Noise but no notification or visible action

Michie

Reaction score
My Samsung Galaxy S3 is making a noise every so often, but when I look at it there is no notification, nothing has changed. I have very few push notifications, and I have checked all my apps. I can not figure out what this noise is for and it is driving me nuts! It is definitely not a sound I set for any notifications, so it must be system generated, but as I mentioned - I look at the phone immediately and nothing is happening that I can see. Has this happened to anyone else? Any insight?

Thank you!
Michelle

mslaceyrose

Reaction score
Hi Michelle. I haven't had it myself, but apparently a lot of people have had the issue of hearing notification sounds, with nothing showing in the notification area of the device.

I found a couple of threads where people identified what was causing the issue for them. Maybe one of them will be your culprit.

Yahoo mail seemed to be the culprit for a lot of people, as well as near field communication, and a few other apps and services.

Message alert tone..... but no messages?

Galaxy S3: Mystery, Reoccuring Notification Sound - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

My Samsung Galaxy S3 is making a noise every so often, but when I look at it there is no notification, nothing has changed. I have very few push notifications, and I have checked all my apps. I can not figure out what this noise is for and it is driving me nuts! It is definitely not a sound I set for any notifications, so it must be system generated, but as I mentioned - I look at the phone immediately and nothing is happening that I can see. Has this happened to anyone else? Any insight?

Thank you!
Michelle

OP
M

Michie

Reaction score
Thank you! I will check those threads - I looked through the first couple of pages and didn't see anything relevant. Appreciate you pointing these out to me.

Hi Michelle. I haven't had it myself, but apparently a lot of people have had the issue of hearing notification sounds, with nothing showing in the notification area of the device.

I found a couple of threads where people identified what was causing the issue for them. Maybe one of them will be your culprit.

Yahoo mail seemed to be the culprit for a lot of people, as well as near field communication, and a few other apps and services.

Message alert tone..... but no messages?

Galaxy S3: Mystery, Reoccuring Notification Sound - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

rudywilliams

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto G 4 Plus
I have an app that makes a noise (Real Time GPS Tracker) when a friend is active. There is no visible notification and since it wasn't useful, I disabled it. You may have an APP that does that.

If this started recently, you may want to check the settings on newer apps you have installed.

Update: I just found an app that may help identify what is happening: Notification History. To use it some features are turned off, but you can reverse that when you determine the cause of the notifications.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
You may just want to pull the battery for a full 10 minutes and see if it goes away. Let us know....