1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Phone Sat in the Snow ALL DAY

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by hooblah2u2, Feb 11, 2010.

1. hooblah2u2

hooblah2u2 New Member

It must have fallen out of my pocket as I was getting out of my car to go into school. It sat in the snow ALL DAY. When I found it, it was on, it was wet, and the touch screen wasn't cooperative.

My dad says we should wait 2 weeks before we even try turning it on again. In the meantime I will use my older phone. Is 2 weeks a good time period? Longer? What do you guys think?
  2. BobthePhotoGuy

BobthePhotoGuy New Member

take the battery out and put it in a ziplock bag with a cup of rice. The rice acts as dessicant and will absorb the moisture.

Give it a day and then give it a try.
  3. hooblah2u2

hooblah2u2 New Member

Good advice! But what about the rest of the phone? Should i put it in rice as well?
  4. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Just whatever you do........don't try to turn it on!!!
  5. BobthePhotoGuy

Sorry Yes put the phone in the rice.
  6. Guchi

Guchi New Member

and put it near/on a heat vent
  7. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

This is the best (and most reasonable) approach...
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-faq/8539-how-deal-droid-thats-gotten-wet-right-way.html

The rice BS is just stupid... it will NOT draw any moisture out.. think about it people... IF rice had any hygroscopic properties than the rice in your cupboard would take moisture from the air and would get soft and/or moldy relatively quickly.... I don't know who started this stupid solution or why but it's complete BS... it will do nothing more/extra than just allowing the phone to sit wrapped in a towel for the same period of time...

(and yes, now a bunch of people will quote this saying 'riced save my phone'.... BULL!!!!!! see above... unless you can find me anything proven that states rice suddenly becomes hygroscopic in the presence of cell phones it was simply the TIME and the DRY environment):soapbox:
  8. lockman

lockman New Member

Damn, KZI, I was in the process of posting same link. And rice is B.S.
  9. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    Yeah, rice didn't do **** for my LG when I got pushed in a pool. Do you have the warranty? If so, just take it in for replacement.
  10. ptfd13

ptfd13 New Member

Can you offer any proof that the rice application does not work? Until then it is just as good an application as any you use.
  11. BobthePhotoGuy

Rice does work as a mild dessicant.

If your phone is drenched, as in dropped in the pool, crystal dessicant won't even work unless you have a large quantity. Rice will remove moisture from a phone, but will not remove water.

Rice will work much better if you spread it on a cookie sheet and put it in the oven at 250 for an hour. This method is used by amateur mushroom gatherers for drying.
  12. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

Read the bold... and look-up the definition of hygroscopic and/or use deductive reasoning...

Yes it may be a very mild desiccant but unless it is in direct contact with the water it will do nothing to dry or expel water from withing the device and even in DIRECT contact it will only absorb the surface water it is in contact with... and then no more than a towel... the idea of the alcohol (as posted in the link) is that it will displace that water in the device and evaporate quickly (relatively speaking compared to the water it replaced). If you want/need an 'around the house' desiccant than salt will be the most available to the average person/kitchen (of course kosher or rock salt will be a less messy and less likely to get 'into' the device).
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  13. ptfd13

ptfd13 New Member

To each their own. Use what works. For me, the rice works wonderfully.
  14. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

Agreed:icon_ devil: lol, same with all things:icon_ banana:
  15. MPTP

MPTP New Member

My sister dropped her iPhone during a big snowstorm Dec 18th. I found the phone, once the snow melted, on Jan18th after 31 days of more snow, sleet and rain. I picked up the phone and water just poured out of it.

I decided I'd try the bag of rice trick and left it in there for 4 days. After the first day there was still water behind the screen but by day 2 that had disappeared.

On the forth day, plugged it in, charged it up, and it works fine. There are no dead pixels, no cracked screen, the speaker and the mic even still work. This is actually the second time this is hapened, the first time it was dropped into 18" of standing water for 24 hours.

As long as the water was clean, i.e. not salt water, then hopefully you should be fine. Whether or not the rice works may be a point of contention, but it definitely doesn't hurt and my sister's phone will happily tell you that.
  16. Caindris

Caindris New Member

Even if rice had the power to pull that much moisture out of the air you're still dealing with water in its liquid state which is going to take forever to evaporate in a sealed environment.

By far the best place to put a wet phone would be against a fan during the winter when the air is the driest. having COLD and DRY air circulate through a phone will do more to remove any water in it then setting your droid in 20 boxes of Uncle Bens ever could.

