Playing h.264 videos

stanwelks

Reaction score
I tried viewing h.264 videos through the browser on a site and it didn't work. How can I do this?

Thanks.

valnar

Reaction score
I tried viewing h.264 videos through the browser on a site and it didn't work. How can I do this?

Thanks.

Perhaps they weren't formatted to work on the Droid? Maybe no application is setup to view it? What extension were they? H.264 is a codec, not a container.

In other words, need WAY more info before anyone could help. Perhaps a link to the site/file?

OP
S

stanwelks

Reaction score
it is a Quicktime .mov file encoded at 720 x 480 in h.264.

Thanks.

drivebylake

Reaction score
stanwelks, did anyone ever give you an answer to your question in regards to playing an H.264 .mov in the Droid web browser. I'm wondering the same thing.

drivebylake

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'll cross my fingers that it's something like that and we get a fix sometime early next year with flash support.

R

racklefratz

Well, do we know that the native Droid browser supports h.264 videos? I'm not sure, but actually, I'd think it probably doesn't, although I don't presently have facts to back that up.

I would expect that you'd have to download that video to play in the Droid's media player.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Droid i know for sure is compatible with .mp4. I convert all my videos to .mp4 since it's such a universal format, plays on my Droid, Mp3 player, PS3, etc.

Get a converter and just convert it to .mp4.

OP
S

stanwelks

Reaction score
@drivebylake

I have been able to get it to play h.264 videos that were encoded in Final Cut Pro. They do not play as smoothly as they do on an iPhone. They stutter a bit, though they do play. I am not sure which player I used, though I have Meridian and Movies installed.

HTH.

veggiedave

Reaction score
I was sent a .mov file in my email. I dont see a way to download them. It only allows me to preview. Any ideas?

D

dvdcatalyst

Thanks.

.mp4 works.

Just visit one of the links in this thread using the browser on your Droid.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-audio-video/15161-droid-optimized-movie-trailers.html

854x480, h264 video @ 1500kbps, 160kbps audio

embedded video probably will not work, since this requires a video plugin for the browser, but direct links do work (if the file is properly formatted) and will open up the video player app on the Droid.

Sarreq Teryx

Reaction score
try getting mp4box and re-muxing the movs to mp4

beside that, I'd really like to see mkv support in android, it's open source, I don't see why not

LrdElderon

Reaction score
try getting mp4box and re-muxing the movs to mp4

beside that, I'd really like to see mkv support in android, it's open source, I don't see why not

There are a lot of things that are open source and should be part of or at least installable into android for instance .flac support or heck not even open source, we should be able to add pretty much any codec we want, but we can't because google has it all locked down so all we can play is what it says on the outside of the box.

Apps like VLC which can play almost everything will not be feasible as far as I know until google opens up the media portion of android more. I hear this may be a possibility in the future.

Perhaps I'm wrong but I was reading a forum for a high end codec company and they were saying the hold up for codec support for other formats is google.

peaceoutside.org

Reaction score
I'm looking for this answer in many places. Hopefully you guys can help.

I want a droid user to navigate to a web page.

On this web page, there will be a video or list of videos.

When the user clicks one of the videos it will start streaming in the droid media player.

So far I've tried the HTML5 video tag which is supposed to work but doesn't and just a standard anchor tag that works, but does not stream the video.

D

dvdcatalyst

I'm looking for this answer in many places. Hopefully you guys can help.

I want a droid user to navigate to a web page.

On this web page, there will be a video or list of videos.

When the user clicks one of the videos it will start streaming in the droid media player.

So far I've tried the HTML5 video tag which is supposed to work but doesn't and just a standard anchor tag that works, but does not stream the video.

like in my "trailer" thread?
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-audio-video/15161-droid-optimized-movie-trailers.html

it's the file itself that enables this functionality. It's called fast-start

QuickTime 7: Preparing movies for Internet delivery