OTA keyboard question

keiichi25

Reaction score
I forced updated mine manually, and so far, I have not had issues with the Physical Keyboard not lighting up. I also did as you suggested, which was powering it down completely and power it back up and the keyboard still lights up.

The only time I saw it 'flickering' is due to Locale flipping my wallpaper during the beginning, but afterwards, it still comes up without an issue. So I don't know what to say why it seems to be a problem for you guys.

boatman2220

Reaction score
I manually updated mine a day or so ago, updated my nephew's last night. No problems so far. It seems faster, and the touch seems more responsive.

Jordie

Reaction score
I still got problems with my menu and keyboard back light. It doesn't turn on at all until I turn on the automatic brightness and turn it off. But that's only a temporary fix. When I turn off my phone and turn it back on it stops working again. Is there a fix to this? I started getting this problem after the OTA update by air last night.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I still got problems with my menu and keyboard back light. It doesn't turn on at all until I turn on the automatic brightness and turn it off. But that's only a temporary fix. When I turn off my phone and turn it back on it stops working again. Is there a fix to this? I started getting this problem after the OTA update by air last night.

Did you restart the phone and then do a battery pull?

Jordie

Reaction score

Did you restart the phone and then do a battery pull?

Yes I did.

Jordie

Reaction score
Well I noticed, as soon as you turn on your phone it doesn't work. But if you were to dock the droid on the station or get a notification or something it starts working again.

Alcapwn89

Reaction score
Perhaps they changed how the light-sensor inside the droid works now? Maybe it needs a greater shift in light to activate the glowing keys now.

I mean everyone knows how goddamn hyperactive that little sensor was at times...

saidydoll

Reaction score
droid forum newbie

found you guys because i was having issues w/my keyboard lighting up after i updated my system. powered off...power on...seems to do.

madrsx

Reaction score
before the update, my physical keyboard lit up whenever i slid it out. also, the soft keys lit up if i was using them. if i was not using the soft keys, they dimmed. then, just as the screen was dimming (about five seconds before auto screen shut off), the soft keys would light up again.

since the update, the physical keyboard and the soft keys do not light up at all if i'm in a bright room, even with presses or sliding keyboard out. however, if i go into the dark, both the keyboard and the soft keys light up after about 2-3 seconds. also, the soft keys no longer light up when the screen dims in preparation for auto shut off.

i wonder if these changes were part of the battery saving features built into the update?

Spankyy24

Reaction score
I'm no techi, but it seems to me that they changed the sensitivity with the update. This works on mine, try it out. Go into a bright room, pull the keyboard out. If your keyboard doesn't light up, take your finger and cover the camera lense (that's where the light sensor is, I'm pretty sure) give it about 2 seconds and the keyboard lights come on. Take your finger off the camera lense, wait a few seconds, the lights go off. It seems they changed the light sensity. Freaked me out too at first.

Tekmazter

Reaction score
Okay, i'll throw my fix into the mix here.

I went to settings and adjusted the brightness control and then set the control back to what it was and voila! I had the keyboard back light once again. I go the recommendation from here:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/19638?tstart=5

From the URL above: This behavior is common with both OTA and manual update. Simply change your screen setting to something else and then back where yo uwant it and all will be OK again.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't have any problems with the backlight after the update. But I did do mine manually, it really shouldn't make a difference how the update was installed.