Nice Burn Verizon

Status
Not open for further replies.

xrp861

Reaction score
No joke the iphone4 is already out dated....hell so is the iphone5. Also the reson youre prolly having issues with the os is due to bloatware. The cure for this is rooting and flashing cm6. As for your battery issues i can assure you a new battery is what you need. Being thats the same baterry as the d2 and d2g its still available. I have a d2g and use my phone all day and have no battery issues same with my buddy at work with a d1...he also has never had an issue with his handset.imo the iphone is just a bad choice for reasons of no removable battery...wtf do you do when it freezes? Another is that there is no sd slot...sorry i like to beable to move my files from phone to phone with ease and not syncing to lame ass itunes....idk ive never been a fan of any mac products.

In all honesty you have to go thru 3 refubs to get a new phone or tell assirion you lost it to get a new one. Its the lemon law or something. I read about it before. Also everytime i send back 3 broken handsets in a row i get a new one so its gotta be true. Also the d1 isnt in produstion anymore and a few friends i kno who sent back messed up d1 got the d2 as a replacement.

Anyways good luck with your choice. Im android til its dead and gone myself....but its pretty much taking over and dominating so idk if thatll be happening ever.

modisch

Reaction score
It's true, heavy use of a cell phone battery, constant charging and discharging, will cause it to lose effective capacity. Replacing a battery, especially with a higher capacity one, will go a long way. They aren't even expensive... a new stock battery from Amazon is $5. Get as many as you want (something you *can't* do with an iphone).

Amazon.com: Motorola DROID and DROID II 1300mah Standard Battery: Cell Phones & Accessories

And here is the spring/summer guide for Verizon (includes more than androids):

Verizon Spring/Summer Guide Doesn’t Mention DROIDX2 or Bionic - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

If you want a phone for gaming, try the Sony Xperia Play. It's designed to play PSX games and it has a slide out controller. Not a qwerty keyboard, but if your main use of the physical keyboard is games, this will trump that. Then just use the soft keyboard or swype for typing.

-m

OP
NVash

NVash

Reaction score
I don't get it.....iphone does NOT have a physical keyboard.....doesn't even have a removable SD Card (so no upgrade in size for you bud)....am I the only one that see's that doesn't make sense?
Ive already said before. Im bordering on gone off Droid. Im not impressed by all the 'customizable' stuff anymore. The phone works 85% of the time and other times it gets so bad that if I threw it in the ocean I wouldnt miss it for a week.

anyway....I say root the D1, flash PE GB on there, and enjoy a much faster, more responsive, snappier (I know they mean the same thing but it adds to my list to put them seperate) and over all much more enjoyable phone. Trust me....the way your phone looks and acts right now is a complete 180 from what it will be.....providing you don't have hardware issues.
Im not sure if its hardware issues or not. Once upon a time I watched the phone reset itself over and over for about a half hour until I wiped it. Might be the hardware.

I have a D2 OC'd to 1.25GHz....my sister now has an X.....my buddy has an iphone 4.....all the above envy (myself included) my wife's D1. It drives me nuts how much faster her phone is. I mean yeah it's just a tad slower than my OC'd D2 but we are comparing a phone that is stock 550MHz to phone's that are stock 1GHz or better.
Impressive I say.
She must have gotten a good phone.

Not to mention there are like 165 ROM's for you to chose from for the D1 and countless theme's and more. We have tried almost all the top preferred one's and finally settled on the PE GB ROM.
You do realize that kind of thing turns some people off right? 165 ROMs? I just said I have very little time, Im not about to spend it going through ROMs just because my phone wants to act like a piece of junk and I HAVE TO root it for it to become worth owning.

Just my opinion. If you were close I would say come on over and check out her D1.....hmm......maybe I take a screencast and show you.
Sure, Ill check it out. If I do root someday that might come in handy.

I can help you through all of this if you wish. But I have been offered the Idon't 4 and passed (duh), Tbolt=pass, DX=pass....all because I am waiting for the Droid 3.....you know the dual core Droid coming out with a 4" screen and a 5 row physical keyboard......yeah....you should hold out for that IMO
I am holding out to see whats on the horizon. Lets see what Droid has coming up and then Ill make a decision.

