No data in /system (this is going to be tricky)

obogobo

Reaction score
I'm going to briefly summarize what happened,
  • Upgraded Gingerbread to ICS Leak 213
  • Removed some /system files (VZW Apps)
  • Today tried to upgrade to ICS Leak 215, failed due to missing files
  • Attempted to restore /system files using the provided dump, BOOTLOOP
  • Used Safestrap Recovery to make a Nandroid backup and analyze filesystem...
  • Got frustrated due to hayday mishap and ended up formatting /system /data and /cache
I still have access to Fastboot and Stock Recovery, but at this point I'm at a loss for what to do.
I figure once the 4.0.4 ICS Fastboot files leak I'll be better off, but understand that flashing the Gingebread might not be the best idea.

Please, your thoughts...

GigaJake

Reaction score
They've changed the leak to leak upgrade method for .215, I believe there's a utility that does most everything you need in one place here:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=217114

But basically what you need to do is use this utility and the GB .219 sbf recovery files to fastboot your system back to .219. This is not the same as using RSD Lite and doing a full sbf back to gingerbread, so your device won't be permanently bricked. Performing this will fix your system and allow the update.zip to flash. Even if you hadn't tampered with your system files, leaks always assume you're running .219 gb and would fail unless it passed that check.

Check out that guide on how to upgrade, you don't sound beyond hope here.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
This shouldn't be hard to fix. You only need flash with moto-fastboot the system and preinstall files for GB, then the boot file for whatever leak you want. Then in stock recovery flash the same update file as the boot file. The ICS only tool in my signature will do this easy for you. However it has the boot file for 215 (ICS) already within the files folder. If you have a way to copy the 6.16.215 update file to your sd card then just download and run the tool menu 9, then flash the 215 update from stock recovery. If you don't have a way to copy to your sdcard but still have the 213 update on send me a pm with an email. I can just send you the 213 boot file to replace in the tool.

OP
obogobo

obogobo

Reaction score
:hail: I love this place thanks guys I'll post results later tonight!

OP
obogobo

obogobo

Reaction score
So I was unable to turn the phone off last night, all I could do was hold Power + Volume Down to reboot. It would continually hang at a blank screen after reaching the Motorola logo, so I decided to kept it plugged in via AC overnight. I don't think it was accepting power though because it died this morning, and now when I plug it in I can access the Fastboot menu but that's it. Normal boot (not buttons held) and selecting Recovery both hang on the Motorola logo.

Right now it's stuck at the Dual Core / M splash screen, and I'm not sure if it's charging or just being sustained by wall power. I'd love to pull the battery and swap it out with a charged one but... yeah. So my question would have to be is there any way to supply power during Fastboot? Maybe if I splice a USB cable or something?

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
To my knowledge it will not charge in fastboot mode, if it goes to the red m moto logo it might. When in fastboot mode and plugged into the pc does the screen say low battery or ok to program?

OP
obogobo

obogobo

Reaction score
I believe you're correct on that assumption, at the red M logo the battery is radiating a bit of heat and will power the device for a few minutes depending on how long I leave it plugged in for. I'm going to let it "charge" for a few hours before checking out the Fastboot screen. Hopefully it will say OK to Program

OP
obogobo

obogobo

Reaction score
I think this might be a job for the factory cable, my previous statement about the possible charging seems to have been wishful thinking.

UPDATE: I can confirm today that the use of a factory cable and Option #9 in the ICS Tool helped restored my phone to working order. Thank you to all those who took the time to assist me!