Played with the Razr , my thoughts.

spillner

Reaction score
So I went to the mall yesterday and headed over to the Verizon store to see the new RAZR. When I picked it up I was shocked at how light it was. This thing is paper thin, to the point where I felt uncomfortable holding it in my hand in fear of breaking it. It doesn't feel like a phone to me.

Display: This things blows the D3s display outta the water. The colors just pop. Motorola did a great job with the visuals. I downloaded the falling leaves LW and compared it to the same one on my phone. The difference in rich colors is staggering.

Performance: I put some widgets on the screen and ran a live wallpaper and the phone ran as expected, snappy. I'm not seeing a huge jump from my D3 but then again it doesn't really have a huge bump in specs either. Sliding from home screen to home screen never really produced any lag. Applications opened up rather quickly, including the camera.

Internet Browsing: Having never played with the internet on 4G I was very happy with the speeds I was getting (was initially told in August by Verizon that Buffalo, NY would never get 4G, we got it on 10/21). But what really disappointed me was browser scrolling. Why is the GS2 (and windows phones) the only phone that can go head to head with the iPhone in this regard? Scrolling on full web pages on the RAZR was no better than on the D3. It lagged on pages that were content heavy and its pinch to zoom was actually worse than the D3 when I compared it on the same page at the same time. 1.2 gig dual core with 1 gig of RAM and its still choppy? This is one of the reasons why my next phone will be a Samsung.

Final thought: Its very thin and light and has an amazing display but for $299 on contract this should be better. Not having a removable battery is a deal breaker because Moto has not made a DROID that doesn't occasionally lock up and need a batter pull. Anybody dead set on dropping the D3 for a RAZR should at least wait for the Nexus Galaxy and compare the 2 side by side.

Again these are just opinions and not meant to insult anyone who bought this phone.

SANhacker

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing.
I'm quite concerned about battery life but so far so good. I have two weeks to decide if it is acceptable. :D
Volume down and power button for 10 seconds is effectively a battery pull.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing.
I'm quite concerned about battery life but so far so good. I have two weeks to decide if it is acceptable. :D
Volume down and power button for 10 seconds is effectively a battery pull.

We'll have to see how that works out. It isn't a mechanical disconnect though and so I have to bet that there are going to be times when it doesn't work.

SANhacker

Reaction score
I guess I'm curious how tablets (without removable batteries) aren't effected ?
Is a smart phone any different ?

Fr33dom

Reaction score
I guess I'm curious how tablets (without removable batteries) aren't effected ?
Is a smart phone any different ?

I wouldn't think there would be any real difference for this particular issue.

doogald

Reaction score
Internet Browsing: Having never played with the internet on 4G I was very happy with the speeds I was getting (was initially told in August by Verizon that Buffalo, NY would never get 4G, we got it on 10/21). But what really disappointed me was browser scrolling. Why is the GS2 (and windows phones) the only phone that can go head to head with the iPhone in this regard? Scrolling on full web pages on the RAZR was no better than on the D3. It lagged on pages that were content heavy and its pinch to zoom was actually worse than the D3 when I compared it on the same page at the same time. 1.2 gig dual core with 1 gig of RAM and its still choppy? This is one of the reasons why my next phone will be a Samsung.

Have you tried a third-party browser app, like Dolphin HD? I find the browsing performance with that so much better than the stock browser. I think that it's the browser app that's flawed, and with a better app, that's easily fixable.

Thanks for the review, though. I had the Bionic for a while and thought that it was too big for me, though thinner and lighter may be a better draw. I'm still glad to wait for LTE to mature a little before I go with it myself, though; the solid 3G from the D3 is far preferable to the flawed 4G/3G on the Bionic, and I imagine that the Razr isn't yet much better.

And, as previously mentioned, the hold power and voldn for 10 seconds will shut down the Razr. My laptop is this way, my iPod Touch is this way, in fact all of my old iPods responded to a similar button hold. In fact, I'd prefer that for all phones over a battery pull - it's too bad you have to peel the back if the phone freezes in this way. That said, I've had Android phones since Dec 2009, and I've only had to battery pull when I bootlooped a bad custom ROM after rooting the phone. I have never had to battery pull a running stock Android phone, or a rooted phone with a bootable ROM. For the vast majority of users, I think that this is not an issue.

Reaction score
Any particular reason why a thread exclusively about the Droid Razr is in the Droid 3 sub-forum?

OP
S

spillner

Reaction score
Any particular reason why a thread exclusively about the Droid Razr is in the Droid 3 sub-forum?

Because their have been people who are D3 owners who may be considering switching to the RAZR that would prob not see my review elsewhere. I also compare the RAZR to the D3 if you didn't notice.

Erikbal

Reaction score
So I went to the mall yesterday and headed over to the Verizon store to see the new RAZR. When I picked it up I was shocked at how light it was. This thing is paper thin, to the point where I felt uncomfortable holding it in my hand in fear of breaking it. It doesn't feel like a phone to me.

Display: This things blows the D3s display outta the water. The colors just pop. Motorola did a great job with the visuals. I downloaded the falling leaves LW and compared it to the same one on my phone. The difference in rich colors is staggering.

Performance: I put some widgets on the screen and ran a live wallpaper and the phone ran as expected, snappy. I'm not seeing a huge jump from my D3 but then again it doesn't really have a huge bump in specs either. Sliding from home screen to home screen never really produced any lag. Applications opened up rather quickly, including the camera.

Final thought: Its very thin and light and has an amazing display but for $299 on contract this should be better. Not having a removable battery is a deal breaker because Moto has not made a DROID that doesn't occasionally lock up and need a batter pull. Anybody dead set on dropping the D3 for a RAZR should at least wait for the Nexus Galaxy and compare the 2 side by side.

Again these are just opinions and not meant to insult anyone who bought this phone.

Wow you're from Buffalo? What a small world, I'm from Olean! I was told we'll have 4g here within the first few months of 2012.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Darksthour

Reaction score
I'm from buffalo (Lockport NY) myself. It is a small world. I do also remember that Verizon never said LTE wasn't coming to buffalo. They just weren't sure when LTE was coming. Verizon employees aren't told much pre-release for anything. Device or anthing Verizon services. Go ask any anyone in a Verizon store about the Galaxy Nexus and they will all probably look at you funny. Personally I didn't think LTE would be here till next year as well. However I own a Droid 3 and love it. Yes I would love a Nexus however my upgrade at the time got me a great phone and I know that developers will release ICS for it. hell I'm about 99% positive if anything for the Bionic is released will be for the Droid 3. They are practically the same phone. Also if by some slim chance ICS isn't released for it a developer will. On this site alone the ROM's are adding up. Hell Liberty Rom is there and we have Cyanogenmod on the way. Just be patient and good things will come.

OP
S

spillner

Reaction score
My phone feels the same on day 98 as it does on day 1, couldn't say the same for my OG Droid

Erikbal

Reaction score
I have to agree my phone still feels pretty "snappy" still as well. Honestly I love this phone. I just wish it had more ram sometimes although I have no problems with ram now.

KZ_259

Reaction score
yes, i do wish it had more ram if anything, but rooting the phone and freezing the bloatware should help with that issue