our house we couldn't get reception).

We got it in two days, plugged it in, 10 minutes later and up until last week we never messed with it again. No settings, no nothing. Four to five bars at all times no matter where we are in the house or in the driveway with the NE.

Rewind to last week around Wednesday....worked in the morning up until about lunchtime. After lunch I attempted to make a call and I got a message "All circuits are busy."

I thought, boy that's odd. Figured it was the number I was trying to dial, until I realized I couldn't make any calls.

So I unplugged the extender and immediately it worked again. So I called tech support, who had me reboot all my hardware (Linksys WRT54G, the NE, etc) and as soon as the NE came back online it automatically shut us out of the call and I couldn't make or receive calls again.

Talked with tech (again) and eventually he decided to replace the NE and overnighted it to me. Got it overnighted, didn't really make too many phone calls this weekend. Had one phone call that lasted about 50 minutes and didn't notice a single problem. Started to make some calls this morning, and no one could understand me. They said it sounded like I was either breaking up, or that I was echoing or in a tunnel. The most common response was that it sounded like I was in a tunnel. The odd thing is, is that I can hear the person perfectly with absolutely no issue.

So I unplugged the extender and had no problems.

Called tech and they told me to take my phone to a Verizon store. Once I got there I demonstrated that I could make calls no problem with one of the CS reps. I then called the same CS rep from home with the NE turned on and he couldn't understand me at all.

So far the only two potential solutions have been the router and some problem with my cable company (Cox Communications) where I get my internet from. The router shows no indications of being broken or malfunctioning, and I am getting the same download speeds (18.5-19 megabytes per second) and upload speeds (steady at around 2.85 megabytes per second) whether my cable modem is plugged directly into my computer or through the router.

One Verizon tech had me go to MySpeed VoIP connection test, VoIP test, test VoIP performance, test VoIP quality to test my quality of connection. I only scored a 65-69% on average on the overall quality (Verizon says they require 90% which I only achieved twice) but 98% consistently on upload, and solid green on every other part of the test, to include a very low latency (like 0.4ms) and 0% packet loss.

What I don't understand, is, this would make perfect sense if this was day one of me trying to use this NE. But I used it for three months, approximately 600 minutes each month from home just on my phone (not including my wife's), with ZERO issues. It was amazing. I recommended it to every single person that had Verizon service in the area, and all over the internet whenever I could.

Now all of the sudden it stops working? I have changed absolutely NOTHING on my end. Same modem, cables, router, internet, no programs running in the backround etc etc etc.

I have also tried the *228 option 1 and 2 and it didn't do anything, nor did a factory reset on my phone. This clearly seems to be an issue with the NE.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

CDB

Reaction score
Update voice call quality
Dial ##7764726 (##PROGRAM)
Press CALL
In the password box that comes up, enter 000000 and press VERIFY
Go to menu option 04 Vocode and select EVRC-B

OP
M

Matth3w

It seems to be an issue with the network extender. As soon as I unplug it, I have no problem.

OP
M

Matth3w

Update voice call quality
Dial ##7764726 (##PROGRAM)
Press CALL
In the password box that comes up, enter 000000 and press VERIFY
Go to menu option 04 Vocode and select EVRC-B
I saw this but someone said that it might not work in some areas.

CDB

Reaction score
That could be the case. The only way to know is if you...try.

You can always go back to the original setting if this one doesn't sound better.

astronaut

Reaction score
It seems to be an issue with the network extender. As soon as I unplug it, I have no problem.

The network extender is actually a VOIP device. It picks up your cell signal and routes it over the Internet (not the cell network). I would say it is very likely that this is your problem since it quit when you unplugged it.

The switch to EVRC-B worked great for me. It seemed to improve my call quality quite a bit.

OP
M

Matth3w

Yeah but you can have "great" quality but if you barely can get a signal you get constant dropped calls, which is why we have the network extender.

I just don't get it though (I knew that it used VOIP)...we get 19mb/s download and 2.85mb/s upload speeds consistently with no service issues, usually low latency when playing games, etc.

And why can I hear them fine but I sound like I'm in a tunnel?

astronaut

Reaction score
I don't know much about the tech inside the extender. I checked it out for a friend's beach house that has terrible signal and it seemed like a perfect solution. he plans to buy one once the weather warms up. I suggest you post your problem here at the Verizon forum and maybe their techs can help.

OP
M

Matth3w

Apparently you need a good VOIP connection, which I am getting a low rating on the test page. That being said, it worked flawlessly for three months before this, and this is my second brand new extender, so I'm at a loss.

OP
M

Matth3w

I edited the first post to make it more detailed.

diverbelow

Reaction score
I had a similar issue when I was with Vonage, granted Vonage is for land line, but one thing I found out was that I had to tell my router to say that the Vonage router IP uses VOIP AKA QOS and set the port correctly. I also found out that I had to plug my Vonage router in to port 1 on my router to give it higher attention when in use.

I was also thinking about getting the NE, since I only get 0 to 2 bars where I live.

OP
M

Matth3w

How did you do that with the router? And remember though, it was fine before :( Nothing changed :(

OP
M

Matth3w

Right now I have a Linksys WRT54G but Verizon sent me a free wireless router for my troubles that should be here tomorrow (not sure of the brand or model).