Phone on, screen black

dsmusicbox

Reaction score
The gist:

*Dropped phone in case, landed face up still in case.
*No visible damage to phone.
*Phone is on, screen is black.
*Did battery pull, phone turns on, button lights up, phone vibrates, still black screen.

*Called phone from husband's phone, screen was still black, was able to guess where the swipe button was and answer the call.

EDIT: Husband took the phone apart and it appears that the LCD Digitizer Flex Cable (?) has a crack in it? He said he has no idea how that would/could have happened. Thoughts??

randizzard

Reaction score
Well that all depends on when you got your phone and if you have insurance and/or a warranty on it. If you have either of those you should bed able to take it to your carrier and they should replace it or fix it. If you don't have either, you are going to have to do s search in your local area fir cell phone repair and ask them to fix it. This can range depending on the issue but just make the right call. If more then $200 and it shouldn't be, just use that money and Getty a new phone

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
A cracked cable would definitely do it. Another thing I have seen in the past with a drop is a broken proximity sensor. Basically the phone prox. sensor always thought it was to a face, in a pocket, etc., therefore wouldn't turn the screen on. Usually if this is the issue you should still see the boot logo. If you literally see nothing at all, ever, then it's an issue with the display, digitizer, back light, etc. The back lights can be pretty sensitive too. Once thing you might check is holding the screen up to light and see if you can see an image on the screen from an angle. If you can, then its an issue with the back light.

Hope this helps!

Mandy

BeeboMD

Reaction score
randizzard is "spot on" with the possible "fixes".
Here is why: LCDs are very sensitive to "shock" impacts. The fact that you dropped your phone and have a "black" screen is not a mere coincidence. The fact your husband found a "cracked" cable probably is just a coincidence. The impact with a ?hard surface, in the case or not, probably destroyed the LCD pixels, which equals "black" screen. The fact that you were able to answer a call is due to the SG3 having a capacitive touchscreen, which was not damaged. Your apps and such are still in their usual "screen" positions and will still respond to "touch" if you can find them, which is nearly impossible if you can't see them. In addition, what are you gonna do with them if you do find any. So, in essence, you're limited to answering your phone.
As a real world example, my family had 4 DroidXs before we dumped them for GS3s. As I was about to give them to a "shelter" for abused women, a friend of mine dropped her DroidX and had exactly the same issues as you. I replaced her screen with one from the DroidXs I had. The screen worked perfectly and she had no data loss.
So follow randizzard's advice and, if no insurance, cost will probably dictate new phone.

Edit: Mandy's advice is "spot on", too.

Epicep

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
(770) 374-7911
Dsmusicbox,
Can you update what was the outcome of this. I have the same exact problem.