Overclock Kernels

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wonder has anyone set some profiles an underclocked for a day to see if it made a difference?

I'm going to try this tomorrow and underclock to 764mhz to see if it helps any.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I set mine down but the cpu continued to spool up to 1024. What gives?

You have to disable perflock on HTC devices. Menu>disable perflock.

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
Is there any update to this? Do we have a kernel yet? If not, what email address at htc should we email about this?

HTC - Developer Center

There is the current up to date status on their released codes. Seeing as how they already have the Inspire's source code out, which hasn't been out that long, seems the Thunderbolt's should be soon to follow.

Not sure who to contact about this though.

I reported it at gpl-violations.org and the response is got was "not again, I'll be contacting them shortly. Thanks..."

That was a couple days ago. He said it was definitely a gpl violation and that htc is definitely a repeat offender...

Sent from my Droid running whatever ROM and Kernel I chose to use today...

ridobe

Reaction score

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is there any update to this? Do we have a kernel yet? If not, what email address at htc should we email about this?

HTC - Developer Center

There is the current up to date status on their released codes. Seeing as how they already have the Inspire's source code out, which hasn't been out that long, seems the Thunderbolt's should be soon to follow.

Not sure who to contact about this though.

I reported it at gpl-violations.org and the response is got was "not again, I'll be contacting them shortly. Thanks..."

That was a couple days ago. He said it was definitely a gpl violation and that htc is definitely a repeat offender...

Sent from my Droid running whatever ROM and Kernel I chose to use today...

Awesome! Thanks for doing that! I hope it finally makes HTC get off their arses lol

@ridobe
Np ;-), I've been running underclocking to 764mhz not really sure its doing much though. The screen on this thing drains battery like crazy lol. I have noticed that setting the screen off profile to the lowest clock speed has helped while in standby though.

Last edited:

givmedew

Reaction score
Are you guys underclocking with setcpu?

How does underclocking help? It doesn't make sense to me.

Let not even think system overhead and just compare lets say 750 mhz to 1000mhz

If it takes us 10 seconds to decode information to install a file with 1ghz not even figuring in overhead it would take us 13.3 seconds to decode that file at 750mhz that means that our screen would be on an extra 3.3 seconds and that we would be running the cpu for an extended time but at a lower current draw.

So unless the current draw increases EXPONENTIALLY as the frequency goes up then underclocking can only increase battery draw since it will use the same energy itself over the longer period of time and it will cause us to wait longer for things with the backlight on.

So unless there is proof that I am unaware of that the CPU does not draw power in a linear way and does draw it exponentially as the frequency rises then underclocking doesn't help while the screen is on.

Now if for example @750mhz the cpu draws 10 pretend units of power vs 20 pretend units of power @1ghz and that the difference in draw is significant enough to provide a saving even after the screen stays on longer then ok but has anyone proved that?

If so let me know so I can underclock my phone.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Lets say that my phone, granted i dont have a tbolt, is set to use 76 pretend units at full speed (which it is, in vsel), and clocking it down to the next lowest stage puts it at 52 pretend units (which it does in vsel).

The saving versus time, granted is miniscule, but is there.
Edit/ for 20% more time with cpu being used, there is a 22.x% drop in vsel. This is stock settings. I know that the phone will run reliably at 1000 mhz at 45 vsel.

Last edited: