OTA Root

zkrp5108

Reaction score
Ok so I rooted and now that the OTA is coming out I was wondering I am rooted running 2.1 with sense I am stock besides the root. I used Unrevoked3. So my question is will I be prompted to update and if so will it just install the OTA or will it brick my phone becasue its rooted and if so can I even unroot. Thanks yea I'am new to this.

VertoX7

Reaction score
From what I've read is if you just did the unrevoked 3 and rooted 2.1, you will still be able to update to the OTA 2.2 but it will remove the root. So once the update installs it will be as if you did nothing to your phone.

Unrevoked now has a thing which is call unrevoked forever, which the name kinda says it, that will S-Off your phone and allow you to get the update and still be able to root your phone. I'm still unsure of what exactly will happen. All the stuff I've been reading is pretty vague on the issue. I'm not sure if you will be able to get the OTA or if you would have to install the RUU or what. I'm still waiting on that answer.

I just unrevoked forever on my phone today and it worked. Hoping all goes well with the update.

This kind of explains it: public:forever [RootWiki]

VertoX7

Reaction score
RUU is Rom Upgrade Utility. It's basically the official offline upgrade for your phone. It's the full upgrade and will wipe and update your phone.

VertoX7

Reaction score
Just got a little clarification on the OTA update. You will not be able to receive the OTA update if you have a custom recovery, still not sure about using the RUU though. From what I found out is you have to install the original recovery that came with your phone, install the OTA then reinstall the custom recovery again, then install an update.zip to get rooted again. Now the only way to reinstall the custom recovery is to use the unrevoked forever before you install the OTA.

So unrevoked forever, original recovery, OTA update, custom recovery, update.zip for su. It really should be an easier process than that...

Steps here http://unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php/public/forever#reinstalling_an_official_recovery

Last edited:
OP
Z

zkrp5108

Reaction score
Ok so I guess my main question then is what if I don't care that I'm rooted I think I would rather just stick to stock since I really don't know what I am doin with this stuff. Do i just skip those steps for re rooting

VertoX7

Reaction score
You will still need to install the original recovery since unrevoked 3 installed a custom recovery and the OTA from my understanding will not successfully install while using a custom recovery.

You can download the original recovery from here: [Recovery] Stock 2.1 Recovery Image for DI - xda-developers

Place the PB31IMG.zip on the root of your sd card, power off your phone and then load into HBOOT (hold volume down while pressing the power button) and once it gets into HBOOT it should ask you if you want to install the update. Select yes. Once you have done this and installed the OTA you WILL NOT be able to root your phone, well until someone figures out how to root 2.2 without having to go though 2.1 first. So this will put your phone completely back to stock, no root no nothing allowing you to get the OTA.

OP
Z

zkrp5108

Reaction score
Ok so two questions if Im going to do this installing that pb31img.zip what do you mean by "install on the root of sd card". and Last that RUU can I be rooted to use that or do you have to be stock because I know that the leaked RUU is the same as the OTA so should I just use that instead of unrooting and getting the OTA. Sorry Im a noob I know. Youve been a great help so far and I appreciate it alot I really dont know what I am doing with this rotting stuff Porbably never should have lol.

VertoX7

Reaction score
You just place it on the root of the sd card, meaning it's not in any folder or what not. Then when you boot your phone in HBOOT it should recognize that file and ask you to update. I'm not sure about the RUU. I don't know if it will work with a custom recovery or not. I haven't found anything saying it will or won't. I have a feeling it should since I believe it does basically a full reload on the phone, that's why it will wipe everything on the phone. But I have not confirmed this. I know the OTA is the best and safest way to get the update though.