Phone Call Sound Quaility Poor on 2 Droids

wburleson

Reaction score
My husband and I each have Droids and we love them with the exception that we both have trouble understanding anyone during phone calls (kind of important).

Those we talk to sound muffled, like they have placed a pillow over their heads and are in a tunnel.

No we don't have hearing impairments and yes, we have done the EVRC-B reprogramming thing advised by Verizon Tech and searched this forum.

Anyone have any other answers than replacing the phones?

Thanks!

Last edited:

maybe

Reaction score
Within my 30 day trial for the Motorola droid, I am not too impressed with the sound quality. I hear others muffled, and they hear me muffled. I also noticed some static. I had to end an international skype call to one of my contacts because it was poor quality. They had a hard time hearing me, it was muffled and there were break ups. That would only work for necessary calls, not for a relaxed conversation. I still need to compare this with using skype to go on this phone (worked well on my Palm Centro).

I haven't done any troubleshooting yet, like mentioned above.

slinky

Reaction score
People constantly complain about my voice - there is apparently some noise reduction technology that requires you to speak directly into the microphone and not cradling the phone on your shoulder. As far as not hearing others, the sound in the speaker is sort of hollow, as if they are in a tunnel. Sometimes it's better than others and I have found that Verizon call quality to be suspect. If they call back after hanging up the quality is fine.

motorcityno11

Reaction score
I have the same issue. When I first got my Droid the call quality was excellent if I remember right. I wonder if the ear piece is getting filled with dust and dirt. If so there is no way to clean it out.... BUMMER

jralya

Reaction score
My husband I both bought Droids in May. Now I find that others who bought Droids have the same problem with muffled sound quality as we do. Anybody have a good fix for it or are we "stuck" with it? Also how can I block unwanted call numbers?

WhatAboutBob

Reaction score
My husband I both bought Droids in May. Now I find that others who bought Droids have the same problem with muffled sound quality as we do. Anybody have a good fix for it or are we "stuck" with it?

Did you ever find a resolution? My wife has had the same issue. We've been through three new ones and they keep getting worse. Talk to Verizon support and sales and "They've never heard of this problem".

motorcityno11

Reaction score
They replaced my phone. The tech. said it was possibly a software problem?? I had a replacment the next day. all is good now.

EM0112

Reaction score
I've had the same problem and had call Verizon yesterday on the issue and they routed me to a IT support tech and they said that they have been getting a lot of calls of the same issue we are all having in this thread and the guy told me that they have talked to Motorola and Google and said its a software problem so Verizon is pushing Google for an update for a fix. not sure when the update will be available but i'm not sure if i'm able to get the update anyway as i'm rooted with froyo 2.2 already. I also mentioned to the Verizon tech that i heard the droid is suppose to get the 2.2 update soon he replied yes but he doesn't think the 2.2 will have the fix and it will be another update following the 2.2 update for the fix for the ear speaker. i asked if there was a way for me to get a replacement until the update he said no and i'm stuck with it until the update comes and fixes it if it doesn't then i could get a replacement after until then i'll be using my Bluetooth until then.

EM0112

Reaction score
Check the thread I just posted about improving your voice quality.

yeah i've already done the ##PROGRAM before i called verizon so it might still be the software or my phone is just missed up won't find out until the update fix is done.:unsure:

Fallguy

Reaction score
People say it sounds like I have a sock over the phone. I took my first one back because of the problem and was told, “there is a problem they are having and there should be a software update down loaded to all the phones shortly to fix the problem” I couldn’t wait any longer and insisted they switch out my phone. They said that I may get one with the same issue. I ask them if they were telling every customer that they may be buying a phone that people won’t understand them on. They switched out my phone and this one has the same issue. I use it for business. My El’cheepo phone sounded better. I will not recommend the Droid to anyone if they can’t fix mine!

jralya

Reaction score
Sound problem fixed

I can't believe it! After 6 trips to Costco, I finally took my phone to a Verizon store and the guy there upgraded something in my phone. I don't know what he upgraded but the sound is fine now. So, make sure there is a technician in the store that you go to. Good Luck!!dancedroid