notification light?

Nyguy7

Reaction score
Does the moto x actually have a notification light on the front of it? Thanks..

alhadee12

Reaction score
No it's "Always On ”system is the notification light. You get a peak of your unopened messages, misdeed calls, etc.

OP
N

Nyguy7

Reaction score
No it's "Always On ”system is the notification light. You get a peak of your unopened messages, misdeed calls, etc.

I knew about the peak view thing, but in order for that to initiate, don't you need to pick up your phone? You mean if your phone is just laying on the table, there is no way to see if you have a missed call or text message, without touching the phone? That is a huge flaw IMO, and for that reason alone I'd never consider getting one.. I always can see if i have a missed call, text, or email, just by the color of the blinking led light on my current phone, from across the room..

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I knew about the peak view thing, but in order for that to initiate, don't you need to pick up your phone? You mean if your phone is just laying on the table, there is no way to see if you have a missed call or text message, without touching the phone? That is a huge flaw IMO, and for that reason alone I'd never consider getting one.. I always can see if i have a missed call, text, or email, just by the color of the blinking led light on my current phone, from across the room..

No. The active display senses when you pick up your phone regardless of whether or not you have any new/unread notifications. If you do have notifications, then the screen will flash whichever application icon the notification is for about the same frequency as an led notification light would (i.e. a Gmail notification would show the Gmail app icon) regardless of whether the phone is in your hand or not. Much better than a notification light in my opinion.

TatDroid

Reaction score
if your phone is just laying on the table, there is no way to see if you have a missed call or text message, without touching the phone?
If you touch it, active notifications lights right away. If you don't touch it, it slowly pulses on and off (some call it "breathing").

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552

I was the same way. I liked having that blinking LED light to tell me. However, TatDroid said, with the pulsing, I actually don't miss it at all. Now granted, I don't live and die by my phone so I can actually <gasp> let calls go to voice mail & it doesn't bother me or I can go a few hours without replying to text messages.

For me, the fact I don't have a blinking LED at 2AM any longer is a huge plus.

alhadee12

Reaction score
You will get a chance to see your notifications when it pulsates while sitting on a table or something, but it also does it when you pick up the phone. To me the feature is neuter then the LED light.

OP
N

Nyguy7

Reaction score
Oh that sounds pretty good. As long as it is capable of pulsating the notification message, on pace with the way an led light would, because for me, I actually do live and die with texts, and phone calls.. I'm assuming that is why there are some people that say that battery stand by time on these phones are not that good, compared to the long usage times it is capable of?

Snoking

Reaction score
Oh that sounds pretty good. As long as it is capable of pulsating the notification message, on pace with the way an led light would, because for me, I actually do live and die with texts, and phone calls.. I'm assuming that is why there are some people that say that battery stand by time on these phones are not that good, compared to the long usage times it is capable of?
Ul
It is not going to sit there flashing to active screen at you. Keep it close buy. You can get a notification tone to know a message arrived or pick the phone up and see it on the screen. Or leave it face up and wave your hand near it and it will light up.

On edit: They say that the active display "breaths". that is it comes on and goes off while a notification is waiting and the interval is adjustable. However, I do not see where to adjust it!

It is nothing like anything before, but quite good once you have it. If you do not the think you like this feature, then get something else.

This phone it not just like your last one and breaks out a lot of new territory. Few that have gotten one do not like them.

The AC forum has more info about them. Read and go hold one. Play with it in a store. If you drive a lot it also does some really neat things like reading text messages to you and will reply for you that you are driving. Has built in sleep and meeting modes that you can activate.

Moving a lot of the OS update pieces to the play store is another great feature, as updates to a lot of functions can occur without the carrier rolling a complete release.

If you are with a carrier that has a14 day return policy give it a test drive.

BTW. My wife does not use hers much and the other day it was at 73 percent after 49 hours. So standby time is not normally a problem. Chris

OP
N

Nyguy7

Reaction score
I already went to the verizon store and held one in my hand, and used whatever features I could on it while in the store, it feels great in the hand, (sizewise), but for some reason it seems as if the screen is more smaller than the 4.7" that it is advertised as, especially compared to my s4. Maybe thats because the home screen buttons take up a bit of the viewing screen, so i guess that would realistically make it more of a 4.3" or 4.5".. The only thing that was stopping me from picking one up so far was the poor camera, and the non removable battery.. But i hear the camera is pretty decent now after the last update. I would be just purchasing this phone off of contract, unfortunately...
Ul
It is not going to sit there flashing to active screen at you. Keep it close buy. You can get a notification tone to know a message arrived or pick the phone up and see it on the screen. Or leave it face up and wave your hand near it and it will light up.

On edit: They say that the active display "breaths". that is it comes on and goes off while a notification is waiting and the interval is adjustable. However, I do not see where to adjust it!

It is nothing like anything before, but quite good once you have it. If you do not the think you like this feature, then get something else.

This phone it not just like your last one and breaks out a lot of new territory. Few that have gotten one do not like them.

The AC forum has more info about them. Read and go hold one. Play with it in a store. If you drive a lot it also does some really neat things like reading text messages to you and will reply for you that you are driving. Has built in sleep and meeting modes that you can activate.

Moving a lot of the OS update pieces to the play store is another great feature, as updates to a lot of functions can occur without the carrier rolling a complete release.

If you are with a carrier that has a14 day return policy give it a test drive.

BTW. My wife does not use hers much and the other day it was at 73 percent after 49 hours. So standby time is not normally a problem. Chris

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
I already went to the verizon store and held one in my hand, and used whatever features I could on it while in the store, it feels great in the hand, (sizewise), but for some reason it seems as if the screen is more smaller than the 4.7" that it is advertised as, especially compared to my s4. Maybe thats because the home screen buttons take up a bit of the viewing screen, so i guess that would realistically make it more of a 4.3" or 4.5".. The only thing that was stopping me from picking one up so far was the poor camera, and the non removable battery.. But i hear the camera is pretty decent now after the last update. I would be just purchasing this phone off of contract, unfortunately...

The screen size is a concern. I came from a GNex so it is the same size for me, but others on huge screens may feel more cramped.

The feel of the phone is by far one of the best Android phones I've held to date, but the off contract price can be a bit unsettling too. If you can swing the cost, you will probably see the phone grow on you. I was concerned about a few things before it came, but I can say it's exceeded every expectation I've had so far. It may have taken a few days, but it feels great now.
Worst case, many of the providers have some sort of return policy if you don't feel it is your cup of tea.

Sent by fish1552 from his MOTO X.

OP
N

Nyguy7

Reaction score
The size downgrade is a bit of a concern but Id be ok with that, since I know that a size decrease would mean a phone thats more pocketable and more easy to control with 1 hand.. Thanks for all the input everyone!!