OnePlus One is Officially Unveiled: Specs, Pricing & Dates!

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
oneplus-one-official-full-reveal-image.jpg

True to their word, the folks at OnePlus have unveiled their first creation, the OnePlus One smartphone. It's an impressive feat of affordable engineering. We have the full skinny of specs, pricing and availability for you right here after you are done gazing at the images.

First let's take a gander at the specs:
  • 5.5-inch JDI display with 1080p HD resolution
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 quad-core 2.5GHz chipset
  • 3GB of LP-DDR3 RAM clocked at 1866MHz
  • Between 16GB and 64GB of internal storage
  • 13 megapixel Sony Exmor IMX 214 f/2.0 aperture sensor with 4K video recording and dual LED flash, 5 megapixel front sensor
  • 3,100mAh lithium polymer battery
  • dual-band WiFi AC, Bluetooth 4.1, GPS w/ GLONASS, NFC
  • microUSB 2.0, multi-colored LED notification light and a 3.5mm headphone jack
  • Android 4.4 KitKat with CyanogenMod 11S
  • 152.9 x 75.9 x 8.9 mm, 162 g

oneplus-one-official-image-1.jpg

Next, let's show off the pricing and availability dates. Here's the scoop on that,

$299/€269 for 16GB Silk White version
$349/€299 for 64GB Sandstone Black version
  • Available in the following countries:
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hong Kong
  • Italy
  • Netherlands
  • Portugal
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Taiwan
  • United Kingdom
  • United States
The details for getting your hands on the phone are a bit complicated. Since the company will only have a limited amount of them to sell, they are offering them on an invite only system. They are also offering a promo that can get you a One for just $1, if you are willing to smash your current smartphone. Here's a quote with some of the details,

The first 100 OnePlus Ones will be available starting April 25 through the company’s Smash promotion: users can apply to smash their existing phones in exchange for a One handset, which will cost just $1. Additionally, they’ll also receive OnePlus One purchase invitations for their friends. Interested buyers who will receive invites to buy the handset will be able to purchase it in mid to late May. Initially, the phone will come in two options, including Silk White and Sandstone Black, with additional StyleSwap covers to be launched later this year. Pricing details for the StyleSwap covers aren’t available at this time. ~BGR

There are some positives and negatives to consider here. Let's jump into the positive stuff first... look at that insanely good pricing! With these specs, that OFF CONTRACT price of $300 for the White and $350 for the black is just phenomenal. Also, it's a very good looking device with a powerful processor and a juicy 3GB of RAM. There's a lot to like about this phone and it could be a sleeper hit if it can catch the attention of the average consumer.

The only gripes some people have voiced is that the phone has a 13MP camera instead of the rumored 16MP, and that the phone is very large. The camera complaint is a minor and nearly irrelevant quibble considering the quality of the camera. This is a high-end Sony sensor with some impressive specs, so the fact that it takes slightly smaller pics probably won't make much of a difference compared to the quality of pics it will take. The second gripe is subjective, but fairly understandable for many of us. The dimensions of this phone make it bigger than Sony Xperia Z1 and the Samsung Galaxy Note 3. That is definitely phablet level huge, and we can see why some might be unhappy about it. (There has even been a stink online about a picture of the OnePlus One hiding beneath a Sony Z1.)

Regardless, one could argue that this complaints are relatively minor, and the phone has a chance to be a big hit. It's amazing the company was able to offer the device at an even cheaper price than they originally hinted ($399). Of course, it's frustrating that they are selling the device with this strange invite system, but it's possible it could work out just fine.

Here's a link to the company's "Smash" promotion to get the ball rolling: SMASH THE PAST

b-jammin21

Reaction score
Too big. Too big. Too big.

STOP WITH THE GIGANTIC, MAMMOTH PHONES ALREADY!

What ever happened to a phone being the size of a phone? I don't care if it has the best specs on the planet - if I need a crane with a giant claw to pick it up to my ear, or it doesn't fit in a normal pocket (remember Jynco jeans? Well they might make a comeback so that we can all fit our phones in our pockets) , I'm out...

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
annnnnnnnnnd... won't work on Verizon. **SHOCKING**

Also agree TOO BIG TOO BIG TOO BIG!

Next?

Insane that they offer 64 GB for ONLY $50 more. Paying Attention Apple\Google\LG\.... EVERY-EFFING-ONE ELSE?????

Last edited:

djsiva

Reaction score
Although I'm in a small phone now (dev edition Moto X), I don't have a problem with the size. I had both the Note 2 and Note 3 and while they took some getting used to at first, you learn to love it. I also never really had an issue with it going in my pocket. I do wish this was coming to Big Red so I could give it a shot. I've kind of been watching this and the new Oppo Find 7a. Almost makes me want to get a line on one of the enemies just to try out these devices. :)

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I'd buy that for a $1.

mslaceyrose

Reaction score
We've been talking about this phone on S3 Forums, and a couple of our guys are strongly considering getting one to try out.

Yeah, for me, that would be just too big, for my personal taste. I could see it being great for someone who wanted to consolidate devices, instead of having a phone and a tablet, but not for me. I think the S5's screen would/will be great, if I decide on that one, but that's about as big as I'd ever want to go for a device that I was going to be using primarily as a phone. But there are lots of great specs on this phone for a great price, and camera quality is a biggie for me. This won't be my next phone, but it'll be fun watching how things develop over time with the OnePlus One.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Even though such a mammothstrocity like this phone isn't for me, ANY phone with those specs and price can only benefit consumers - raise the bar and lower the price. I say bravo!

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Scanned the specs but didn't see the radio -- what network(s) are we talking about? I'm assuming this is more likely an AT&T/TMo phone than a Verizon/Sprint phone.

-Matt

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Too big but kudos on finally pushing into the void. Good looking device with great specs.

The landscape is changing.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
Scanned the specs but didn't see the radio -- what network(s) are we talking about? I'm assuming this is more likely an AT&T/TMo phone than a Verizon/Sprint phone.

-Matt

Well you have to realize that the manufacturer is looking at international distribution and the GSM phones are used in 80% of the world's phone networks. CDMA phones could be considered to be more of a "niche item" and the Chinese manufacturer may not want to go there.

I'm not a technician or any kind of an authority on these things, so feel free to take my observations with a grain of salt.

Sent from my Note 3, using Forum Runner.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I'm sure I have something around that's smashable!!!

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Well you have to realize that the manufacturer is looking at international distribution and the GSM phones are used in 80% of the world's phone networks. CDMA phones could be considered to be more of a "niche item" and the Chinese manufacturer may not want to go there.

I'm not a technician or any kind of an authority on these things, so feel free to take my observations with a grain of salt.

Sent from my Note 3, using Forum Runner.

No salt needed -- I'm sure you're right!

-Matt