Real quick to get back to the SD Card comment.....I recently upgraded to a 32GB card and my buddy is WAY jealous that his idon't can't do that.
One quick thing. I dont want to go there but I have to. Whats up with calling it the 'iDont'? Thats not cute, its not funny. I can understand you like Droid, I do as well. If anything Im annoyed that the iPhone is even an option. Say what you want, the fact of the matter is this. Only problem I should have is that I need a new battery. My old Dare is still going strong and its four years old. All I did was replace a battery. I SHOULD NOT have to root the phone for it to become worth owning. All these problems I have had and am having are ridiculous. This is some mess and if you actually take the time to go over to the iPhone forum, which I doubt any will do, youll see Im not the only one who had problems, switched over and did not look back. Difference is I intend to look back once Android gets their act together.

Nope, you`re not, as I pointed these things out earlier in the thread...

As far as what phone to get, if you are going to wait, then I agree with Nerds...get the Droid 3...it does everything your beloved iPhone does, and more, faster, sexier and with unreadability....
We shall see. We shall indeed see. Lets also see if it has all the games that I enjoyed so much on my Droid. Since lo and behold Android still cant get it together so that games and apps can be released for all Android phones at once. Want an example? My girlfriend has a Motorola Cliq. She doesnt have near as many problems as I do nor can she get half the apps I do. She cant play Angry Birds, she cant use the Kindle app. Why cant they fix this? What in the World is holding them back? I cant even tell my friends my favorite apps because chances are they cant get it on their phone. This mess is just downright ridiculous.

1) Don't know about the upcoming phones however you NEVER EVER had the option of doing a 1yr contract with the iPhone also in order to have done a 1yr you would have to be almost out of contract so less than 4 months on a 2yr or less than 2 months on a 1yr. It sounds like you signed a 2yr so you would have had to wait 20 months since your last upgrade.
This I did not know. Thank you for telling me. Even so, thats crazy. I can understand why Apple did it that way, more money when they release new ones, but now all the carriers are following suit?

Also based off what I read the iPhone is the perfect phone for you. Since you don't like refurbished phones and have so many issues. The iPhones don't usually have user generated problems and replacements are new I believe. Which would solve your problem there.
My point. They cant really open it and fix a problem so it makes sense that theyd just hand you a new one. And thats what Ive wanted since day one. A new Droid 1. Then the Droid R2D2 came out. Then the iPhone came out. By now I was sick of my plan, sick of wiping my phone and just about sick of Android. I really prefer physical keyboards but who cares if it has one or not if it barely works? So the iPhone seemed like a much better idea.

2) I may be wrong but I think Handcent was originally created to make the droids more like the iPhone and then just became a way to get exactly what you wanted out of your sms app. Usually you have less system control (probably a good thing for you) on the iPhone so I doubt it works the same but you should be happy with the stock app.
No. I would not be. Ive seen the stock app. Its very vanilla, very boring. No notifications? No backgrounds? Heck, I cant even get a sig? How is that even allowed anymore?

3) When using the iPhone as an ipod it uses VERY little juice. Of course any use is going to take away from your talk time but it is much better than one would think. For the most part the iPhone uses the least amount of background energy so you should be happier with that battery than what is found on most android phones. The Droid Charge may have better battery life though.
That is a plus indeed. Itd save me hauling my iPod everywhere and worrying if I left it someplace.

4) Wow no offense and I don't like to flame but you could have answered this one yourself from a ton of different sources. My answer is as follows: It seems that apple wants a level playing field for ATT and VZW when it comes to the iPhone. I would highly doubt that Apple will ever have any major features available to either side and not the other. So YES it does have it!
I figured so but I also thought it couldnt hurt to ask. There was a time when people swore Verizon would get the 3G and not the 4G right? So it wouldnt surprise me either way.

5) On the iPhone? Absolutely it snaps photos much quicker than most android phones. The colors are accurate and overall it looks great. You also have the option of saving 2 copies of the picture one being in HDR (this slows the process down) There are probably better android camera's out there but if you took all the 5 and 8mp android cameras and rounded all the results the iPhone would come out on top and looks better than most 8mp android cameras
The Android camera sucks. Period. Everyone knew that since the day it came out. I watched a lady take a picture with her iPhone in front of me at a carnival. It took the picture smoothly and saved it, it was a nice picture and done in a matter of seconds. Mine? Itd take a while to boot up, possibly freeze if I took a picture and oh yes, the ultimate kicker, the picture may not even be that good. Sometimes they come out grainy despite the surroundings. Whats up with that? Moms Fascinate is much better but doesnt seem to do so good with flash.

