Phantom dialing, and not charger related

bbtkd

Reaction score
OK - I've had pretty good luck with my Moto Droid (got it the first day they came out) but tonight it did something bizarre. I had just tried to call my son, but he didn't answer so I ended the call and set the phone down still turned on. I looked down a few seconds later and it said it was connected to a local phone number I did not recognize. So - I hit end call. A few minutes later the person with that number called me back asking if I had called them. I didn't know them, they didn't know me, I don't know that number, it isn't anywhere else in my phone - yet it is a valid local exchange used mostly by Verizon customers.

I've seen posts about phantom dialing and texting while on a charger with insufficient power, but I was not charging it and all of my chargers are Droid chargers. This is really the only issue I've had with my phone and even though it is relatively minor, the puzzling thing is that if it chooses to dial a random number, what are the chances it calls our local area code and an exchange popular with Verizon customers? And no, I am not on that exchange. Any chance it was a hiccup in the local tower - and when I terminated a call it somehow connected me to another number someone else had dialed? I am running 2.0.1 and my phone has not been rooted. Anyone else seen their phone do that?

OP
bbtkd

bbtkd

Reaction score
Checked my log further and I got an incoming wrong number from that phone number a week ago. Still don't know why it picked that caller out of my log and called it, but at least it's not a mystery how it came up with a valid local number to call.

TravisA

Reaction score
I was starting to think that I was the only one having this problem. The only thing I can think of is that when you hit call end you might be holding it too long and it dials the number under your finger. It has happened to me about 4 times now.

OP
bbtkd

bbtkd

Reaction score
I was starting to think that I was the only one having this problem. The only thing I can think of is that when you hit call end you might be holding it too long and it dials the number under your finger. It has happened to me about 4 times now.

Yes, you are probably right. Sometimes when I push call end it doesn't do it or doesn't do it right away, so I tend to hold it.