Official Launch of the Samsung Galaxy S IV Reveals Impressive Specs

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-galaxy-s-4-press.jpg

Despite the painfully lame jokes, the launch of the Samsung Galaxy S IV went off with a bang, and it really is an amazing device and blows away nearly all expectations. Samsung made it clear they want to focus their technology upon enriching our lives, and there are many ways this new phone will do just that. While it looks very similar to the previous gen Galaxy S III, it takes things to a whole new level with its technological innovations. It is confirmed that the US version will be getting a different processor than the Exynos 5 Octa-core Chip. The main promise of the new device is the amazing things it can do, so perhaps it really doesn't matter which chip it has. Of course, we will have to see once it hits the shelves...

Without further adieu, here's the full spec-list of the new flagship superphone from Samsung,

The Galaxy S4 Hardware:
  • 4G LTE
  • 7.9mm Thick
  • 441PPI Full HD 1080P Super AMOLED
  • Black Mist & White Frost
  • Blended and Enhanced UI
  • WiFi
  • IR Remote Control functions
  • 13MP Back Camera
  • 2MP Front Camera
  • 2GB DDR3 RAM
  • 16GB Storage (Optional 32GB and 64GB)
  • MicroSDXC Card slot
  • Plenty of Sensors
  • 2600 mAh battery
  • Exynos 5 Octa 1.6GHz eight-core processor in the international version and a quad-core 1.9 GHz Snapdragon chipset in the U.S. version
  • Android 4.2 Jelly Bean
Galaxy S4 Software enhancements:
  • Smart Pause - Eye Pause
  • Smart Scroll - Tilt based scrolling
  • Dual Camera Record functions - can include both front and back cameras in videos (and can switch back and forth) - works with photos too
  • Sound & Shot - Picture with a recorded voice
  • Drama Shot - Can take more than 100 shots in burst mode and compile them down to one
  • Eraser - Creates composites erasing people in the background
  • Air View - hover your finger to control
  • S Translator - Seamless language translation - back in forth both audio and typing with speech to text and text to speech (understands 9 languages)
  • Optical Reader Translator App
  • Adapt Display - Screen adjusts brightness, color and contrast
  • *Home Sync Device - Third party home shared cloud storage - connects multiple devices
  • S Voice Drive - customized version of S Voice interface - Pairs with your cars Bluetooth - amazing voice commands
  • Transfer info from other phones using Smart Switch on the PC
  • Navigation System
  • Glove Friendly
  • Samsung Knox - Business and Enterprise Security Locking (separates your phone into a personal space and a work space on the same device)
  • Chat On Feature - Use the dual camera feature while talking on the phone (live chatting)

Here's the full press release: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...laxy-s-iv-full-press-release.html#post2397475

jpiarull

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force Droid
Twitter
jpiarull
I was truly blown away from some of those features and sheer raw power this beast is sure to have. Battery life should be very good, anyone who honestly can find a device that can do more tell me straight up, beat this one Apple.:p

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
I think it stinks that the US gets hosed with the Non Exynos 5 Octa CPU. I would like to see them Benchmarked Side by Side though.

jpiarull

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force Droid
Twitter
jpiarull
I think it stinks that the US gets hosed with the Non Exynos 5 Octa CPU. I would like to see them Benchmarked Side by Side though.

At 2 gigs of RAM and that large of screen at 1.7-1.8 gHZ you're not going to require that much power beyond that. Be ridiculous waste of energy and so inefficient. Battery would drain within a few measly hours at best. With 8 cores there would be little need for that much power I personally can't think of many apps requiring beyond dual core for smooth operation.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

J

JohnDroid

At 2 gigs of RAM and that large of screen at 1.7-1.8 gHZ you're not going to require that much power beyond that. Be ridiculous waste of energy and so inefficient. Battery would drain within a few measly hours at best. With 8 cores there would be little need for that much power I personally can't think of many apps requiring beyond dual core for smooth operation.

The ARM Big.little should be a boon for battery life. I'm digging that.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I was truly blown away from some of those features and sheer raw power this beast is sure to have. Battery life should be very good, anyone who honestly can find a device that can do more tell me straight up, beat this one Apple.:p

If I had a choice I'd put a more efficient processor in it rather than that Octahog, these core wars have had their day and now it's not paying off to have the latest cutting edge anymore. Efficiency is where it's at, but the marketing to people like you is more important.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score

The Octa-Core phone only uses four cores at a time, Google is your friend. On another note did anyone notice it will use DDR3, which is much faster than DDR2.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
The Octa-Core phone only uses four cores at a time, Google is your friend. On another note did anyone notice it will use DDR3, which is much faster than DDR2.

We all know how the chip is designed, but how it performs is another matter. It doesn't play nice with LTE and wasn't used in the US I'd presume for a good reason. Maybe you could Google it?

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Pretty cool how they were able to get a bigger screen in a little smaller package.

S3 - 136.6 x 70.6 x 8.6
S4 - 136.6 x 69.8 x 7.9

I am withholding judgement until I see how the radios are. If it was like every other Sammy phone I have had I will continue to stick to Moto. If they are better I may give it a chance.

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
this was said about the iphone 5... and i'll say this about the sgs3s... i mean the sgs4... i don't discriminate...

in a year... all the designers did was increase the screen .2 inches... what did the designers for the rest of the time?

bluefire7002

Reaction score
My Galaxy Nexus is hanging on by a thread with a cracked screen, messed up speaker when talking on the phone. It's going to be tough between this or the HTC one. This would win hands down had it not had that physical button... Definitely gonna miss that about my GN.

Pretty much:

the HTC One looks + SGS4 Power = :hail:

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
We all know how the chip is designed, but how it performs is another matter. It doesn't play nice with LTE and wasn't used in the US I'd presume for a good reason. Maybe you could Google it?

I never said anything about LTE, I just stated the function of the new octa - core chip, read my post real slow, I was replying to your post in regards to what you posted, and we all know that the exynox chip had been having a hard time with the US LTE bands, reason for them using the qualcomm chip like they did with the S3.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Droid Forums

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I am withholding judgement until I see how the radios are. If it was like every other Sammy phone I have had I will continue to stick to Moto. If they are better I may give it a chance.

Not every other Sammy, the Note 2 has been great on signal and I really haven't read anything about problems.