GMail and Email notifications

skware

Reaction score
I just upgraded my Droid Razr to a Galaxy S4 and so far I'm extremely happy with the phone.|

The only issue I'm having is email notifications. Gmail works perfectly but the built in "Corporate" email program will not notify me in any way shape or form that I've gotten a new email.

I went into the phone settings > Accounts > Email > Settings > [email protected]: Email notifications is checked, A ringtone is selected, all volumes are at full, and Sync Email is checked.

I've tried adding a peak sync schedule but I still never hear any notifications from that email.

Has anyone else had that issue?

OP
S

skware

Reaction score
I use both, Gmail is my personal email and the built-in email client is used for my work email.

GVLBob

Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is to check Manage applications in the Settings. Make sure that Show notifications is checked in the App info for Email.

OP
S

skware

Reaction score
The "Show Notifications" check box is inaccessable/greyed out.
I think we might be on to something.

OP
S

skware

Reaction score
Sorry about any confusion.
Thanks again for taking a minute to help me :)

GVLBob

Reaction score
I wonder if Android won't allow the Email app to show notifications if Gmail is already doing so.

I would try installing one of the third-party email apps, set it up as your corporate email app, and see if you can set its notification (using a different color than gmail).

Kaiten and AquaMail are two suggestions. I believe that both have free versions that you can use to try out the above.

reybie

Reaction score
Just for the heck of it, I set up one of my emails with the stock app and I couldn't get it to work properly either, that or I didn't really try hard enough LOL. I've been using the K9 app since the OG Droid so I'm biased :)

GVLBob

Reaction score
Another thing to try is to set up two accounts within one of the third-party email apps. You wouldn't get two different notifications for the two accounts, but at least you should be able to get a notification for either type of email.

Edit: actually, I think you CAN get two different color LED notifications, if you choose the right app.

Last edited:
OP
S

skware

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm going to try one of these other email programs.

reybie

Reaction score
Edit: actually, I think you CAN get two different color LED notifications, if you choose the right app.

I can confirm this, my K9 emails LED notification is Magenta (can be customized from within K9) and the GMail notification by default is Blue (not sure if you can change it from the app).

GVLBob

Reaction score
I can confirm this, my K9 emails LED notification is Magenta (can be customized from within K9) and the GMail notification by default is Blue (not sure if you can change it from the app).

I was referring to having two accounts (one corporate and one gmail) within the same app and then setting their notifications to have different colors.

OP
S

skware

Reaction score
Thanks everyone who replied.
I ended up using K9 mail and it seems to be working fine.
I guess that's just the issue with using the built in Email app with something like Gmail also setup.