Nexus Devices Getting Gingerbread 2.3.3; Update Disables Sync in Facebook

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google-facebook.jpg

If you are a Nexus One or Nexus S user, then today brings some interesting news. Google is pushing out Gingerbread version 2.3.3 today, but only for the aforementioned Nexus devices. It brings with it several new features, including full support for the NFC chip in the Nexus S.

It also comes with a peculiar feature change that only affects the Nexus S and other "lead devices" for now; it disables the contact sync feature in Facebook. Basically, Google is attempting to push Facebook into making their contacts data available to Google, and is being more fair in the process. Other apps currently have to use Android's contacts API. Google has this to say about it,
We believe it is very important that users are able to control their data. So in the over-the-air update for Nexus S, we have a small change to how Facebook contacts appear on the device. For Nexus S users who downloaded the Facebook app from Android Market, Facebook contacts will no longer appear to be integrated with the Android Contacts app. Since Facebook contacts cannot be exported from the device, the appearance of integration created a false sense of data portability. Facebook contact data will continue to appear within the Facebook app. Like all developers on Android, Facebook is free to use the Android contacts API to truly integrate contacts on the device, which would allow users to have more control over their data. We are removing the special-case handling of Facebook contacts on Nexus S and future lead devices. We continue to believe that reciprocity (the expectation that if information can be imported into a service it should be able to be exported) is an important step toward creating a world of true data liberation -- and encourage other websites and app developers to allow users to export their contacts as well.
After Engadget's further inquiry, Google explained that they are simply re-enforcing their own official rules. Apparently, Facebook was granted a "free pass" that allowed its contacts to remain in the cloud. Ultimately, this is the same thing that would happen if you uninstalled the app, or deleted your Facebook account. Any of your contacts that were created and stored in the network will no longer be visible on your smartphone. It makes sense that Google would want access to the gold-mine of marketing data they would receive from having access to Facebook contacts through Android; however, they are implementing their rules more fairly now, which makes it hard to point any fingers at them. What do you guys think?

Source: Android.net via Engadget

Last edited:

jacobmervine

Reaction score
I like the feature, but i do believe that facebook should follow the same rules as any one else! i think alot of people will be mad though when this is forced.

Reaction score
Most of my contacts in my phone are from facebook...

:-/ Not very cool, even though I understand the reasoning.

epsilonbass

Reaction score
"We believe it is very important that users are able to control their data...."
...So we are taking away that data.

Yes, while I do enjoy the fact that facebook syncs my friends into my contacts list, it is also annoying that I can't edit any facebook friend info. But to take away a feature that people already have (at least in part) seems like a big step backwards. Okay, so it's in google's rules or whatever, but it allowed facebook in in the first place, right? One company forcing another company to conform by restricting the experience of the paying customers? To me it's almost like saying, "Well, I'm gonna hold down this puppies head underwater until you create an underwater puppy breathing device."

Rword

Reaction score
CM7 nightly does the same thing on my Droid 1. Was glad to see this thread, lets me know why it wasn't syncing. I know I can go in and set it how I want it but that only last until I reboot then it is set back to "Don't Sync"..

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
Glad to see the enforcement. I accidentally synced it when I first got my phone and hated it.

Same thing happened to me with my first Droid phone, back in the day, and it made me CRAZY, until I stumbled onto the solution. Glad Google is starting to enforce this rule.

-Mike

obxsalvo

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Glad to see the enforcement. I accidentally synced it when I first got my phone and hated it.

Same thing happened to me with my first Droid phone, back in the day, and it made me CRAZY, until I stumbled onto the solution. Glad Google is starting to enforce this rule.

-Mike

My feelings also!