OTA 2.3.340 for Droid X

Droid_Boi86

Reaction score
....i unrooted and tried one of my rooted apps and it wont work so i'm guesin i unrooted my phone, i even type "SU" in terminal emulater and it says "permission Denied" so another comfirmation that i'm not rooted anymore...

okay, i downloaded the new update (2.3.340) and when i go to installin it. it seems to install it but it gets interrupted and goes into Clockwork recovery...then when i reboot the phone it say "update failed"..

whats happenin?...how can i get this update...without being rooted or have flash SBF's..

any help would be amazing...

thetomas

Reaction score
I didn't unroot, but i had a similar problem with the update. If you have any modifications to your build.prop file (intentional or otherwise) like wifi scan time, lcd density, or any number of other changes some tweaks make, then you will get an error when trying to update. I searched a bit and found the stock build.prop file online, placed it in the /system dir where it belongs, and then had no problem updating. Obviously, to mess with /system, you WILL have to be rooted, so i'd re-root your device and give that a shot. Otherwise, as far as I know, you don't have to unroot to update, at least I didn't, but you will have to root again after the update.

Good luck

the5barrons

Reaction score
I didn't unroot, but i had a similar problem with the update. If you have any modifications to your build.prop file (intentional or otherwise) like wifi scan time, lcd density, or any number of other changes some tweaks make, then you will get an error when trying to update. I searched a bit and found the stock build.prop file online, placed it in the /system dir where it belongs, and then had no problem updating. Obviously, to mess with /system, you WILL have to be rooted, so i'd re-root your device and give that a shot. Otherwise, as far as I know, you don't have to unroot to update, at least I didn't, but you will have to root again after the update.

Good luck

I used chkmates boot pic changer. Is that a update killer...? I had the same issue. Fails on update and goes to clockwork.

OP
Droid_Boi86

Droid_Boi86

Reaction score

Good luck

Since I rooted my phone, I did not heavily modify anything...I just flash one ROM and that's the ROM I have been using ever since...so when I decided to unroot I flash to my bone stock backup...

So u don't know what's up with it...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

dtt255

Reaction score

Good luck

Tried this and it still didn't work.....hmm.....I dont know what I did to not make this thing work! grrrrrrrrrrrr

bobsdroidx

Reaction score
....i unrooted and tried one of my rooted apps and it wont work so i'm guesin i unrooted my phone, i even type "SU" in terminal emulater and it says "permission Denied" so another comfirmation that i'm not rooted anymore...

okay, i downloaded the new update (2.3.340) and when i go to installin it. it seems to install it but it gets interrupted and goes into Clockwork recovery...then when i reboot the phone it say "update failed"..

whats happenin?...how can i get this update...without being rooted or have flash SBF's..

any help would be amazing...
I'm having the same problem. Im rooted using z4root. using the 928blackglass theme. thats all.

cubsfan187

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. I have Super Manager and don't know where to copy the build.prop into to change it. I did nothing more than metamorph a few notification icons and now I can't update to the new software. Any ideas??

OP
Droid_Boi86

Droid_Boi86

Reaction score
I don't know whats up, but I just updated successfully. But that's after I flashed another backup I had of my stock....
And this backup was the one I made just after I rooted..like within 5 minutes if rooting...
But now I gotta re-root my phone now.
Hope everyone that encountered this hopefully gets it resolved.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score

Good luck

I used chkmates boot pic changer. Is that a update killer...? I had the same issue. Fails on update and goes to clockwork.

Actually I use a boot logo zip like anyone else would use. I take ones picture, size it, make it into a logo.bin file and merge it with a zip folder.

And I'm guessing since it changes system files in order to boot up a different image, then it could be something the update checks before updating your phone. Therefore it would not allow an update.

When they say you need your phone "back to stock" before an update, that's what they mean. This is why so many people suggest a sbf flash vs. trying to restore and change back everything you've changed on your own.

c]=[k(V)8's Droid X Tapatalk

bobsdroidx

Reaction score
i flashed back to my rooted back up.Dont have any apps deleted/renamed etc..stock rom and theme.. Unrooted and tried to install the update. It downloaded. rebooted and when it gets to the main screen after you unlock it it says the update failed. Idk whats going on. tried about half a dozen times on the 3 different back ups i have made.

zuckerj

Reaction score
Just wanted to re-affirm to all those that have rooted their phone that you can safely run the update to 2.3.340 without any problems if you haven't deleted any bloatware nor applied any ROMs or themes.

Essentially I only rooted my phone to run certain pieces of software, I hadn't done anything further.

(Posting this because I wished it was easier to find a message like this before I applied the update)

Jz.

donnycouchpotato

Reaction score
what if I do a hard reset to factory default after I unrooted, theoretically that should work, no? It would require resetting everything back to the way i like, but hey, arent some pains part of the game?

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
For update...must have stock rom (no theme/rom), must be odexed, must remove bootstrap, and all bloat must be there with proper permissions.

donnycouchpotato

Reaction score
ahhhh... so being rooted alone wont stop the update, its not being stock that will. Got it, looks like I need to reimage to put back the bloat crap. Only so i can remove it again :) Verizon, what a bunch of a-holes.