Phone Call Reception

DylC32A

Reaction score
I noticed that whenever I receive or make a phone call, I can't get more than 3 bars of service and, as soon as I end the call, I immediately get 4 bars. Just wondering if this is normal or not or if there is something wrong with my phone. Thanks in advance.

iPirate

Reaction score
Does the phone call sound clear? If so, does the # of bars matter?

It might be possible the software lowers the transmitter power during a voice call. Or your head is between the phone and tower causing a loss of a bar.

lol :)

OP
D

DylC32A

Reaction score
Does the phone call sound clear? If so, does the # of bars matter?

It might be possible the software lowers the transmitter power during a voice call. Or your head is between the phone and tower causing a loss of a bar.

lol :)

Lol, it's clear enough, I suppose. I was just wondering if it was normal because it seems so automatic...as soon as the phone starts ringing the 4th bar disappears instantly.

mjs31

Reaction score
Bars don't mean anything. They are set up by the manufacturer and can be set to show you whatever they decide. If you go to settings, then down to the bottom and select about phone and then choose status you will see signal strength. The lower (Technically higher if you use the - sign) the number the stronger the signal. I did a comparison with a couple of blackberries. One curve and one the Tour. Both showed 4 bars to my 2 bars, but my signal strenght was a little bit better than theirs.

This being said, when you are on a call it tends to lock into your tower. When you are off the phone your bars tend to jump around with different signals. There is a more elaborate explination, but it is commong.

bigthinker

Reaction score
I noticed that whenever I receive or make a phone call, I can't get more than 3 bars of service and, as soon as I end the call, I immediately get 4 bars. Just wondering if this is normal or not or if there is something wrong with my phone. Thanks in advance.
Mine has always been showing low strength of signal on the calls but the sound and the reception are clear on both sides. Right now sitting in my home, there are 2 bars of strength...:motdroidhoriz:

Echo3

Reaction score
Mine is the quite the opposite. When I am not using the phone, it will show 1-2 bars, but if I use any data activity, it would immediately jump to 3-4 bars. Same with voice calls too. If I am not using any date or not making any calls, it would lower to 1-2 (sometimes 3) bars for the most part.

I wouldn't really worry much about it anyways. As long as the calls are clear and you're able to make/receive calls then that's all what really matter which is the most important thing.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow you guys can observe the oddest things! I would never even think to look at my bars on a call and then to see where it was when it hung up. Not knocking it, just saying.......