If you're in a humid environment then your best bet is to leave it against an air conditioner. If that isn't an option you could get two two furnace filters and bungie them together with the droid sandwhiched between and a fan blowing against one side. The filters will help prevent moisture in the air from getting into the circulating air that is being passed through between the two filters and help dry the droid.

If what I wrote didn't make a lot if sense see here - Good Eats w/ Alton Brown - A cheap, simple, home food dehydtator

Granted he's using the same concept to make a food dehydrator but the concept is still the same, pulling the moisture out.
  17. Benton

Benton New Member

I haven't researched the properties of rice in terms of the ability to absorb ambient moisture, maybe later. Regarding the air conditioning trick, I would recommend to not place the phone (in filters or not) into the discharging air, this air is virtually saturated as it leaves the a/c's evaporator coil typically at ~40°F and 98% rh. This air flow will dry wet semi-sealed items relatively slowly and will dry in a migrated pattern from warm to cold or from back to front relative to airflow. The dehydration that air conditioning provides actually occurs at the evap coil itself inside the machine and the removal of moisture in the air is taken from the returning air. The re-expansion of the condensed cool-moist air leaving the a/c unit as it diffuses into the warmer room causes the air in a room to dry as example: leaving air at 40°F with 98% rh will be at ~35% rh when heated to 72°F.

Placing the device at the inlet to the air conditioner (returning air) will dry the device the quickest as the air flow will be equal in volume to the discharge air but this air will have a much lower rh and therefore greater ability to absorb the moisture in the device (water in the device will represent 100%rh).

Enough physics, I think I'll have some rice for lunch today.
  18. loop4zil

loop4zil New Member

No dog in this "discussion"...slow day here due to potential snow so I decided to look up "rice hygroscopic" on google. Came up with a bunch of hits...I selected this one...cause it looked academic. Probably LOTS better ways of drying something out...but if all you got is rice...then you go with what you got.

http://uarpp.uark.edu/Publications/Drying/Lu and Siebenmorgen 1992 Trans ASAE.pdf

"INTRODUCTION
    Rice kernels are hygroscopic materials which adsorb or desorb moisture depending on their ambient environment. Moisture adsorption is a major cause of rice fissuring in the preharvest period and postharvest handling, processing, and storage operations . ...

OBJECTIVES
    The objectives of this study were to:
    Use the finite element technique to model the
    moisture adsorption behavior of long-grain rough
    rice.
    Experimentally measure the effects of temperature
    and relative humidity on the moisture adsorption
    behavior of rough, brown, and white rice.
    Determine the diffusivities of long-grain rough rice
    components using the finite element method..

CONCLUSIONS
    Moisture adsorption of 'Newbonnet' and 'Lemont' long-grain rice was satisfactorily simulated by the finite element model which assumed the kernel shape to be a prolate spheroid.
    The equilibrium moisture contents of white and brown rice were higher than those of rough rice for all test conditions. White rice had the highest moisture adsorption rate, and rough rice had the lowest adsorption rate. White and brown rice reached equilibrium moisture content within 24 h.
    The endosperm had considerably higher diffusivity values than the bran and hull. The hull had the lowest diffusivity values and, therefore, was more resistant to moisture transfer. The diffusivities of the endosperm, bran, and hull increased with temperature. The temperature-dependency of the diffusivity of each rice component and form was well described by an Arrhenius-type function.
  19. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

THANK!!! Your article is just what I needed... it actually supports my argument about the stupidity of this method:

The BEST absorption rate of all rices showed only a 10% increase in moisture content (moister for white and brown rice ended at 23% from an original 13%). Also if you look on page 2 the rice was arranged to allow MAXIMUM absorption in a way that would NOT be reproduced in a useful way for the purposes of drying a phone, specifically: "baskets were sufficiently large so that there was little kernel-to-kernel contact." Not exactly an arrangement that you would use to dry your phone which would means the rice around/on your phone would likely have a much lower absorption rate (so now you're down to single digit increase).

You will get far more liquid evaporation with the phone 'naked' sitting near a vent or other air source (fan) than you will "moisture absorption" with it packed in rice. This was just further proof that it is time and surrounding conditions (relative humidity and airflow being the most important) that matter most.
  20. loop4zil

loop4zil New Member

Excellent...I now consider the "rice method" an urban legend! The best way to dry your phone is to not drop it in liquid!
Search tags for this page

cell phone dropped in snow

cell phone left in snow

dropped cell phone in snow
dropped my cell phone in snow

dropped phone in snow

dropped phone in snow overnight
dropped phone in snow rice
drying out htc inspire
just found my motorola droid 4 in the snow
left phone in snow
phone dropped in snow