Noob Question

SwagTech

Reaction score
Can I go into file explore and delete old ROM downloads? And if so, does that free up memory? I know I'm never going back to ICS Roms and kernels. I will of course keep my Stock root ROM. Just home bored, and want to mess with my phone lol... thanks

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yes you can.

I would suggest you keep your backups on a PC or something just in case. I keep my backups on my PC and a usb drive I have specifically for my phone. That's right, a backup for my backup. :D You can never be too safe and there were many times I am glad I kept a backup on my PC.

OP
SwagTech

SwagTech

Reaction score
Exactly how do I do that? After connecting via USB, I just copy the download folder of my SD card? Or just copy each individual ROM download and save as , in a new folder? Thanks

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Exactly how do I do that? After connecting via USB, I just copy the download folder of my SD card? Or just copy each individual ROM download and save as , in a new folder? Thanks

Yes. But I'd suggest using ADB pull to backup your SD card. It will be infinitely quicker than using MTP file transfer. cd to your folder with ADB via terminal and then:

adb pull /sdcard/ /place you want/to transfer/to

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
SwagTech

SwagTech

Reaction score
Really appreciate your time and help...

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
both methods work, but adb is definitely faster. I just transfer via usb cause I'm too lazy to type in commands even though it's only one string LOL!

But yeah, keep those backups safe just in case. I've needed my backups more times than I can count on both my hands (i'm a flash-o-holic) and I regret not saving some certain backups. It'll make the process of getting your phone back to the way you like it much easier later on.

OP
SwagTech

SwagTech

Reaction score
Cool.. yea I used the USB cable as well, after reading about ADB and seeing its only one command line , I still didn't want to do it lol. My programming classes has really done a number on me! However, I don't want to be a NOOB forever, so I'm going to download the ADB app and get familiar with it just in case.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
All I can recommend is to just try it once, if you're comfortable with it of course. I have used adb a handful of times, but have definitely taken the easier methods more often because of time saved and less work on my part. Even though I "cheat" a little, I at least know how to get myself out of a bind with adb.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Cool.. yea I used the USB cable as well, after reading about ADB and seeing its only one command line , I still didn't want to do it lol. My programming classes has really done a number on me! However, I don't want to be a NOOB forever, so I'm going to download the ADB app and get familiar with it just in case.

You probably already have adb installed depending on how you rooted, as adb is part of the sdk, which is also where fastboot is.

There are GUI adb, as I am right there with you on the laziness. [TOOL] Android Commander 0.7.9.10 - xda-developers and QtADB are examples of those. Definitely not a bad idea to get comfortable, with the command line version though, as it is still much more powerful.

Wifi can be quicker than MTP too if your network can handle it.