OK - I have more questions before I buy my Droid.

roseladypdx

Reaction score
Thanks again to all who gave me encouragement and advice in my first post. I have a couple more questions before I buy my Droid.

1) I know what an app is in Droidspeak. What's a widget?
2) I use comcast for my email. Do I need to use/switch to Gmail and what is Gmail anyway?
3) What are some good apps for newbies?
4) With my ipod, I can rip CDs to my computer and then download them to my ipod. Can I do something similar with the Droid. (I listen to stuff you probably can't download.)
5) I know an iphone user who has an app that keeps track of her knitting needles. This is serious stuff for a knitter. Is there a Droid app for that?
6) Say I have an address in my contacts list. Is it easy to tell Google maps to get that address, or alternatively, tell contacts to send that address to Google maps.

I figure that's enough to get started.

etortiz99

Reaction score
Thanks again to all who gave me encouragement and advice in my first post. I have a couple more questions before I buy my Droid.

2) I use comcast for my email. Do I need to use/switch to Gmail and what is Gmail anyway?
4) With my ipod, I can rip CDs to my computer and then download them to my ipod. Can I do something similar with the Droid. (I listen to stuff you probably can't download.)
5) I know an iphone user who has an app that keeps track of her knitting needles. This is serious stuff for a knitter. Is there a Droid app for that?
6) Say I have an address in my contacts list. Is it easy to tell Google maps to get that address, or alternatively, tell contacts to send that address to Google maps.

1. A widget is basically a running display of an app. For instance, the Facebook widget shows you status updates without going into the actual app, it's on your home screen.
2. Gmail is a mail service by Google. According to VZW you have to have an account. I never liked Gmail until I was forced to make the switch, but its cool.
3. Apps- depends on what your looking for. They're are a ton of free games. I use eBuddy for my messenger, it combines facebook, msn, yahoo etc and puts it all in one app. If you like sports, Sportstap is a pretty cool app. It all depends on what you want.
4. Music. I don't know for sure on this since i haven't messed with music on it, but if it works like pictures do, all you have to do is drag the music files you want into the droid's folder on the computer.
5. According to a simple search of the market, Knitting Stash is an app that will do that. I don't knit, have no plans to so I have no idea if this will actually work....
6. Google maps is pretty simple to use after you've messed with it a little bit.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

1) Answered above. Widgets usually take up a little more space on the screen but have more functionality than a shortcut does.

2) K-9 (free in the Market) makes any email easy to setup

3) Apps depend on your personal preferences but here's a good thread with lots of recommendations Forget the top 5, list ALL of your apps

4) An app called DoubleTwist will do this for you

5) Never heard of one (until this post) but I don't knit either - no time, I'm always on HERE! :rofl3:

6) Car home is a native app (comes wiith the phone) that has incredible GPS and turn by turn audio directions.

Have you got that Droid yet?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score

Think of it as a shortcut to an app
You need an Google account but you do not need to use it for email if you prefer a different email service no problem. The Droid will support multiple accounts

Yes you can load all of your music. I had an iPhone and move over 98% of my music to my Droid

Not sure there are lots of useful apps
Yes, The voice search is amazing and very accurate

Hope that helps.
Mike