Phone Contacts Do Not Match Online Gmail Contacts

wagnebr1

Reaction score
Hello,

My RAZR received the ICS upgrade last week. Ever since then, my Gmail contacts online do not match the contacts on my phone. I've tried to manually sync the gmail account a number of different ways, and the situation has not improved. My gmail contacts online are accurate. The ones on my phone are not. Does anyone have a suggestion of things to try at this point?

Thanks

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
did you ever figure this out?
Welcome to the forum

The person who posted this did it back in 2012 and it was their one and only post and not likely still on the forum, (but who really knows). If the account on your phone is the same one you see on-line, they should be the same. What exactly are you having an issue with?

carbonscorn

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note3
Welcome to the forum

The person who posted this did it back in 2012 and it was their one and only post and not likely still on the forum, (but who really knows). If the account on your phone is the same one you see on-line, they should be the same. What exactly are you having an issue with?

I have the following issues:

1) Contacts existing on my phone (Note3) that do not exist via my desktop login to Google.com/contacts
2) Contact records on my phone differ slightly from the record (which should be the same) via my Google.com/contacts

I have over 1K contacts. I'm not sure how I'm going to fix this but I thought I would start out with dumping the contacts from my Note3 to a CSV file.

Last successful sync of my Contacts via my Google Account was 5 minutes ago. I do have 3 accounts total on my phone but the two additional accounts have 3 to 12 contacts in them and no phone numbers. It is my main account with over 1K contacts which is the issue.

Thank you for your reply.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I have the following issues:

1) Contacts existing on my phone (Note3) that do not exist via my desktop login to Google.com/contacts
2) Contact records on my phone differ slightly from the record (which should be the same) via my Google.com/contacts

I have over 1K contacts. I'm not sure how I'm going to fix this but I thought I would start out with dumping the contacts from my Note3 to a CSV file.

Last successful sync of my Contacts via my Google Account was 5 minutes ago. I do have 3 accounts total on my phone but the two additional accounts have 3 to 12 contacts in them and no phone numbers. It is my main account with over 1K contacts which is the issue.

Thank you for your reply.
When you create a new contact where does it save? You want it saving to your Gmail acct not local/device.

Looks like you'll need to export from phone and then import into Gmail, removing duplicates once done.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Are you certain that you're saving the contacts to the Google account & not to the phone/Samsung account?

That's typically the issue in cases like this.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

carbonscorn

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note3
When you create a new contact where does it save? You want it saving to your Gmail acct not local/device.

Looks like you'll need to export from phone and then import into Gmail, removing duplicates once done.

I know. I used to make that mistake on my old Thunderbolt. However, when I open a contact record in question it shows at the very top of that record that it is owned by my Google Account.

carbonscorn

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note3
I know. I used to make that mistake on my old Thunderbolt. However, when I open a contact record in question it shows at the very top of that record that it is owned by my Google Account.

I just ran the following test: I found a contact where some of the record information was missing on my phone (the contacts Name) but the contact's name is showing in full on my desktop. I opened that record via my desktop browser, updated the notes section of the record (just add some text) via my desktop, and it appeared in the phone record almost instantly BUT still no Name on the record (this particular record is listing on my phone as one of the first few contacts, instead of with the "Ks" because on the phone there is no name in the record and so it being listed by the phone number)

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Hmm. That's odd. Try changing the name on your PC & make sure the phone syncs again. Maybe add a random initial or something simple, just so it's changed.

carbonscorn

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note3
I've also attempted to dump my Contacts to CSV using Kies but apparently Samsung has dropped that ability. So via Kies I have the contacts backed up but it is in a .spb format.

carbonscorn

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note3
Hmm. That's odd. Try changing the name on your PC & make sure the phone syncs again. Maybe add a random initial or something simple, just so it's changed.

Ok, that was a good suggestion! So when I opened the record on my PC via the web interface I see it has the name filled in in field in the left area under the contacts picture BUT the name field in the record was empty - I placed a name there and it was updated to my phone and ended up in the "Ks". I can't understand how I got a name under the image but lost it from the name field in the record.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Ok, that was a good suggestion! So when I opened the record on my PC via the web interface I see it has the name filled in in field in the left area under the contacts picture BUT the name field in the record was empty - I placed a name there and it was updated to my phone and ended up in the "Ks". I can't understand how I got a name under the image but lost it from the name field in the record.
Awesome! Could be that something changed. I'm pretty sure the desktop version of contacts got a makeover a while ago, maybe they didn't convert properly in the switch?

That's about the only thing I can think of...

bryant12

Reaction score
hey there
why not try to move your gmail contact to your phone ? or find some sync software tools to use.