No Email Notifications

rastaman

Reaction score
I can't seem to get email notifications either up on the notification bar and/or the email icon, even though I'm pretty sure I have all the correct settings. I'm referring to the Email account. I have Bellsouth (ATT) and I'm not using the Yahoo app.

GVLBob

Reaction score
This should be a solvable problem, but we here will need some details first.

How did you enable notifications for the stock Email app? It needs to be done on an account basis?

Have you ever set up another email app to provide notifications?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
R

rastaman

Reaction score
I enabled it by opening the stock email app, click settings, click account settings, click my email address with a check by it and put a check in the Email Notifications box - notify in status bar when email arrives. I have a Gmail app that provides notifications and I had the Yahoo app for a few days but I couldn't stand it, it was very laggy and unappealing so I deleted it. I was using the stock before that and it wasn't notifying me then either. The Yahoo app did notify me though.

GVLBob

Reaction score
I enabled it by opening the stock email app, click settings, click account settings, click my email address with a check by it and put a check in the Email Notifications box - notify in status bar when email arrives. I have a Gmail app that provides notifications and I had the Yahoo app for a few days but I couldn't stand it, it was very laggy and unappealing so I deleted it. I was using the stock before that and it wasn't notifying me then either. The Yahoo app did notify me though.

I would try turning off the notifications for the separate Gmail app (just as a test).

OP
R

rastaman

Reaction score
I tried turning off the Gmail notification and that didn't help. Any other ideas??

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe use another email app like Kaiten, K-9 or Maildroid. Both Kaiten and Maildroid have free versions to try and K-9 is free as well. That way you can give them each a shot and see what works best for you. There are other email apps you can try too.

bbtkd

Reaction score
Maybe use another email app like Kaiten, K-9 or Maildroid. Both Kaiten and Maildroid have free versions to try and K-9 is free as well. That way you can give them each a shot and see what works best for you. There are other email apps you can try too.

K9 has worked great for me for the last 4 years...

rastaman_

Reaction score
I did a pull for some other things (and it helped the problems), I'll try it tonight. Today I did get one to show as a notification in the header and the email icon. I did notice that the one email that was being notified was marked as "unread". I'm wondering if another computer or phone is automatically opening it and I don't know it.

GVLBob

Reaction score
I did a pull for some other things (and it helped the problems), I'll try it tonight. Today I did get one to show as a notification in the header and the email icon. I did notice that the one email that was being notified was marked as "unread". I'm wondering if another computer or phone is automatically opening it and I don't know it.

Is the email app on your desktop or laptop computer normally open and pulling down your email?

OP
R

rastaman

Reaction score
Yes. I keep 2 laptops on all the time at home and Outlook is usually on at least one of them. But, Outlook doesn't open them, it just pulls them down.

GVLBob

Reaction score
Yes. I keep 2 laptops on all the time at home and Outlook is usually on at least one of them. But, Outlook doesn't open them, it just pulls them down.

If it pulls the emails off the server, they then aren't there to be seen by the phone and so no notification would be triggered. I think that is correct.

rastaman_

Reaction score
I can't yet figure out how to keep Outlook from pulling them down.... Even if it's closed they come down.

OP
R

rastaman

Reaction score
Even though they are closed the emails still come in on the laptop, the little mail notifications pop up down on the bottom even though Outlook is closed. I hate Outlook and MS. Having 2 laptops, 1 desktop, 2 Ipads, smartphones...... tough to keep up with everything.