Nexus Devices Getting Gingerbread 2.3.3; Update Disables Sync in Facebook

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Feb 23, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

If you are a Nexus One or Nexus S user, then today brings some interesting news. Google is pushing out Gingerbread version 2.3.3 today, but only for the aforementioned Nexus devices. It brings with it several new features, including full support for the NFC chip in the Nexus S.

It also comes with a peculiar feature change that only affects the Nexus S and other "lead devices" for now; it disables the contact sync feature in Facebook. Basically, Google is attempting to push Facebook into making their contacts data available to Google, and is being more fair in the process. Other apps currently have to use Android's contacts API. Google has this to say about it,
    After Engadget's further inquiry, Google explained that they are simply re-enforcing their own official rules. Apparently, Facebook was granted a "free pass" that allowed its contacts to remain in the cloud. Ultimately, this is the same thing that would happen if you uninstalled the app, or deleted your Facebook account. Any of your contacts that were created and stored in the network will no longer be visible on your smartphone. It makes sense that Google would want access to the gold-mine of marketing data they would receive from having access to Facebook contacts through Android; however, they are implementing their rules more fairly now, which makes it hard to point any fingers at them. What do you guys think?

Source: Android.net via Engadget
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  2. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

Glad to see the enforcement. I accidentally synced it when I first got my phone and hated it.
  3. jacobmervine

jacobmervine New Member

I like the feature, but i do believe that facebook should follow the same rules as any one else! i think alot of people will be mad though when this is forced.
  4. SixStringTheory

SixStringTheory New Member

Most of my contacts in my phone are from facebook...

:-/ Not very cool, even though I understand the reasoning.
  5. DroidMastar2

DroidMastar2 New Member

The reasoning is masked by a rule... but is only because Google craves user info.
  6. TheSilentStapler

TheSilentStapler New Member

Whatever happened to the Droid X getting 2.3? :(
  7. epsilonbass

epsilonbass New Member

"We believe it is very important that users are able to control their data...."
    ...So we are taking away that data.

Yes, while I do enjoy the fact that facebook syncs my friends into my contacts list, it is also annoying that I can't edit any facebook friend info. But to take away a feature that people already have (at least in part) seems like a big step backwards. Okay, so it's in google's rules or whatever, but it allowed facebook in in the first place, right? One company forcing another company to conform by restricting the experience of the paying customers? To me it's almost like saying, "Well, I'm gonna hold down this puppies head underwater until you create an underwater puppy breathing device."
  8. Rword

Rword New Member

CM7 nightly does the same thing on my Droid 1. Was glad to see this thread, lets me know why it wasn't syncing. I know I can go in and set it how I want it but that only last until I reboot then it is set back to "Don't Sync"..
  9. UltraDroid

UltraDroid DF Super Moderator Staff Member

Same thing happened to me with my first Droid phone, back in the day, and it made me CRAZY, until I stumbled onto the solution. Glad Google is starting to enforce this rule.

-Mike
  10. UltraDroid

UltraDroid DF Super Moderator Staff Member

Peterbeth - did you have a question directed to me?

-Mike
  11. obxsalvo

obxsalvo Member

My feelings also!