phone geting hot while using google maps

pjo1966

Reaction score
I've noticed that as well. I thought it was because it was up on the dash, sitting in the sun. Then it happened on a day that was pouring rain. It even gets hot if it's only in use on a short trip, like 30 minutes.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The phone will get hot when you use it for many applications. It can take some heat. The only time I'd worry about it is if it's just too hot to touch. I've seen maybe two people have that happen.

XMasterMoronX

Reaction score
The phone will get hot when you use it for many applications. It can take some heat. The only time I'd worry about it is if it's just too hot to touch. I've seen maybe two people have that happen.

my phone once got to that point, i got the phone just in time for a 4 hour drive and I had the GPS on and was playing alot of games and of course new batteries suck because they don't hold a charge for long.

But yeah getting the phone a little toasty is fine

rican408

Reaction score
Try google earth overclocked.... 20 seconds will have the phone smokin......

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
The phone does get very warm when using Maps/GPS.

Recently I took a trip to SF and used GPS for about 45 minutes to get to Joe's Cable Car (which i recommend anyone to go! greatest burger ever, imo.) Well my friend was helping me navigate since I didn't have my dock. Said the phone got pretty warm and asked if it was normal, this was about 40 minutes into the trip until it was handled.

So it is normal, but after 30 minutes of use I'm not so sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if it got that warm.

KevinJ

Reaction score
The phone makes a nice handwarmer for those of us in colder climates. :D

nhfire152

Reaction score
My GPS got stuck in the "on" mode one day...not sure why...but the only way that I realized this was when I went to pick up the phone...and it was cookin'!

It must be something with the GPS that makes it so hot.

Frank

Milindroid

Reaction score
same thing happened to me yesterday. Went from columbus to cinncinati and it got up to 137.6 F. At least, that's what my battery/temp widget said. I was like. :O

Mars

Reaction score
when im using the gps and it gets warm i just blast the a/c and hold the phone to the vent to cool it off :icon_ banana:

masterxchief

Reaction score
The phone does get very warm when using Maps/GPS.

Recently I took a trip to SF and used GPS for about 45 minutes to get to Joe's Cable Car (which i recommend anyone to go! greatest burger ever, imo.) Well my friend was helping me navigate since I didn't have my dock. Said the phone got pretty warm and asked if it was normal, this was about 40 minutes into the trip until it was handled.

So it is normal, but after 30 minutes of use I'm not so sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if it got that warm.

Man that place is great!

jasonb

Reaction score
i used the GPS last night for about 30-40 minutes and at the same time was streaming music using DroidLive. half the time the phone was plugged in to my charger, and once it was up to 100% i unplugged it from the charger. when plugged in my cpu is clocked at 550mhz, and when it's unplugged it's overclocked to 1ghz. not at any point was it hot. i think my cpu reached a max of 42, maybe 45, i don't remember exactly, but it was never anywhere near a number that concerned me.