6) Is the reception good compared to??? I am quite certain there are some Android phones that are going to perform better than the iPhone but which ones? I am sure there are ones that do NOT perform as well. The iPhone for VZW does supposedly have a better antenna system than the ATT phone but when you compare that to the many years of experience and advanced antenna system in the phones like the droid x who comes out on top? I don't have a clue but if I was in a gambling mood I would probably throw my chips down on the X.
I dont know. Other Android phones? Verizon? The AT&T version? I just wanted to know if its the iPhone itself that gets bad reception or AT&T.

7) Is the phone a good buy? Yes for sure! especially for people who have become frustrated with android devices.
Ive been frustrated for some time and calling Verizon has never helped. Talking about rooting it hasnt helped much either. Im sure many of you here have success stories. Many dont. My friend, for instance, does not. My girlfriend, however, does. Mom does. My other friend with a Droid had a problem with Pop Up Ads once but thats it. So two bad phones out of five isnt bad. Problem is thats two people annoyed with the phone that arent being taken care of.

Lets face it either there is something wrong with your phone, there is something wrong with the way you use your phone, or your expectations for your phone are too high.
There is something wrong with my phone. I use it the way everyone else does and made sure to take care of it. I dropped it a few times but who hasnt? Otherwise Ive taken amazing care of it. It has a case and screen protector, very few scratches, stays away from water, what else can I say? Now lets look at my expectations and you tell me if Im wrong in what I want.
1) I want my phone to come on.
2) I want my phone to be able to txt properly not freeze up as I attempt to. If I am multitasking, such as online then get a little lag thats fine but sometimes it seems to want to lag as much as it can.
3) I want my phone to be able to surf the web at a legitimate pace. Most times its okay but sometimes its very slow despite having 3G up. Thisll be a problem with the iPhone as well Im sure, if the iTouch gives any clues as to what to expect.
4) I would like my phone to stop playing games when its in my pocket. Im tired of putting it in my pocket and pulling it out to see its decided to play Angry Birds. Pocket dialing? Maybe. I took 'No Lock' off so who knows?
5) I want my phone to, basically, do whatever it does right with the least amount of problems possible.

Now for what I DO NOT want.
1) I DO NOT want my phone to freeze. Battery pull? Man / woman please. This case is a pain in the neck. I havent battery pulled in a long time. I have to power off whenever it gets stupid which is way more often than it should.
2) I DO NOT want to exit an app such as Handcent and wait thirty seconds to a minute for my home screen to load.
3) I DO NOT want to take a picture and the app freeze after the picture is taken. So not only do I not get the picture, I also have to reboot the phone. Not to mention the mess I already went through waiting for my icons to load and then the camera to load.
4) I DO NOT want to get Error Messages telling me that the Application Launcher is not responding. What the heck is that? The home screen isnt responding?
5) I DO NOT want to try to call someone and find myself staring at various screens because it appears my phone doesnt feel like calling someone.
6) I DO NOT want my phone to be so loud that it can be heard upstairs in the house even though its on the lowest volume setting. I kid you not, I put this phone at my side and I could clearly hear the person speaking.
7) I DO NOT want to hear other people complaining that Im not coming through on their phone and instead they hear some noise similar to popcorn popping.
8) I DO NOT want people to stop talking to me on the phone because they said that all of a sudden my voice cut off even though I was still talking and no I didnt accidentally press Mute with my face.

My expectations are too high? More like theyre too low. Seriously, this phone has more problems than my Sidekick LX and I chucked that after a week.

