No "USB Computer connection" under settings/storage.

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by chiroy, Jun 24, 2016.

1. chiroy

chiroy New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy J7
    Hi all,

New to the site and hoping to find a solution to a problem I'm having.
    First off, I'm not tech savvy at all, so I might be missing something very basic here.

I'm trying to connect my galaxy J7 to my PC to transfer mp3 files. My PC is not picking up my phone at all. I've tried switching cables. Suffice to say, it didn't work.

I searched the internet for a solution and many sites recommend enabling "Media device (MTP)" under settings/storage.
    However when I go to settings/storage, there is no "USB Computer connection" display at all. No 3 dots in the top corner either. It merely displays "total space", "available space" etc... Nothing to indicate any external connections.

This could potentially just be a pit stop in a series of steps needed to solve my bigger problem (i.e. transferring music files from my pc to my phone) but as far as I understand, perhaps an important one to eliminate before proceeding to other potential problem areas.

I should mention that I recently removed a bunch of apps on my phone that I felt was using unnecessary memory space. I'm thinking its probably not inconceivable to consider that I might have deleted an important app or 2 that were enabling me to connect my phone to my PC??

Any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks

#1 chiroy, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  2. cr601

cr601 New Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Welcome to the forum!
    Did you make sure to download the Samsung driver to your PC? If you're running Windows 7 or 10 it should download automatically or at least advise you when you connect your device.

And yes, depending on what you've deleted, that could be a problem as well. But without knowing what you've gotten rid of it's hard to say.

S5 tap'n

• Like Like x 1
  3. chiroy

chiroy New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy J7
    My windows 7 does not pick up anything from my phone. The phone charges, but the computer is completely unresponsive.

4. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,707
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    Go to sammobile.com and enter in your model number to find the driver specific to your device. Download it to your PC, reboot your PC then try connecting.
    Let us know if this resolves your problem.

S5 tap'n

• Like Like x 2
  5. makaiguy

makaiguy New Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Current Phone Model:
    Sammy Galaxy S7 on Verizon
    When connected to your computer and charging, do you get a "Charging" notification in your pull-down notification panel? Try clicking on that to see if it gives you the USB options.