only two wifi bars

M

Matth3w

This drives me a little nuts that I can be two feet from my router and get such a crap connection. Before I had a linksys wrt54g but now I have the standard verizon one that they use with their fios service. Maybe I need to adjust settings

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Lol... I was just thinking I've seen you have router problems before, lol. I can't attest as to the VZW but in general most of those provider routers are absolute crap (I know some people that have AT&T and Comcast branded ones and they are the worst/cheapest POS you can get).

By odd chance did this start when/if you loaded the new Taz kernel(s)? Could be something in the wi-fi patch/fix he released.

What was the signal strength for the Linksys?

Edit: actually I have noticed sometimes that mine 'reports' a weak signal but it doesn't really appear to effect the speed. This only happens on the router I have in the barn which is a dual-channel (yes, I have a router in the horse barn:icon_ banana:) but on my single band in the house it reports fine. How are your actual speeds (speedtest.net reports)?

OP
M

Matth3w

It has always been the same...but I didn't load the Taz kernel.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Aside from the 'bars' how does the signal strength read from within the wireless settings screen (i.e. poor, fair excellent)??

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Every time I've ever turned on wifi the highest I've ever seen the signal strength get was 2 bars....

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't, mine adapts according to signal strength:

Attachments

• wifistatus1.jpg
    wifistatus1.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 276
  • wifistatus2.jpg
    wifistatus2.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 390