Only 16GB and No Micro SD a dealbreaker?

harp666

Reaction score
Same here..was tempted to switch from my RAZR MaxxHD and pay full retail for the DNA..but with jellybean update around the corner for the maxx hd I have decided to pass regardless of the dna screen and other features.
Almost got me but memory and battery limitations are to much of an issue for me.

jkaetz

Reaction score
Lack of microsd is cause for pause, but I'm likely going to do it. I too will be replacing my thunderbolt with 64 gig microsd. Data is not an issue for me as I'll be paying more up front to stay unlimited as long as I can. Being outside of coverage is an issue from time to time but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Those who want to carry extra batteries might as well simply carry one of the portable chargers instead. While you couldn't simply swap and go, I'm sure you could manage to plug in at times to keep the main battery charged. That has been my solution to long flights even though I have a swappable battery.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
jkaetz said:
Lack of microsd is cause for pause, but I'm likely going to do it. I too will be replacing my thunderbolt with 64 gig microsd. Data is not an issue for me as I'll be paying more up front to stay unlimited as long as I can. Being outside of coverage is an issue from time to time but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Those who want to carry extra batteries might as well simply carry one of the portable chargers instead. While you couldn't simply swap and go, I'm sure you could manage to plug in at times to keep the main battery charged. That has been my solution to long flights even though I have a swappable battery.
I suggest you wait till more manufacturers come out with 1080p screens, 1080p is the next big selling point. I say patience is virtue.

jkaetz

Reaction score
I suggest you wait till more manufacturers come out with 1080p screens, 1080p is the next big selling point. I say patience is virtue.
True, but if one plays the waiting game, one could be waiting forever. :) I'll be waiting until I can get one second hand for a few hundred less than the MSRP.

geoff5093

Reaction score
So how much are you paying or will be paying for the cloud storage, and do not forget the data charges.
I have 57GB with Dropbox (free), 25GB with SkyDrive, and 5GB with Google Drive. I also have unlimited data on Verizon and have WiFi at home/work.

semitope

Reaction score
Currently, between my internal storage and my card storage, I am using 12gb. That is after moving and deleting pics and backups to my pc. I don't use cloud storage...just not comfortable with having my stuff out there yet... and no need to.

Other huge problem not having removable storage is that, if the phone decides to crash, you can't just pull out your sdcard and your contents are safe. You've lost it all. I've learned to keep anything I want to save on my sdcard till I can move it to pc. Anyone with this phone will want to backup to cloud or pc frequently.

I think HTC needs to add a DNA ultimate...with expandable storage and bigger battery! It would sell like hotcakes!

Same issue with an SD card. Actually I had a 32GB sd die on me recently and that makes me weary of having too much on it. I'd really rather it be on the cloud (as backup I mean) than my own devices unless its something I am not comfortable putting on the cloud. SD cards should not be used to store massive data without backing up. I think for most people the space would be enough, but I would love some extra space to keep movies etc around just in case.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
semitope said:
Same issue with an SD card. Actually I had a 32GB sd die on me recently and that makes me weary of having too much on it. I'd really rather it be on the cloud (as backup I mean) than my own devices unless its something I am not comfortable putting on the cloud. SD cards should not be used to store massive data without backing up. I think for most people the space would be enough, but I would love some extra space to keep movies etc around just in case.

Everything that is on my micro sd card is also on my pc, since everything on my sd card was and is on my pc, then transferred to the sd card. Cloud is not an option for the majority of people do to data constraints.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm eligible to upgrade from my Thunderbolt. This absolutely would be my upgrade, but the small-ish non-replaceable battery (bigger than TB's, but this phone is more of a beast with a bigger screen, so will require more power anyway), and lack of micro-SD storage might be deal-breakers for me. I have way more than 30GB of music to put on my phone (streaming from my home computer is not always an option in bad service areas, and it drains the battery faster than playing directly from the phone).

Curious what actual users are getting battery life-wise. 6-8 hours does not cut it for me (I am a heavy user during the day, moderate at night). Ideally I would like my phone to last from wake-up to bed-time on 1 charge (have yet to have a smartphone that can do that). I can't risk not being able to just pop in a spare battery when I'm out and about without access to a charger.

