Phone suddenly not recognizing USB charge??

jabbycakes

Reaction score
Hey there all. So I have this Razr Maxx HD and I absolutely love it. No problems at all up until this morning. I went to plug it in via USB to my work PC, as I have done every day since I have it, and it is not recognizing that it is connected. At all. No icons, no charge indicator...nothing. I have rebooted the pc, tried every USB port, checked cord/phone/pc ports for debris/blockage. shut down and restarted the phone multiple times.

Anyone else have this happen? Any ideas?

OP
J

jabbycakes

Reaction score
Okay so I tried it in my car with the same cable on my lunch break...works fine. It is strictly not charging when connected to PC, and this PC always worked fine to charge last week. Very puzzled.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Welcome to Droid Forums Jabbycakes! Are you using the cable that came with your phone. It is most likely the cable you are using is for charging only rather than a data/charging cable. Something I learned exactly the same way (couldn't get it to work on pc). Some cables are for charging only but don't have the necessary connection to allow data from a pc.

OP
J

jabbycakes

Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome! I browse a lot, but now that I am registered, I am going to definitely contribute.

The odd thing here is this...it is the stock cable that came with the phone. This exact cable was used all last week on this same computer and it would immediately connect, charge, and allow me to view the phone as a device on the computer. Nothing has changed. I checked to be sure that I had up to date motorola drivers. I am truly baffled.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Aha, then that is very different. I would say it is not the cable. And you have already done the first thing I would have suggested...update usb drivers. It could be the pc. If you can, try another pc and see if the same thing happens.

Lucas5

Reaction score
As TisMyDroid suggested, try another PC. Also: on the first PC, with the Razr connected try going into device manager and click on the "scan for hardware changes" button.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Hmm, thanks Lucas! I learned something new today. Very cool!

rkersh409

Reaction score
Mine won't connect/charge on my company laptop either. Works fine on my personal laptop. Its not the pc because my old phone would connect/charge fine.

Archangelxtc

Reaction score
Same here. My Incredible used to charge by USB from my work laptop no problem. The maxx hd however does not charge via usb when connected to any of my laptops or my TV.