If you had not been closed minded about the replacement then it either would or would NOT have fixed your problem. If it did NOT fix your problem then you better believe that the issue was you or your expectations and NOT the replacement device itself.
And you know why I was so close minded? Precisely the reason why everyone loves Android phones. The customization. Ive spent too much time, downloaded too many apps, all that to make this phone mine. I had to wipe it three times and hated it each time. It took me days to get all my apps back and find the patience to set everything up like it used to be. Now youre telling me that I need to go through three 'refurbished' AKA 'busted up but we fixed them' phones before youll give me a new one? How about you replace the already busted up one you sold me with a new one and well call it even? If it was so darn good to begin with it wouldnt be refurbished, would it?

Since you don't like refurbished phones then any way you put it you would not have been happy with the outcome.
If they gave me a new one way back when I would have. They should have right after I told them I had to wipe it twice already. But no, they instead had me wipe it again. And guess what, I went to Verizon recently and told them my problems, guess what they wanted to do. Wipe it again! Its the answer to everything Android! Too bad it never worked very well for this phone! Sure, some problems were fixed but the main ones are still there. Its the phone and they just dont care.

iPhone can take care of 2 of your potential scenarios and probably even the 3rd. Because to my knowledge Apple replacements are new devices (i could be wrong but i doubt it). It is very very hard for you to screw up your iPhone since it is such a controlled environment and the OS only has to be written for 1 type of phone compared to probably 50-100 types of phones with android. It is also a more simplified OS (my grandma uses it everyday with no problem). Finally your expectations probably will not exceed what the device delivers since Apple usually delivers on the experience.
My expectations are cut and dry. You give me all this cool stuff, let it work. It does not. Where am I wrong?

I feel that Android is a tinkerers phone and nothing can beet it for the technically inclined/obsessed. You are obviously not one of those people otherwise you would have been able to answer ALL the above questions yourself by searching reading and comparing objectively. Also you failed to realize that if the problem was actually the phone and not yourself that a refurbished device could not have been worse.
You dont know that. You dont know that at all. It could have been. Was I wrong to not take the chance? I can admit that yes, I was. But what if it panned out as I thought it would? Still everyone would be jumping on my back but itd be 'Clearly its the phone, get a new one'. Yeah, they dont want to give me a new one. Duh. Hence the problem. I am technically inclined / obsessed. Mighty bold statement to make for someone who doesnt know me but I am. I take many things apart and put them together for kicks. I used to enjoy doing all this tinkering around with the Droid but as I said, wipe it three times and get back to me. You get tired of 'tinkering' when its really fixing the same crap over and over again because the phone just doesnt want to work. You get tired of calling Verizon telling them that and 'WIPE IT' being the only answer. And now here the only real answer is root? Oh look, more tinkering! Im sick of tinkering!

So my opinion is get the iPhone. Just don't get the iPhone 4 since my judgement on you is that you will be upset at Verizon (not yourself) when the iPhone 5 comes out.

hope that helps
Im waiting to see the lineup for iPhone and Droid. Ill be fair and see what both of them have to offer. So far Im not impressed by Android.

PS the above are opinions, observations, guesswork, and conclusions based off what makes sense. So I might not be 100% correct on everything I said but that is the best your gonna get out of someone who is on an ANDROID FORUM NOT AN iPHONE FORUM!!!
Please dont take offense because Im not trying to flame or anything but what a cop out. See this is what I dont get. This is an Android forum. So what? This place is crowded with fanboys and that I knew. I know a fanboy, hes a pain in the neck. Even he can admit his Droid gives him serious problems. For crying out loud, the letters on his physical keyboard are falling off! You mean to tell me that just because this is an Android forum people dont have a clue about any phone but Android? Thats just sad. I thought iPhone had lost many to Droid. Where are those guys? Go to the iPhone forum, look at how many they gained from Droids that couldnt and wouldnt work. The forum Im at shouldnt matter, I should be able to get a nice comparison from both ends of the spectrum which is really all I wanted. I see you provided that for the most part and I thank you. It does seem that the iPhone is the best bet right now.

I agree that the D1 is just AMAZING however I would still tell anyone who had such a negative experience with android to jump ship. If you read through these forums there are a lot of people with negative experiences and there is a higher percentage of tech savvy people on this forum compared to all users in general so image the difficulties that you do not even hear about from the people who have no clue what forums are. Go to an iPhone forum and you wont see as many frustrating issues.
Thats my main point. The iPhone is ready to go from day one and very few problems. The Droid has given me nothing but problems and Im sick of it.