Also curious what options people are taking to combat the lack of internal storage. The "cloud" is just something that would be hard for me to adjust to, and it uses data (which if I upgrade with the discount, I would lose my unlimited plan).

Why couldn't HTC just add the rumored 2500 mAh battery and a micro-SD slot? That's what people want, and this phone would have sold through the roof! So dumb...who's in charge over there? Definitely would have sacrificed a little thickness for those crucial features.

Therefore, my options are to struggle with the storage/battery of this device, bite the bullet and get the SG Note 2 and have to deal with something that might not be usable one-handed and uncomfortable in my front pocket (really considering this phone, just scared by the huge size), or wait until spring for the next wave (i.e., GS4, etc.). What to do? I can make it until Christmas with my TB, but its starting to be a pain and I'm getting antsy with all these awesome new phones coming out. Might be time to jump ship from HTC to Sammy. HTC has the looks and build quality, but Sammy is innovating and has bigger batteries and more features!

kparks

Reaction score
guitarchris123 said:
I'm eligible to upgrade from my Thunderbolt. This absolutely would be my upgrade, but the small-ish non-replaceable battery (bigger than TB's, but this phone is more of a beast with a bigger screen, so will require more power anyway), and lack of micro-SD storage might be deal-breakers for me. I have way more than 30GB of music to put on my phone (streaming from my home computer is not always an option in bad service areas, and it drains the battery faster than playing directly from the phone).

Curious what actual users are getting battery life-wise. 6-8 hours does not cut it for me (I am a heavy user during the day, moderate at night). Ideally I would like my phone to last from wake-up to bed-time on 1 charge (have yet to have a smartphone that can do that). I can't risk not being able to just pop in a spare battery when I'm out and about without access to a charger.

Also curious what options people are taking to combat the lack of internal storage. The "cloud" is just something that would be hard for me to adjust to, and it uses data (which if I upgrade with the discount, I would lose my unlimited plan).

Why couldn't HTC just add the rumored 2500 mAh battery and a micro-SD slot? That's what people want, and this phone would have sold through the roof! So dumb...who's in charge over there? Definitely would have sacrificed a little thickness for those crucial features.

Therefore, my options are to struggle with the storage/battery of this device, bite the bullet and get the SG Note 2 and have to deal with something that might not be usable one-handed and uncomfortable in my front pocket (really considering this phone, just scared by the huge size), or wait until spring for the next wave (i.e., GS4, etc.). What to do? I can make it until Christmas with my TB, but its starting to be a pain and I'm getting antsy with all these awesome new phones coming out. Might be time to jump ship from HTC to Sammy. HTC has the looks and build quality, but Sammy is innovating and has bigger batteries and more features!

If u got the stock battery in the Tbolt... The dna is a upgrade in battery life..

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
kparks said:
If u got the stock battery in the Tbolt... The dna is a upgrade in battery life..

The person does not want to be stuck with a small battery and no micro sd card phone for 2 years, did you read his post and what he uses his phone for. HTC again has a marketing blunder in their hands, but what's new with HTC lately. I say if you want 1080p with removable battery and micro sd card, wait a few more moths for the S4, it looks to be a beast. As an S3 owner I say Samsung is listening to its customers, I would never buy a phone without a micro sd card slot, heck I have already 35gigs of high resolution movies and high resolution music on my 64 gig card "something the cloud cam not offer me", and that I can access anywhere and anytime without data.

Last edited:

2001400ex

Reaction score

For these reasons I went with the maxx hd. The pentile screen isn't as bad as I thought and I am sure it is as fast for my duties as the DNA. I am not tethered to a charger so I am happy. Tho it seems to use more battery for music and internet than my thunderbolt did. Other than that, really dig this phone, tho I wanted the DNA.

nfiore

Reaction score
I have the same concerns as everyone else regarding the memory. Static memory has been something that has always kept me away from the iPhone. That being said I just got back from the Verizon store and out of curiosity I checked the memory allocations. One thing I found interesting was the fact that when I went into the memory screen, down at the bottom, there was a grayed out area that listed a MicroSD card external. This may be tied to the Japan version but it was curious. I wonder is some brave sole could figure out how to take the back off to see what was inside.