Optimal sdcard setup?

kwest12

Reaction score
Hi all. I just received the 32GB sdcard that I ordered for my Bionic. I've never really paid much attention to how my storage has been formatted, partitioned, but I got to wondering about it and happened to find this HUGE thread about different formats (fat32, fat, ext4, ext3, other stuff I don't understand, etc).

It went through partitioning, formatting, and a slew of other stuff that is WAAAAAAAAY over my head. The one thing it never did was tell me how to set up my sdcard for optimal performance.

Can someone please help?

OP
kwest12

kwest12

Reaction score
Bump. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
its really not worth over thinking, it has to be fat 32 for the phone to recognize it.
there is no magical setup, just go with the quality high class cards.
i have never needed to try anything else.

OP
kwest12

kwest12

Reaction score
High quality card: check. I will leave it as is and just format it with the phone as usual.

I have a follow-up question of sorts: coming from my Droid X and being a power user, I experience the "out of memory" error and slowdowns like crazy. I install a ton of apps and switch back and forth very quickly. I really really really dislike lag, so I'm wondering what the best way is to make sure I don't run into the same problems with the Bionic. This is actually why I was asking about the sdcard - I was wondering if I should be having apps installed to it or messing with partition sizes, etc.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
imo, if its not broke, i wouldnt try to fix it. i think you may get lag by moving apps to the sd.
i used to move apps to the sd, after a while of not noticing any benefit, i just stopped doing it.
there really is is no benefit to partitioning unless you have a specific need for it. its not going to make the card read or write faster, or reduce any potential lag.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
bweN diorD is right. With apps on the SD card, if you are multi-tasking and moving back and forth between multiple apps, it will take longer to cache the apps into memory slowing things down. The only way to reduce lag for people who install lots of apps and like to run multiple at once is to keep an eye on the available RAM in the Manage Apps section - Running Apps. Be careful to keep the REALLY BIG apps running to a minimum and try to shut down any apps you really don't need cached.

Also, you can go into development and change the number background processes allowed, though that will certainly cause apps you don't use as often to be killed. Also, clicking the "don't keep activities", will speed things up appreciably but I believe it will essentially take your phone back to the one-app-at-a-time running mode.