Playing h.264 videos

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by stanwelks, Nov 26, 2009.

1. stanwelks

stanwelks New Member

I tried viewing h.264 videos through the browser on a site and it didn't work. How can I do this?

Thanks.
  2. valnar

valnar New Member

Perhaps they weren't formatted to work on the Droid? Maybe no application is setup to view it? What extension were they? H.264 is a codec, not a container.

In other words, need WAY more info before anyone could help. Perhaps a link to the site/file?
  3. stanwelks

stanwelks New Member

it is a Quicktime .mov file encoded at 720 x 480 in h.264.

Thanks.
  4. drivebylake

drivebylake New Member

stanwelks, did anyone ever give you an answer to your question in regards to playing an H.264 .mov in the Droid web browser. I'm wondering the same thing.
  5. coolkidd

coolkidd New Member

don't qoute me on this.... but is it because it needs flash?
  6. drivebylake

drivebylake New Member

Thanks for the reply. I'll cross my fingers that it's something like that and we get a fix sometime early next year with flash support.
  7. racklefratz

racklefratz New Member

Well, do we know that the native Droid browser supports h.264 videos? I'm not sure, but actually, I'd think it probably doesn't, although I don't presently have facts to back that up.

I would expect that you'd have to download that video to play in the Droid's media player.
  8. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

Droid i know for sure is compatible with .mp4. I convert all my videos to .mp4 since it's such a universal format, plays on my Droid, Mp3 player, PS3, etc.

Get a converter and just convert it to .mp4.
  9. stanwelks

stanwelks New Member

@drivebylake

I have been able to get it to play h.264 videos that were encoded in Final Cut Pro. They do not play as smoothly as they do on an iPhone. They stutter a bit, though they do play. I am not sure which player I used, though I have Meridian and Movies installed.

HTH.
  10. veggiedave

veggiedave New Member

I was sent a .mov file in my email. I dont see a way to download them. It only allows me to preview. Any ideas?
  11. dvdcatalyst

dvdcatalyst Guest

.mp4 works.

Just visit one of the links in this thread using the browser on your Droid.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-audio-video/15161-droid-optimized-movie-trailers.html

854x480, h264 video @ 1500kbps, 160kbps audio

embedded video probably will not work, since this requires a video plugin for the browser, but direct links do work (if the file is properly formatted) and will open up the video player app on the Droid.
  12. Sarreq Teryx

Sarreq Teryx New Member

try getting mp4box and re-muxing the movs to mp4

beside that, I'd really like to see mkv support in android, it's open source, I don't see why not
  13. LrdElderon

LrdElderon New Member

There are a lot of things that are open source and should be part of or at least installable into android for instance .flac support or heck not even open source, we should be able to add pretty much any codec we want, but we can't because google has it all locked down so all we can play is what it says on the outside of the box.

Apps like VLC which can play almost everything will not be feasible as far as I know until google opens up the media portion of android more. I hear this may be a possibility in the future.

Perhaps I'm wrong but I was reading a forum for a high end codec company and they were saying the hold up for codec support for other formats is google.
  14. peaceoutside.org

peaceoutside.org New Member

I'm looking for this answer in many places. Hopefully you guys can help.

I want a droid user to navigate to a web page.

On this web page, there will be a video or list of videos.

When the user clicks one of the videos it will start streaming in the droid media player.

So far I've tried the HTML5 video tag which is supposed to work but doesn't and just a standard anchor tag that works, but does not stream the video.
  15. dvdcatalyst

dvdcatalyst Guest

like in my "trailer" thread?
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-audio-video/15161-droid-optimized-movie-trailers.html

it's the file itself that enables this functionality. It's called fast-start

QuickTime 7: Preparing movies for Internet delivery
  16. peaceoutside.org

Awesome, that is exactly what I needed.

If I am fortunate, maybe I can get the right settings and configuration to make this work the way I want on all H.264-enabled mobile devices.
  17. dvdcatalyst

dvdcatalyst Guest

The streaming server app I am working on is based on the same principle. Initially I started it for the iPhone, but then found out it worked on other devices as well.
    Unfortunately, with the latest iPhone update, it no longer works this way on the iPhone/iPod Touch. Now if you access a properly created MP4 through the web, it just loads it as a txt file, filling the browser with an ascii representation of the video :(

if you want it to work on Droid, BB and Windows Mobile 6+ devices, make sure you use the lowest resolution of the bunch. Blackberry Curve uses 320x240 as a max for video, which plays fine on all others, however, using something higher than that will result in some devices not capable of playback.
    If you are running your own server for hosting the files, you could look into "darwin streaming server" which can stream the files at different resolutions, however, it has a limitation on how many it can serve at once.
  18. Stacman

Stacman New Member

Obviously, no one has done any research (not really everyone), so stop at VideoHelp.com - Forum, Guides, Tools and hardware lists and read all about any kind of video you want.

You don't play an H.264 file. That is the codec used for encoding it. You have to convert the file to a format supported by the phone. The .mp4 extension is the most common for phones, and there are dozens of small utilities that'll convert the files from/to whatever format you want. Try MediaCoder. It's free and does a very nice job. Then just load it on your SD card and play it. The .avi extensions won't work because they use the H.263 codec.
  19. Stacman

Stacman New Member

20. peaceoutside.org

I attached my settings I'm using to export video from QuickTime Pro.

Using these settings, it still doesn't work for me. Am I missing something?

I noticed your files in the trailer thread were all .mp4, but I didn't see any option to export as .mp4.

Renaming the exported .mov did not fix the issue.
Search tags for this page
android browser h.264 support

android browser native h.264

do i need h264frame.dmp

download native h.264 on android
droid x h.264 video
h.246 codec download android
h.264 codec android download
h.264 codec download for android
h.264 codec for android download
h.264 to a droid
how to play .264 on android