Also as far as a dual core android phone is concerned bye the time VZW gets one Apple will probably be right around the corner with a dual core in their phone.
Whats all this about a dual core? What is it and why should I care? I have heard rumors the iPhone 5 will have it, we shall see.

Also if you can't root the phone yourself DO NOT root it. You need to be at least tech savvy enough to do it bye finding a walkthrough on your own to do it because you need to be able to identify issues that are caused by a rom, a kernel or software compared to the phone itself which I am not sure you are there.
ATM, its still in consideration. I havent found the time to even think much more on it nor am I with said friend who was interested but thanks, Ill remember that.

No joke the iphone4 is already out dated....hell so is the iphone5. Also the reson youre prolly having issues with the os is due to bloatware. The cure for this is rooting and flashing cm6. As for your battery issues i can assure you a new battery is what you need. Being thats the same baterry as the d2 and d2g its still available. I have a d2g and use my phone all day and have no battery issues same with my buddy at work with a d1...he also has never had an issue with his handset.imo the iphone is just a bad choice for reasons of no removable battery...wtf do you do when it freezes? Another is that there is no sd slot...sorry i like to beable to move my files from phone to phone with ease and not syncing to lame ass itunes....idk ive never been a fan of any mac products.
Bloatware? What bloatware? I know I need a new battery. I charge it before bed, get up in the morning, check my Email and some other messages and my phone gives me the 15% warning. It goes from a full charge to that drained that quickly. Thats annoying enough but Im also mad that that isnt the only problem. As I said, its been almost two years. Four years and my Dare is still going strong. Many with iPhones have had them how long without jailbreaks? Now youre telling me that my problem is that I need to root my phone to get it to work the way it should? And no one sees a problem with that? Android should work just like iPhones, smooth right out of the box. Sure, you can root, if you want, but why would you? Everything is okay as it is. Thats not the way it is sadly. I like the SD card feature but really, its only going as high as a 32GB iPhone. Thats a moot point here. Also, I have many problems with that as well, the phone takes forever to recognize the computer. Itll recognize it then you click for it to attach and watch that loading circle move until your screen dims out a few times. Around the third time the Android logo goes back to green. As you may know, when its connected its orange. So you can attempt a reconnect if you want. It might surprise you then, sometimes it will immediately connect. Sometimes it wont. Long story short, thats good when it works. As for when it freezes, I dont battery pull. Case makes that too much work. I power off. But I see your point. I dont like iTunes much either and Im not a fan of Mac. However I can admit they have a good product and ATM seem to be the best choice. And about that outdated thing? You could be right but you realize that a week or so after you get whatever Android phone you get thatll be outdated too right? Thats just technology. At this point Im not worried about outdated. I like to be up to date enough that I can keep up with the games and whatnot but thats it. When I buy for contracts I like to buy the best out at that time. Since Im nearing sick and tired of Android well see what happens.

In all honesty you have to go thru 3 refubs to get a new phone or tell assirion you lost it to get a new one. Its the lemon law or something. I read about it before. Also everytime i send back 3 broken handsets in a row i get a new one so its gotta be true. Also the d1 isnt in produstion anymore and a few friends i kno who sent back messed up d1 got the d2 as a replacement.
Bull. I did lose it once. They didnt offer a replacement. Thankfully someone found it and it was returned to me but thats besides the point. That rule, if it is one, is stupid. They give you a defective product, you give them yours, they fix it and pass it off to someone else wholl send it back and the cycle keeps on going. Wouldnt it make more sense and save money plus UPS or the USPSs time to just mail new ones? Im not playing dirty, thats how I see it. I tell the truth. The phone was lost, someone found it and returned it. I like how they told me I was basically out of luck when that happened too. But besides that, the phone was messed up before then, nothing changed. No one over there cares.

Anyways good luck with your choice. Im android til its dead and gone myself....but its pretty much taking over and dominating so idk if thatll be happening ever.
Thanks. Im not that way as you can see. Im for whoever provides the best product. I wish I could feel that way about Android but they really need to step it up.

@xrp861

No bloatware on the Droid 1 and yes he probably does need a new battery after 1yr of use good point!
I know. I know. I agree.

