Playing video encoded at h.264, AAC as a .mp4

stanwelks

Reaction score
I want to watch a video encoded at h.264, AAC as a .mp4

I downloaded Meridian, though it will only play the audio and not the video. Which video player will work with these types of files?

Thanks.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I used SUPER © to convert DVDs to H.264 encoded MP4s and the stock Droid media player plays it..... perhaps the resolution is too high? or the bitrate is too high?
You can also use HandBrake to encode to H.264 MP4s as well...

OP
S

stanwelks

Reaction score
Where do I even find the stock media player? I see some Music app, though nothing for video. I am running the latest version of android for the Droid.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Do you have a file manager installed? Then you just navigate to that MP4 file and launch it, it should give you the option to either use the stock media player or your Meridian to play that video.

ES File Explorer is a good file manager, which also launches the media player...

OP
S

stanwelks

Reaction score
I just tried that and it gave me the option for the default player, though it doesn't work in that either.

The file is 1024 x 576 at 1,618 bit rate

any idea what worked for you?

Thanks.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I just tried that and it gave me the option for the default player, though it doesn't work in that either.

any idea what worked for you?

Thanks.

The resolution is too high, you probably need to bring it down to around 480 x 300 or so... you could go a little higher but definitely not 1024 x 576

sarreq

Reaction score

The resolution is too high, you probably need to bring it down to around 480 x 300 or so... you could go a little higher but definitely not 1024 x 576
actually, the max resolution should be same as DVD res: 720x480. though it may be possible you can play up to the screen's resolution of 854x480.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Thanks for your help!
Hope you got it to turn out good for you... :)

actually, the max resolution should be same as DVD res: 720x480. though it may be possible you can play up to the screen's resolution of 854x480.
With the size of the screen on our Droids, it's almost pointless to go much higher than 480 x 300, maybe up to 524 x 320 or something, higher than that won't really be that much more detailed on such a small screen and only increases the file size unnecessarily...
I can see if you're talking about an LCD monitor or HDTV, but not as important on a smartphone screen....imho

OSX2000

Reaction score
Optimal H.264 video settings for Droid are 848x480 at a bit rate of 1500 or less. AAC, 128-160k, 48kHz, Stereo. Wrap it all up in an MP4 file, and you're good to go.

The Droid's screen is 854x480, but 848 is the more common standard in video. I've never tried a video with an 854-wide image, it may or may not play.

D

dvdcatalyst

I want to watch a video encoded at h.264, AAC as a .mp4

I downloaded Meridian, though it will only play the audio and not the video. Which video player will work with these types of files?

Thanks.

Have you noticed that there is actually an audio/video section on these forums?

Droid Audio / Video - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

Your file should play using the build-in Gallery app, basically because just about any player that is out there uses the same internal code and hardware that the Gallery app does, so if the file does not play in one, it will probably not play in the other either.

H264 is a broad format, it has a lot of different advanced settings like "level" "cabac" and other options that affect playability on a certain device, and as of such, a file encoded for a PS3 or XBOX360 might not play on the Droid.

In general, a file encoded using an iPod/iPhone-compatible conversion tool with a maximum of 854x480 (full res does play) 1500kbps video and 160kbps audio will play, however, certain conversion tools do not set the ID level properly, which results in no video.

Since your file doesnt play, you'll probably have to re-convert your file to proper Droid format. Have a look in the F.A.Q. for more information on that, or browse through the posts in the audio/video section

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-faq/14858-how-convert-videos-use-droid.html

Things