OTA 2.1 update opinions

phatkat66

Reaction score
Im just wondering if there would be any reason/advantage to unroot and go to the OTA 2.1 update.

Im currently on adamZ SG 6.0 2.1 ESE53

I love it but im noticing my gmail isn't pushing right away, my yahoo email everytime i check it, it comes back 10 minutes later with the same email. The led light doesnt come on when screen is on (but i hear its a 2.1 thing not the ROM itself) the music also doesnt skip/pause for a second when a text/calls come in which is very crucial. Alot of people hated it but it always let me know i had a text/call when im on the go and my phone is still on vibrate or silent from leaving work.

Any reason to switch? Thanks =)

kygator1

Reaction score
I made a post about this last week and not much feedback but So i went back to stock and updated to 2.1 and have been happy ever since.I was running Droidmod for a good while and tried other stuff on rom manager but during all that time i would have fc and issues pop up.That will not work for me something that i want to work and work fine all the time I like all the hard work that devs put in to there roms but without support and back up like the big v has your going to get that .Plus I paid for DM and was glad to but there lack of updating to my satification let me down also lost interest in them and then they made some wierd comments about not ever rooting 2.1 and I understand somewhat why, but from a paying cumtomer and business man i didn't get it. I'm happy to be plain again for now...

OP
P

phatkat66

Reaction score
Thats very helpful thanks. Thats actually my problem now, i stick with Smoked Glass from AdamZ for so long but he hasn't made even a post in a month now. Starting to feel like he got bored of the project and just left it alone. I dont get any FC but i deal with the small issues i posted above.

From a plain 2.1 do you deal with any issues i noted above? Thats my biggest concern, along with the whole outlook of the phone. Never was fond of the white notification bar, too bright for my taste.

nateccnn

Reaction score
I can't remember where I saw it but a few weeks ago I found where Adam was posting test roms for people to try out. He's been working on ROMs. I don't know if it was 2.1 or what flavor of 2.1 for that matter. But rest assurd...just because he doesn't update posts on droid forums doesn't mean he is not working of something for us freeloaders. I also heard he had a family vacation to attend to. Can't blame him for that.

I keep wondering if I should give the official OTA 2.1 a chance. I did force the update at one point and was not happy due to the lagginess. But later realized I may not have flushed my cache and data files when I did the forced update. So I may give it another shot. My phone keeps telling me I have an update available and I think I might just accept it this afternoon. I'll make sure I flush the cache and data this time and report back in a day or two. I'd hate to lose over clocking...but I am bored and need to try something new anyhow. Why not an OTA update?

Nate

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I've been running stock 2.1 since release and the reason I prefer it is because of the stability and reliability.

I NEED my device to work ALWAYS for business reasons and I don't want to be tinkering with it constantly.

2.1 offers that. So it's just a matter of personal preference I would say.

JayCizzo

Reaction score
I'm debating doing this as well. For me, it's due to high temps. I'm going to revert to by 2.0.1 rooted stock ROM and see how the temps are. If they are lower than I'll upgrade to 2.1 and probably forget about messing with my phone anymore. I will miss the custom themes but oh well.

OP
P

phatkat66

Reaction score
I can't remember where I saw it but a few weeks ago I found where Adam was posting test roms for people to try out. He's been working on ROMs. I don't know if it was 2.1 or what flavor of 2.1 for that matter. But rest assurd...just because he doesn't update posts on droid forums doesn't mean he is not working of something for us freeloaders. I also heard he had a family vacation to attend to. Can't blame him for that.

I keep wondering if I should give the official OTA 2.1 a chance. I did force the update at one point and was not happy due to the lagginess. But later realized I may not have flushed my cache and data files when I did the forced update. So I may give it another shot. My phone keeps telling me I have an update available and I think I might just accept it this afternoon. I'll make sure I flush the cache and data this time and report back in a day or two. I'd hate to lose over clocking...but I am bored and need to try something new anyhow. Why not an OTA update?

Nate

I figured he went away or had an emergency, im not bashing him for not updating just wanted to know what was up. I usually check his Name for "latest posts" so im not in any specific thread, just checking exactly what his last post was which is march 16. Unless he has another sn.

But im going through the same thing as you, im bored lol and i don't wanna lose OC, mine is ALWAYS at 800 thats the "normal" for me now and i push it to 1000 when playing exzeus or somethin, so to go back to 550, is like CRAP.... i hope they root 2.1 and i REALLY hope devs aren't getting bored with the droid =(

I might make a nandroid backup of my current setup and push the Official 2.1 if i dont like it (which i probably wont cuz i hate the white notification box) then ill figure out how to revert back to a custom 2.1 ... it jus sucks im feeling so limited at the moment

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've been running stock 2.1 since release and the reason I prefer it is because of the stability and reliability.

I NEED my device to work ALWAYS for business reasons and I don't want to be tinkering with it constantly.

2.1 offers that. So it's just a matter of personal preference I would say.

+1. I think it's often forgotten in the ongoing debate over rooting/custom roms vs. stock that the choice is sometimes based on the requirements that a Droid must meet, not the expertise of the user. I don't have the luxury of having a Droid that exhibits odd behavior triggered by a rom that, while perhaps very well designed, has no support other than a small community of developers who may or may not be available to fix problems.

A case in point is a known bug in voice search in the 2.1 update that does not enable a user to dial a number from a google result set. I'm confident that the bug is being addressed and will be fixed promptly. And the fact that it has been reported to Google by literally dozens of users largely eliminates "user error" and "odd configuration" as explanations.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Forgot to mention as well phatkat.

Xeudoxus, who is a dev here, does some great things for "stockers" so some great options may becoming available.

Wuyanks of the News Team just interviewed him today and he will be posting that interview sometime soon.

OP
P

phatkat66

Reaction score
Forgot to mention as well phatkat.

Xeudoxus, who is a dev here, does some great things for "stockers" so some great options may becoming available.

Wuyanks of the News Team just interviewed him today and he will be posting that interview sometime soon.

Thats cool news, I seen the thread welcoming him aboard the forum. But that thread didnt go far. I don't know much about his work but im looking forward to seeing what he brings.

gruve

Reaction score
2.1 OTA/forced update is a POS imo. I would have rather stayed rooted with roms than deal with the sluggish slow update.

OP
P

phatkat66

Reaction score
2.1 OTA/forced update is a POS imo. I would have rather stayed rooted with roms than deal with the sluggish slow update.

Sluggish? Can you explain a little more?

And im not sure but if you don't like the OTA 2.1 can't you just revert back to a custom rom?

Im thinkin of ways in my head but they all kinda involve root and with 2.1 there's no root, so are you stuck in OTA 2.1 ?

My biggest peeve with the roms is idk something isn't working until its too late and i try to get it working.... like google maps, i tried getting my car dock to work but it wont work without google maps and it had to be removed in the beginning of the SG 6.0 .... same with the facebook app, i cant update it for some reason and i cant sync my contacts either.

Last edited:

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Not sure why you are experiencing a sluggish and slow UI. It's been running extremely well on my device Live wallpapers and all.