It's true, heavy use of a cell phone battery, constant charging and discharging, will cause it to lose effective capacity. Replacing a battery, especially with a higher capacity one, will go a long way. They aren't even expensive... a new stock battery from Amazon is $5. Get as many as you want (something you *can't* do with an iphone).

Amazon.com: Motorola DROID and DROID II 1300mah Standard Battery: Cell Phones & Accessories
Thanks for that. I might just do that and point my friend there. But let me tell you, its probably obvious but I never switched batteries once. I dont see how thats so important. Its something one would like, I appreciated it before, but now that I have it I see I never use it, except to battery pull and trust me thats more annoying than anything.

And here is the spring/summer guide for Verizon (includes more than androids):

Verizon Spring/Summer Guide Doesn’t Mention DROIDX2 or Bionic - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

If you want a phone for gaming, try the Sony Xperia Play. It's designed to play PSX games and it has a slide out controller. Not a qwerty keyboard, but if your main use of the physical keyboard is games, this will trump that. Then just use the soft keyboard or swype for typing.

-m
Thanks. Ill consider the XPeria but Im wondering if itll be any good. Last time someone tried that the NGage came out and we all know how that ended. Sides it has a terrible design.

I just want to add, sorry if I come off as rude or arrogant to anyone. I appreciate all the help and feedback but really, I just think that the mere fact that I even need to root my phone is preposterous. With an iPhone, jailbreaking is an option. Many do not do it. The same with most Android phones. I seem to recall that being a discussion once about how many actually know about it and do it. But lets be honest, isnt rooting basically hacking the phone? Youre telling me I need to hack the phone to get it to work right? And this is okay? Fanboy or not, Id figure most people would see how wrong that sounds.

Last edited:

BodyBagz

Reaction score
I hope this will be my last post in this thread...but I am a glutton for punishment, so who knows...

If your battery is that bad, why wouldnt you spend the damn $5 to replace it? The fact that you have an older phone whose battery is still good is a moot point...my old HTC Touch could go 2 days easy between charges, as does my DX...but thats not an adequate bar to measure by.

Apple can offer brand new phones because they know people will still purchase them as refurbs, either online or in store...and they do, by the hundreds of thousands. I`m sorry you didnt ask or read about how Verizon treats malfunctioning devices...thats your own fault, not the fault of the Android OS. Had you did what was required of you, you could have gotten a new phone, either a D1 or maybe a D2 or Dx...it has happened to plenty of people.

You misunderstand...you do not have to root in order for your phone to work as advertised. What you do have to do, is be aware that any phone can be defective...and then go through the proper channels to get that defect and or device fixed/replaced. At anytime you could have contacted Motorola and filed a warranty claim...you didnt. You could have sent the phone back to Verizon and got a refurb, which is their policy...you didnt. When you did lose your phone, you say Asurion wouldnt replace it...why is that? Maybe because you were under the false impression that it would be free, and then found out it was in fact going to cost a nominal fee? I have been with VZW for a while now, and I have had insurance on at least 2 of the 5 phones on my contract during the entire time...and not 1 time have we ever been told that a phone would not be replaced when it was an acceptable insurance claim from them...strange huh?
The rooting of a phone can indeed sometimes fix issues...software related, but not hardware, so rooting is not a cure all. Hardware issues require a new device, or enough mechanical know-how to fix that issue...this is where insurance/refurbs come in.

At this time, I think an iPhone is your best bet. No sense in beating this dead horse any longer...there is no Android device out now or forth coming that is going to appease you. Your staunch stance against what is out now is a clear indicator of that. Save yourself the headache, and just go get a iPhone 4 and be done with it. Then, along about September, go ahead and get the iPhone 5.

While you are at it, please go to Swappa.com and list your D1...I need a phone to use to learn how to build apps, and seeing as yours is the "proverbial piece of junk" that you claim, it would not be a bad loss if I were to brick it completely. I will gladly keep rocking my original DX, which out of the box never gave me an issue, then after 2 months, I rooted just so I could make it more mine by adding a custom ROM and themes, and is now sporting GingerBread and still giving me no issues...cause My Droid Does...and Does It Quite Well....:)

X_TAC23

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok with all of this being said I have read through five pages of the same thing. Op make your best judgement and choose the phone that suites your needs. This thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.