Nexus or Rezound? I only get one shot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugg727

Reaction score
Now before you flame me please keep in mind that even though this is my first thread that I started, I am a long time follower of this site and forums. I am pretty tech savvy yet I don't get a new phone every year or two. In the past 6 years I have owned 2 Blackberries. The most recent is the Storm 1 which I got at launch (Nov. 2008), patiently applied the updates to make it usable and I actually had a good experience with the phone. It did what I needed it to do...email, phone and XM Radio. Obviously now you can have so much more in a phone, which is why I laugh when I see people complaining about their "old" Droid X...

Two things have driven me away from BB: 1) RIM has not released anything even close to whats considered current technology and 2) After trolling Droid Forums for over a year since my NE2 upgrade was available to me, I want the next powerhouse phone that I can customize and make it do what I want.....thus Android, not IOS.

I was leaning Nexus but the specs look very good for the Rezound.

I am looking for input from people like me, who have an upgrade in hand and are interested in these 2 great phones....what are your thoughts?

mightybrick

Reaction score
Now before you flame me please keep in mind that even though this is my first thread that I started, I am a long time follower of this site and forums. I am pretty tech savvy yet I don't get a new phone every year or two. In the past 6 years I have owned 2 Blackberries. The most recent is the Storm 1 which I got at launch (Nov. 2008), patiently applied the updates to make it usable and I actually had a good experience with the phone. It did what I needed it to do...email, phone and XM Radio. Obviously now you can have so much more in a phone, which is why I laugh when I see people complaining about their "old" Droid X...

Two things have driven me away from BB: 1) RIM has not released anything even close to whats considered current technology and 2) After trolling Droid Forums for over a year since my NE2 upgrade was available to me, I want the next powerhouse phone that I can customize and make it do what I want.....thus Android, not IOS.

I was leaning Nexus but the specs look very good for the Rezound.

I am looking for input from people like me, who have an upgrade in hand and are interested in these 2 great phones....what are your thoughts?
If experience with customizing the device how you like is important, the hands-down you should go with the Nexus. It has an unlocked bootloader allowing custom roms, kernels, etc, plus it will have the largest dev community. Complete customization. Spec-wise, the Rezound is nice, but the bootloader is still currently locked. Based on what you have said, I think the Nexus will provide the best experience for you, as long as you can wait for the release, whenever that may be. That said, my personal choice is Nexus first, and the Rezound number two. I'm not even considering the Razr.

EDIT: A little more about where I'm coming from. I picked up a BB Storm the week it released, and used it for a year before I became frustrated with it. I sold it, then picked up the original Droid 2 weeks after launch, and have had a good experience with it. I feel that the Nexus will be the only device out on Verizon that will provide a similar open customization experience as the OG Droid.

Last edited:

bigeric828

Reaction score
Well heres my simple opinion. I'm coming from OG droid. With all the dev support the OG droid, my phone has run amazing and better than i could have ever imagined. With all the custom roms, kernels, and random tweaks, the phone has just been amazing. The Nexus seems like it will get similar dev support(roms already out for GSM version) so the Nexus is going to only get better as time goes on with the devs just improving it and improving it. My thought process has been that they might be similar at release, but overtime the nexus will clearly be the better phone and i don't think it will take too long for this to happen.

jcardona1

Reaction score
Based on what you say, Nexus without a doubt, for the reasons mentioned above. Why not get the Rezound right now, and return it in a few weeks?

OP
H

Hugg727

Reaction score
One of the main reasons why I will go Droid is because of the community that it has behind it and these responses are a great example of that...thanks!

Just playing devils advocate here....what if Verizon "messes" with the Nexus...like locks the bootloader or adds a bunch of bloat? This is why i am not fully sold on the Nexus, I have been a customer for 10 years and I dont trust VZW. The rezound is scheduled to get ICS in Q1 2012 and when that happens it really pulls right up alongside the GN in terms of performance. Having said that, I have zero experience with Sense but it does sound likes its the best stock UI out there.

I did think about buying the Rezound at Costco and doing the return thing but I hate having to do that, its just not me. I'd rather do my HW up front and avoid that.

Status
Not open for further replies.