phone contacts question

posttal

Reaction score
I'v done some key word searches here but cant find an answer to my question so hopefully someone can help.
When you make or recieve a call and the person is in your contact list the name is removed from its listing spot and put into history making it hard to find when you need to call them back.
Example..lets say your friend Suzy calls but you miss the call because your ringtone was set too low.Now you want to call here the next day or whenever..you scroll thru the contact list but theres no Suzy..its gone.Its been moved into the HISTORY and will not return to its normal spot until you clear your history.this happens everytime you make or recieve a call making you have to remember who called and where the number might be.And worse yet..if your in the car you may not even be able to go to history if its linked to your indash bluetooth..it only shows a contact list unless you go into a totally different menu which is hard to do when driving and defeats the purpose of the hands free.
Any way to reset this and keep your contacts from moving into history..every other phone I'v had would duplicate the contact in the history section..not move it.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'v done some key word searches here but cant find an answer to my question so hopefully someone can help.
When you make or recieve a call and the person is in your contact list the name is removed from its listing spot and put into history making it hard to find when you need to call them back.
Example..lets say your friend Suzy calls but you miss the call because your ringtone was set too low.Now you want to call here the next day or whenever..you scroll thru the contact list but theres no Suzy..its gone.Its been moved into the HISTORY and will not return to its normal spot until you clear your history.this happens everytime you make or recieve a call making you have to remember who called and where the number might be.And worse yet..if your in the car you may not even be able to go to history if its linked to your indash bluetooth..it only shows a contact list unless you go into a totally different menu which is hard to do when driving and defeats the purpose of the hands free.
Any way to reset this and keep your contacts from moving into history..every other phone I'v had would duplicate the contact in the history section..not move it.

I've never seen this. Have you got your contacts synced with gmail?

OP
posttal

posttal

Reaction score
Yes they are..I'v gone over everything on the phone and in Gmail and I dont see anything that would help.Next time you make a call see if the contact stays where it was or does it move to recent calls on the top of the screen.

OP
posttal

posttal

Reaction score
I understand the lost contact will be in the missed call section..but why does it leave the contact section where you have it listed in the first place? No other phone does that.If someone calls and you didn't hear the call yes you will naturally go to your contacts look for them....but thats only after you waste time looking where they SHOULD be..in your phonebook under contacts.Yes you can go to missed calls and find them if there not where they should be..but this all takes time..
and what if during the day youve called 5-6 people from your contact list and want to call one of them back..not only are they NOT in the contact list but are in the called and missed called section in the order..or time..that they were called..there not even is alphabetical order.so you might have to scroll half way thru the list to find a person whose name begins with the letter A.This just doesn't sound logical ?
There's gotta be a way around this and keep them in your contacts where they started from.

nightfishing

Reaction score
I'm confused. When you say scroll thru the "contact list" what are you referring to?

Are you clicking on "people" and finding certain contacts have disappeared? That shouldn't happen.

The contacts in the phone app will no longer show a recent contact in the sorted (alpha) section due to the fact that they are now shown in the top (recent) section of the list.

example:

you have four contacts A, B, C and D

Click on phone and you will see them
A
B
C
D

But if C calls and you go back to the phone app it will look like this

C
A
B
D

nightfishing

Reaction score
Have you tried Gesture Search? bypasses all this crap; want to call Jesse, swipe j-e and boom you're there.

nightfishing

Reaction score
There's gotta be a way around this and keep them in your contacts where they started from.

If you click on "people" to access your contacts, they will always be there in order without any recent sorting etc.

OP
posttal

posttal

Reaction score
I'm confused. When you say scroll thru the "contact list" what are you referring to?

Are you clicking on "people" and finding certain contacts have disappeared? That shouldn't happen.

The contacts in the phone app will no longer show a recent contact in the sorted (alpha) section due to the fact that they are now shown in the top (recent) section of the list.

example:

you have four contacts A, B, C and D

Click on phone and you will see them
A
B
C
D

But if C calls and you go back to the phone app it will look like this

C
A
B
D

Correct..thats the problem..but "C" would move to the top of the list even if they called you..or you missed thier call.Now the problem is that if you make a lot of calls "C" would be mixed in with them..and could look something like this
M
G
T
W
"C"
P
Q
ETC...
So now if you wanted to call "C" they are burried in the called and recieved call section and NOT in the contact section making you have to search for them.
Is there a way to KEEP them in the phones contacts ?
Yes I know you can go to the menu and go to people and find them there..but again this takes time..and is dangerous while driving.I drive a lot and my phone links to the touch screen in the truck.All I have to do is press contacts on the screen and my call is made via the bluetooth..BUT if the contact has been moved from the list now I must actually go thru the phone searching while driving.This might sound trivial to some but all my other phones always kept the contacts were they belong...in the contacts.And since the touch screen in the truck is not actually the phone I have no way to navigate the phones menu thru it to locate the contact.
I just thought maybe there was an app,hack or setting that would keep the contacts in the contact menu and copy them into the called and missed call section instead of actually moving them.

OP
posttal

posttal

Reaction score
Oh and I was on the phone with VERIZON the other day on an unrelated matter..got them to give me friends and family for free since I had to drop my alltel plan and go with a Verizon plan to get the driod..And when done they asked if there was anything else they could do for me.So I asked about the contact problem i was having.The rep said it sounded like I was too much into technology with the touch screen and all and had no answer to my problem..although he did admit that he wasn't up on the HTC droid.But I did try asking them too just in case any one was wondering what verizon knew about the problem.

nightfishing

Reaction score
I get where you are coming from, now. It's a terminology thing ;)

I would like a call log similar to what I had on BB (where all the recent entries are consolidated down to one entry per contact), but I haven't found any.

there are some call log cleaners that will thin things out a bit, one of those might be what you want.

The phone is designed to function as it does, it is just a bit foreign to some of us used to other formats.

It is designed for you to hit phone, click the first couple letters of the name you are looking for and go from there, but that is not what "I" was used to.

I would hit the phone button and have my call log there with the 2 dozen folks I talk to on a daily/weekly basis at my finger tips. If I wanted to go deeper I would open up contacts.

As I mentioned, I now use the Gestures to skip all of this and get to my desired contact without the HTC interface at all.

Kevinb84

Reaction score
I think i kinda know what you're talking about and want to add to it.

Someone please do this for me.

1. Take a contact that you really don't care for
  2. Add them to your "favorites" widget
  3. It will, or should at some point ask you for your default action. For the sake of this example, select text as the default action.

Lets pretend that you decide this person no longer belongs on your favorites, so we will remove them from favorites by doing the following.

1. Go into your people app
  2. Select the person in question
  3. Edit their "group" and uncheck favorites
  4. Save
Go into your people tab and tell me they are anywhere to be found.