Pairing Razr with tablet?

SCjeepGal

Reaction score
Is there a tablet on the market that would allow me to pair it with my Razr by way of bluetooth? Or would it require paying the wi-fi hotspot fee to my carrier? I'm too chicken to root or would just do that. Thanks in advance for any input.

Deron

Reaction score
I have successfully Bluetooth tethered my Razr to my GF's iPad2 and a Droid Xyboard in the Verizon store. And I tested them out. My Razr is not rooted. (I also stay away from rooting because I would be so pissed if I ruined my phone.)

Apparently Bluetooth Tether is native to Droid Razr (as well as Droid X) and is part of the phone's normal functions. You do not get charged extra for this feature. Just realize that any data streamed to your tablet while tethered is part of your phone's overall data use for that month. (I have unlimited data on my Razr.)

Two restrictions while Bluetooth tethered:

1. Bluetooth range is rather limited. You have to be within close range to your phone.

2. There appears to be a limit to the data streaming speed on the tablet when tethered. Even when using 4g on the Razr, the tethered tablet has trouble streaming video. In fact, it works better using 3g while tethered. Web browsing, email, looking at pics, and Facebook are good to go. But no YouTube or Netflix while Bluetooth tethered. Either the Bluetooth radio on the Razr is not fast enough or Verizon limits data speeds when Bluetooth tethered.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Bacappella

Reaction score
Can you point me to directions on how to make this happen?? Thanks for all your help!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Deron

Reaction score
I don't remember the exact steps, so you'll have to play around with it in the settings menus. But basically you turn on the Bluetooth on both devices and check the box in the Razr's Bluetooth settings menu to make your Razr "discoverable". Then when both devices see each other you can pair them and then "connect" them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Dan_08

Reaction score
Works with the Xoom as well. Pair devices then go to bluetooth setting on Tablet and select use for internet.

Bacappella

Reaction score
I was able to pair my eee pad transformer to my razr easily... this is a huge bonus...

Deron

Reaction score
I was able to pair my eee pad transformer to my razr easily... this is a huge bonus...

Cool. Do you have problems loading certain websites like Yahoo when tethered?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

Bacappella

Reaction score
It seemed like all the apps worked fine. I need to do more testing to be sure.

Deron

Reaction score
The reason I ask is because I am unable to load several web pages on an iPad2 while using the Razr's wifi mobile hotspot.

jrpbulk

Reaction score
I have paired my tprime and razr. Told the tablet to use bluetooth for internet and none of the web sites load. My razr is using my home wifi and can connect to the world. I didnt expect this to work (it didn't for me ) since i assumed VZ would prevent this.

I'd love to know how you got it to work with stock devices.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Deron

Reaction score
Was your Razr on the 4g or 3g network? I could only get it to pair to the tablets via Bluetooth and work correctly on the 3g network. 4g would not properly load web pages.

jrpbulk

Reaction score
@deron, i was not using 3 or 4 g iwas connected via my home wifi. I will try it using 3 or 4 g next.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

JT824

Reaction score
I just got an IPad2 and was able to tether with my Droid Razr using the Bluetooth to pair both devices. I don't post on forums much but, after getting this to work based information from another member here I was pretty excited. I initially had trouble pairing the devices, so I turned off the Bluetooth on my Razr and turned it back on. Then my Razr recognized saw the IPad along with several other devices where I live. I turned off my home WiFi to turn confirm and I was able to view several webpages with my IPad. The internet connection was a bit slower compared to my home WiFi, but whenever I am out and about with no WiFi, then this will work. Here are the steps I took:

1. Turn off WiFi on IPad
2. Turn off WiFi on Droid Razr
3. Go to Bluetooth on Droid Razr
4. Turn off Bluetooth, > then turn it back on > Select Discoverable
6. IPad > Settings > General > Bluetooth
7. It will scan then you should see Droid under Device list. The Droid Razr showed the IPad
8. I was prompted to confirm pairing on both devices, a code was also displayed on both devices.
9. I hit accept on both devices at the same time.
10.I went to Yahoo home page and confirmed I had internet on the IPad and browsed on a few different webpages to confirm

Good luck! :icon_ lala:

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Bluetooth's fine, but the speeds sucks. Install the Foxfi app from the market. It'll let you connect as a hotspot without rooting and without the extra $30 per month charge. However, if you're going to be using this a lot, you should probably consider the $30 per month.

JT824

Reaction score
Bluetooth's fine, but the speeds sucks. Install the Foxfi app from the market. It'll let you connect as a hotspot without rooting and without the extra $30 per month charge. However, if you're going to be using this a lot, you should probably consider the $30 per month.

I looked for Foxfi but couldn't find, is it a different name?