Overwhelmed!

iphoneater

Reaction score
What an incredible forum for users of a product. I had no idea this kind of think existed. However, now I'm overwhelmed. I have had my Droid now for almost two months. Based on all these forum's I am nowhere near using this phone to its full capabilities. Boy, does this techno-challenged guy have a lot to learn. I have some questions for now:

1. Can anyone tell me how to get my sbcglobal.net email to come to my phone? Folks at Verizon couldn't get it to work. I'm getting my hotmail email, but cannot seem to get the sbcglobal.net email

2. When I read my email on phone, is there a way for it to register on my laptop that the email has already been read? (and visa-versa, when I read on laptop, can it show as already read on my phone?) As it is now, ALL emails show up on both devices as unread until I open the file?

3. Is there a way to put Outlook on my Droid? THen, is there a way to sync the Outlook on my laptop with my Droid? Sure would be nice to have access to my calendar to view appointments both on my laptop and my phone. That and be able to make appointments on either device and have it show up on both devices. (Note, it's just normal Outlook, not exchange server, whatever that is.)

4. Is there a way to get the music on my ipod to my phone? Again, sure would be nice to have just one device for everything.

Maybe I'm having delusions of grandeur in hoping that this phone can be my all in once mobile office?

THanks for your help

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What an incredible forum for users of a product. I had no idea this kind of think existed. However, now I'm overwhelmed. I have had my Droid now for almost two months. Based on all these forum's I am nowhere near using this phone to its full capabilities. Boy, does this techno-challenged guy have a lot to learn. I have some questions for now:

1. Can anyone tell me how to get my sbcglobal.net email to come to my phone? Folks at Verizon couldn't get it to work. I'm getting my hotmail email, but cannot seem to get the sbcglobal.net email

2. When I read my email on phone, is there a way for it to register on my laptop that the email has already been read? (and visa-versa, when I read on laptop, can it show as already read on my phone?) As it is now, ALL emails show up on both devices as unread until I open the file?

3. Is there a way to put Outlook on my Droid? THen, is there a way to sync the Outlook on my laptop with my Droid? Sure would be nice to have access to my calendar to view appointments both on my laptop and my phone. That and be able to make appointments on either device and have it show up on both devices. (Note, it's just normal Outlook, not exchange server, whatever that is.)

4. Is there a way to get the music on my ipod to my phone? Again, sure would be nice to have just one device for everything.

Maybe I'm having delusions of grandeur in hoping that this phone can be my all in once mobile office?

THanks for your help

1. You should set up all your mail to be forwarded to google. You can do this in gmail on line in the settings.

2. If you have gmail set up as your primary mail account and have the other mail forwarded that will happen. It doesn't say read but it will be a bit grayed out.

3. Yes, google that one please. I think it will cost you 30.00, there may even be an ad on the forum page. There is another way to do it and that's in the faq section. My understanding is you'll want to pay the money.

4. If you have an ipod do you not use iTunes? If you have iTunes you can download it with a free application that you download on your computer called double twist. Sorry, I don't know much about iPods.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I fell your pain. i am new to Droid and only slightly ahead of you, but I can answer a couple

Q1 To add another email account Menu>Settings>Accounts & sync>Add new account. From there you will need some info the email administrator will have to give you. The account i added was from work. The IT guys gave me the info

Q3 There is probably a better way. I was told the normal aps to sync Outlook would not work in Vista or Win 7. I run Vista, so I call Verizon. They forwarded me to Motorola. M had me download something. (can't remeber what, but you can call too)Now my Outlook email, contacts, and calendar sync automatically with out even needing to connect the Droid to the computer

R1Lover

Reaction score
I fell your pain. i am new to Droid and only slightly ahead of you, but I can answer a couple

Q1 To add another email account Menu>Settings>Accounts & sync>Add new account. From there you will need some info the email administrator will have to give you. The account i added was from work. The IT guys gave me the info

Q3 There is probably a better way. I was told the normal aps to sync Outlook would not work in Vista or Win 7. I run Vista, so I call Verizon. They forwarded me to Motorola. M had me download something. (can't remeber what, but you can call too)Now my Outlook email, contacts, and calendar sync automatically with out even needing to connect the Droid to the computer

the only way #3 works like that is if you are using an exchange based email.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
No, its not the only way.

Download Google Sync for your PC and sync it to your Gmail account that has your contacts, calendar and such, and you can have it sync for you between devices.

motion

Reaction score

THanks for your help
My first post. Glad I could use it to help somebody.., I've gotten many tips and info here in the little time since I have joined this group. Here is your answer to question # 1

1. access email
2. Go to add account
3. enter username : *****@sbcglobal.net
4. enter password : *****
5. POP3 server : pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com
6. port : 110
7. Securuty type : none

Last edited:
OP
I

iphoneater

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I'll be checking out all the suggestions and hopefully be on my way.

R1Lover

Reaction score
No, its not the only way.

Download Google Sync for your PC and sync it to your Gmail account that has your contacts, calendar and such, and you can have it sync for you between devices.

the statement was this "Now my Outlook email, contacts, and calendar sync automatically with out even needing to connect the Droid to the computer "

Again this will not happen on it's own... it has to be done manually, the only way for auto sync is with exchange or gmail. :) and if he or she sync'd outlook manually with gmail then yes you can transfer the info, but automatically syncing with outlook is a different story.

zakany

Reaction score

That may be because sbcglobal.net uses Yahoo and Yahoo doesn't support IMAP.

The server for sbcglobal is pop.att.yahoo.com. It's POP3, port 995 and uses SSL.

That's a downfall of using POP. IMAP syncs much better without those annoying double-messages or messages that are picked up on only one device.

Without using an Exchange server (usually for corporate email systems), you can rube goldberg this through gmail. I believe Google has some free programs that will sync your computer's Outlook account with your gmail mail and calendar.

4. Is there a way to get the music on my ipod to my phone? Again, sure would be nice to have just one device for everything
I'm not familiar with iPods. If you can save your music as mp3s, you can certainly move them over to your Droid. Probably the easiest way is to save your iPod music on your computer, mount your Droid as a drive on that computer, then copy-paste those music files onto the Droid's SD card (may want to make a folder for them first!).