A Harrowing Tale of Incredible Rooting

vbhines

Reaction score
I thought I would share my experiences rooting the HTC Incredible with others in case I wasn't the only one with this issues. Let me start by saying that this information will only be beneficial to anyone who was as idiotic as me and tried to "fix" their internal storage by formatting it AFTER root using gparted Live. So, as a precursor, that's what I did.

I folloowed the 10 Minute YouTube Root Method

I used unrEVOked2 to install ClockworkMod

I installed CyanogenMod-5.0.8-Test1. Everything was wonderful, then I updated to CyanogenMod-5.0.8-Test3. Rebooted and.......boot loop! Forever! I went back into recovery and noticed that Clockwork COULD NOT mount not only /cache, but also couldn't mount /data. I searched everywhere online for an answer. I trolled IRC for help. I even tweeted koush and cyanogen. No one seemed to be able to help me. I figured out I was able to reinstall the Test1 mod, but I couldn't update my recovery image, and I couldn't install any other ROMs. Here's what I figured out:

I guess, and I haven't had anyone confirm this, that because there has been no permanent unlock of the Incredible's NAND, the recovery image and custom ROMs basically install /data and /cache to the internal 8gb card, which must be why we can't use them within the ROMs. As a side note, if anyone has figured out how to use that precious 8gb, PLEASE let me know.

So, I noticed while running in recovery that it was trying to mount them at /dev/block/blkmmc0p1 and blkmmc0p2, which I eventually figured out was the emmc 8gb card (duh). I loaded a copy of parted onto my recovery through ADB, and saw that the recovery didn't even recognize my partitions on the emmc card. Here's where things get interesting!

I used parted to delete ALL of my emmc paritions. I then recreated the original partition structure using ext2 for /data, ext2 for cache, and the balance as free fat32. I still couldn't mount them using "mount -a", because, as I realized, the fstab file (type: # cat /etc/fstab) was looking for ext3 partitions. Try as I might, I could NOT find a way to convert them to ext3 using the tools available from recovery (it's not full-blown linux of course, so upgrade_fs wasn't available in my recovery tool).

So, I used adb to "pull" my fstab file from /etc/fstab onto my laptop. I then manually edited it to look for ext2 partitions instead of ext3. I then pushed it back to my sdcard. I then went back to adb shell, used chmod to change the permissions of both the /sdcard/fstab and the /etc/fstab, then copied over my /sdcard/fstab and overwrote the /etc/fstab with my edited copy. I then typed "mount -a" and, low and behold, /data and /cache could be mounted again!

Note: I rebooted at this point, and Clockwork Recovery wiped out ALL of these changes. I supposed, at least in the state MY phone was in, all changes were overwritten at reboot. So, I had to go through ALL of the above steps again.

Anyway, once you're here, with /data and /cache mounted again, I pushed the Test3 update.zip onto my sdcard again, and then installed the ROM. I then installed the google-apps add-on. I then rebooted, and, IT WORKED! It booted right into CyanogenMod. I'm not sure how it happened, but those new emmc partitions ended up somehow changing back over to ext3...again, don't ask me how.

So, I'm just posting this to help anyone else. If anyone is having the same trouble and needs help recreating their emmc partitions to the exact size and format that Clockwork will be looking for, please message me and I'd be happy to help.

Happy rooting to all, and to all a good night!

raskolnik

Reaction score
I hope someone reads this, because I'm having the same problem. Parted doesn't exist on my phone, though, so I need to figure out a way to get it on there, then figure out what size the partitions need to be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.