Pandora v.s. DroidLive

wormywyrm

Reaction score
I've been giving last FM a chance lately but I always find myself going back to Pandora. It just seems to know me and what mood I am in.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've been giving last FM a chance lately but I always find myself going back to Pandora. It just seems to know me and what mood I am in.
Pandora is good, but I notice on a custom channel it plays the same 4 or 5 groups over and over again. I use Slacker mostly now and it appears to have a bigger playlist.

Reaction score
shoot i have pandora AND droidlive...along with iheartradio and last.fm

all free, all awesome...so why choose? this is the whole point of android..

it's literally impossible to not find something to listen to between those 4 (5 if i decide to download slacker again, but i'll have nothing to do with an app that erases even one persons anything) and my own music from the sd card...

Last edited:

ib2qwik2c

Reaction score
Pandora FTW.

From a computer you can really tune each station exactly how you want it. SOO many things you can do past the simple stuff.

Spend some time messing with it and it will reward you.

moot

Reaction score
I use pandora for music streaming, but I use stream furious for podcast and shoutcast streaming. I choose streamfurious over droidlive, due to its rss podcast feature.

LakeMountD

Reaction score
I just started using Droid Live and I must say it is fantastic. The bass is unreal in my car. I have a new Maxima and it has a great sound system and the difference between DL and Pandora was bigger than I thought.

Da Janx

Reaction score
I have been pondering getting Sirius just for the Howard Channels, using DroidLive Lite I get Howard 100 and Howard 101 for free. Alongside Pandora, iHeartRadio, and iMusic, there should be no problem finding stuff to listen to.

acturbo

Reaction score
Personally, after a few weeks with Pandora I found it to be very repetitive(kept getting the same songs over and over after a while). Droidlive always has something new for me to listen to so Pandora got the uninstall.

Griffin

Reaction score
Personally, after a few weeks with Pandora I found it to be very repetitive(kept getting the same songs over and over after a while). Droidlive always has something new for me to listen to so Pandora got the uninstall.

Agreed about Pandora. Still switch to it now and then when I want to hear those same dozen songs, LOL. But I will have to check out this DroidLive. You guys have talked me into it. I really do like Slacker though you can have several custom stations and tune them better than Pandora. Definitely more variety. Also you can just click on different genres to see what is out there. I like that.

On a side note there used to be a program called LaunchCast which was bought out by Yahoo that was amazing. You could change your station based on mood and other factors. It really really got to where it was like your own radio station. They key to the personalization was you would rate songs on a five star basis instead of just a heart like on Slacker or a thumbs up or down on Pandora. This really got your stations tuned in to your taste. And you could always lower or raise your rating to hear a song a little less or a little more. And they were really good about playing new stuff that fit my tastes. I was always finding new music I liked. Had my station for years until it recently got bought out again by ABC or CBS ,one of those acronyms, and they in their infinite wisdom got rid of the personalized stations and made it just another streaming radio station site.

Someone makes an app like that and I will be happy.

MonkeyTime

Reaction score
Hey Griffin, couldn't agree with you more. I had LaunchCast as part of my Yahoo to go subscription that I used on a Sansa Connect. It really was a great system and I also found a lot of new artists based on selecting one I liked. One of the best settings they had was the ability to adjust how mainstream you wanted your artist selection to be. I always had mine set towards the more obscure and I found I hadn't heard of a good majority of the artists they played.

FYI, the MP3 downloading side of things was bought out by Rhapsody. They transfered my account for free and it's comparable, but it costs more and you lose your dedicated "mood stations". Although, now that there is a Rhapsody App, I'm loving it. No more dedicated MP3 player to haul around, I can stream my library anywhere!

One new vote for Rhapsody. Pandora played only mainstream artists, and like someone mentioned before, the same artists over and over......

jasonb

Reaction score
DroidLive > Pandora.

I much prefer DroidLive over Pandora.

backlash

Reaction score
Now that I'm starting to use Pandora more, I noticed some of the songs repeat.

I use droidlive lite, just to listen to Howard Stern, haven't used it for other things yet.

I tried using last.fm, but it's playing edited songs, ie no explicit lyrics. That just messes up the song right there.

CatsvsDogs

Reaction score
Hey so I have the droid lite but I am only finding howard 101.Do I need the full version to pick up 100? Can't wait for flash player so I can just use the sirius online feature.

Last edited:

jasonb

Reaction score
the only issues i have seen with DroidLive is that it seems to hog more bandwidth. so if im in an area with not so good service it'll keep stopping to buffer. pandora seems to be a lot easier on bandwidth, i have streamed pandora over edge with no pauses to buffer.

Griffin

Reaction score
Hey Griffin, couldn't agree with you more. I had LaunchCast as part of my Yahoo to go subscription that I used on a Sansa Connect. It really was a great system and I also found a lot of new artists based on selecting one I liked. One of the best settings they had was the ability to adjust how mainstream you wanted your artist selection to be. I always had mine set towards the more obscure and I found I hadn't heard of a good majority of the artists they played.

FYI, the MP3 downloading side of things was bought out by Rhapsody. They transfered my account for free and it's comparable, but it costs more and you lose your dedicated "mood stations". Although, now that there is a Rhapsody App, I'm loving it. No more dedicated MP3 player to haul around, I can stream my library anywhere!

One new vote for Rhapsody. Pandora played only mainstream artists, and like someone mentioned before, the same artists over and over......
Wow. I will have to check into that as well. I still have my Yahoo! ID so all my settings should still be there. I wonder if I can get it all transferred over as you did? I didn't really use the mood influencers that much. I had forgotten about the mainstream vs. obscure selection as well. So you basically have to buy all the songs you rated and then you can stream them, or how does that work? I get no 3G or WiFi in my office and I really need to get off the Internet and back to work but I'll check that out when I get home. Thanks for the heads up, MonkeyTime.