phone locks up randomly

Niemo435

Reaction score
Is anyone else having this issue? The last few days my screen will lock up completely while i'm surfing or going thru fb or even looking thru contacts. Basically just using it. If I press the off on top then press it again and start over it comes back to life. I've tried manually closing programs thinking it was my ram. pulled the battery. Still locks up...any suggestions? If it helps to know sometimes it goes crazy like i'm Swyping my finger over everything but super fast. I thought maybe it was my otter box case but it locks up with it off too. Thanks everyone:) oh also did manual update last night, feels smoother but still locks up.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Is anyone else having this issue? The last few days my screen will lock up completely while i'm surfing or going thru fb or even looking thru contacts. Basically just using it. If I press the off on top then press it again and start over it comes back to life. I've tried manually closing programs thinking it was my ram. pulled the battery. Still locks up...any suggestions? If it helps to know sometimes it goes crazy like i'm Swyping my finger over everything but super fast. I thought maybe it was my otter box case but it locks up with it off too. Thanks everyone:) oh also did manual update last night, feels smoother but still locks up.

There's a number of threads around about it. Many folks call it the Black Screen of Death or BSOD. I don't remember reading about a cure other than some folks that have gone to the radical scheme of rooting/forever rooting and installing some or all of the leaked OTA updates that have been leaked by Motorola. However, please note that not all people that went this route were successful. A lot of the people that had/have this issue went the warranty route. Maybe someone with some actual experience with this issue will chime in as I've been lucky and never had it happen to my phone.

You might try a factory hard reset. Or you might try uninstalling any of the following you may have: anti-virus, task killer or ad-blocker. Also, if you have any tasks marked for auto-kill in the native task manager, try unchecking all of them. I doubt any of this will make a real difference, but it's worth trying.

OP
Niemo435

Niemo435

Reaction score
Ok haha that's good to put a name to it:) yeah I'll take it back, i'm bone stock. I had a rooted OG Droid and one day I'll tap into the BIONIC's capabilities. For now I'll let motorola handle it haha. I wonder if they'll need to see the phone actually lock up, I can't replicate it...hmm

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ok haha that's good to put a name to it:) yeah I'll take it back, i'm bone stock. I had a rooted OG Droid and one day I'll tap into the BIONIC's capabilities. For now I'll let motorola handle it haha. I wonder if they'll need to see the phone actually lock up, I can't replicate it...hmm

I've read of people having better luck with random type problems by calling into customer service vs going to a store.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
On page 53 of the Bionic manual it says:

CRASH RECOVERY
In the unlikely event that your smartphone stops
responding to touches and key presses, try a quick
reset. Remove the back cover and battery (“Assemble &
charge” on page 3), then replace and switch your
smartphone on as usual.

BTW, In the RAZR Manual it says to hold power and Volume Down for 10 seconds.

Last edited:

AlexSB

Reaction score
This happened to me for the first time...right after I installed setcpu and added a screen off profile. I uninstalled setcpu and nothing yet *hopefully it stays that way =)*

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk