Phone Sat in the Snow ALL DAY

hooblah2u2

Reaction score
It must have fallen out of my pocket as I was getting out of my car to go into school. It sat in the snow ALL DAY. When I found it, it was on, it was wet, and the touch screen wasn't cooperative.

My dad says we should wait 2 weeks before we even try turning it on again. In the meantime I will use my older phone. Is 2 weeks a good time period? Longer? What do you guys think?

Reaction score
take the battery out and put it in a ziplock bag with a cup of rice. The rice acts as dessicant and will absorb the moisture.

Give it a day and then give it a try.

OP
H

hooblah2u2

Reaction score
Good advice! But what about the rest of the phone? Should i put it in rice as well?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is the best (and most reasonable) approach...
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-faq/8539-how-deal-droid-thats-gotten-wet-right-way.html

The rice BS is just stupid... it will NOT draw any moisture out.. think about it people... IF rice had any hygroscopic properties than the rice in your cupboard would take moisture from the air and would get soft and/or moldy relatively quickly.... I don't know who started this stupid solution or why but it's complete BS... it will do nothing more/extra than just allowing the phone to sit wrapped in a towel for the same period of time...

(and yes, now a bunch of people will quote this saying 'riced save my phone'.... BULL!!!!!! see above... unless you can find me anything proven that states rice suddenly becomes hygroscopic in the presence of cell phones it was simply the TIME and the DRY environment):soapbox:

M

Matth3w

Yeah, rice didn't do **** for my LG when I got pushed in a pool. Do you have the warranty? If so, just take it in for replacement.

ptfd13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-faq/8539-how-deal-droid-thats-gotten-wet-right-way.html

The rice BS is just stupid... it will NOT draw any moisture out.. think about it people... IF rice had any hygroscopic properties than the rice in your cupboard would take moisture from the air and would get soft and/or moldy relatively quickly.... I don't know who started this stupid solution or why but it's complete BS... it will do nothing more/extra than just allowing the phone to sit wrapped in a towel for the same period of time...

(and yes, now a bunch of people will quote this saying 'riced save my phone'.... BULL!!!!!! see above... unless you can find me anything proven that states rice suddenly becomes hygroscopic in the presence of cell phones it was simply the TIME and the DRY environment):soapbox:

Can you offer any proof that the rice application does not work? Until then it is just as good an application as any you use.

Reaction score
Rice does work as a mild dessicant.

If your phone is drenched, as in dropped in the pool, crystal dessicant won't even work unless you have a large quantity. Rice will remove moisture from a phone, but will not remove water.

Rice will work much better if you spread it on a cookie sheet and put it in the oven at 250 for an hour. This method is used by amateur mushroom gatherers for drying.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score

Can you offer any proof that the rice application does not work? Until then it is just as good an application as any you use.

Read the bold... and look-up the definition of hygroscopic and/or use deductive reasoning...

Yes it may be a very mild desiccant but unless it is in direct contact with the water it will do nothing to dry or expel water from withing the device and even in DIRECT contact it will only absorb the surface water it is in contact with... and then no more than a towel... the idea of the alcohol (as posted in the link) is that it will displace that water in the device and evaporate quickly (relatively speaking compared to the water it replaced). If you want/need an 'around the house' desiccant than salt will be the most available to the average person/kitchen (of course kosher or rock salt will be a less messy and less likely to get 'into' the device).

Last edited:

ptfd13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
To each their own. Use what works. For me, the rice works wonderfully.

MPTP

Reaction score
My sister dropped her iPhone during a big snowstorm Dec 18th. I found the phone, once the snow melted, on Jan18th after 31 days of more snow, sleet and rain. I picked up the phone and water just poured out of it.

I decided I'd try the bag of rice trick and left it in there for 4 days. After the first day there was still water behind the screen but by day 2 that had disappeared.

On the forth day, plugged it in, charged it up, and it works fine. There are no dead pixels, no cracked screen, the speaker and the mic even still work. This is actually the second time this is hapened, the first time it was dropped into 18" of standing water for 24 hours.

As long as the water was clean, i.e. not salt water, then hopefully you should be fine. Whether or not the rice works may be a point of contention, but it definitely doesn't hurt and my sister's phone will happily tell you that.