[Rumor] The Samsung Galaxy S IV Will Likely Have a 13MP Camera

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
sgs4-camera-stuff.jpeg

Right now the Samsung Galaxy S III has one of the best 8MP camera's of any smartphone, and has even bested the iPhone 4S camera in several reviews/articles, but that apparently isn't good enough for Samsung's next flagship. Supposedly, according to the latest rumors, the Samsung Galaxy S IV coming sometime next year will actually come with a 13MP camera. Here's a quote with some of the details,

The 13-megapixel sensor is said to have been originally intended for the third-gen Galaxy S and the second Galaxy Note, but never made it to those devices (both feature 8-megapixel shooters). If such a camera arrive in the S IV, it'd capture images with 4208 x 3120 pixel resolution.

Current rumors peg the next Samsung Galaxy S phone for a launch at Mobile World Congress in 2013, but we don't actually buy those rumors and suspect that Samsung will launch the phone with their own launch party later on in the year. Regardless, it will be interesting, although unsurprising, to see if this "new-better" camera does show up in the SGS4.

Source: S3Forums via PhonaArena

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I like the camera on my phone but 8MP is about the limit I use for it. Anything I need higher than 8MP or where I want a good picture I use my DSLR for. All in all, its still just a camera phone.

WestOkid

Reaction score
Jus make the sensor better, make the low light performance better, make the overall camera better. Why are they going for the wow factor instead of quality. Megapixels have nothing to do with quality, they are a selling point and nothing more. Unless people intend to enlarge their phone's pictures for highway billboards or crop out ants on grass blades, increasing the 13 megapixels is pointless. There are DSLRs with less megapixels.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Wasnt the razr (maxx) hd suppose to have a 12mp camera, which the international version did, but then it came to the states and well there went your 12mp camera.

BJPalmer85

Reaction score
I wish there was some sort of speculated time frame for this this thing. i get renewed in march and Id hate to pick up the SGS3 only to have the SGS4 drop a couple months later

B

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wish there was some sort of speculated time frame for this this thing. i get renewed in march and Id hate to pick up the SGS3 only to have the SGS4 drop a couple months later

B

Of course, one benefit is that you will likely be able to get the SGS3 for super cheap or free at that time. ;)

BJPalmer85

Reaction score
Of course, one benefit is that you will likely be able to get the SGS3 for super cheap or free at that time. ;)

That is true, but I generally like to get the best thing available at the time. though a free SGS3 would be hard to pass up. Still highly considering a Note 2

thesandman00

Reaction score
Jus make the sensor better, make the low light performance better, make the overall camera better. Why are they going for the wow factor instead of quality. Megapixels have nothing to do with quality, they are a selling point and nothing more. Unless people intend to enlarge their phone's pictures for highway billboards or crop out ants on grass blades, increasing the 13 megapixels is pointless. There are DSLRs with less megapixels.

Increasing the MP count and improving shooting performance are not mutually exclusive goals.

WestOkid

Reaction score
Increasing the MP count and improving shooting performance are not mutually exclusive goals.

I can't argue that point, but companies rarely do both. Take Android itself. Choppiness has plagued it since day one. Yet tons of hardware advancements, still saw 800mhz single core iPhone run smoother than dual core Androids. Then comes Google's "project butter" and it does what we all wanted; make android smooth. Now android cameras are the same thing. This is admittedly personal. When I am with the family and want capture a moment. I have to choose between using my wife's iPhone and getting a good picture or rolling the dice with my moto. Same mega pixels, very different results. That annoys the crap out of me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2