Facebook Denies a Facebook Branded Smartphone for HTC

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
facebook-logo.jpg

Yesterday, there was more 'rumint' (rumor/intelligence) around the interwebs that HTC would soon be releasing a Facebook branded smartphone or two. We didn't report it because, frankly, it didn't seem that interesting or valid. Today Facebook has come forward to deny the claims, and that seems much more interesting.

A Facebook spokesperson, Dan Rose, has stated, “the rumors around there being something more to this HTC device are overblown." He went on to say, “...just another example of a manufacturer who has taken our public APIs and integrated them into their device in an interesting way.” Also, when directly asked if there was a Facebook branded HTC device set to be announced at MWC, he flatly responded, "No."

Hmmm... it's an fascinating game of 'he said, she said'. I wonder why these rumors still persist? What do you guys think... would you be excited by a Facebook branded Android smartphone? The idea of more fully integrated Facebook apps seems useful, but does anyone really want a blank-looking, blue and white Facebook logo on the front of their phone?

Source: SlashGear

teddyblair

Reaction score
Definitely not. I'm a pretty heavy facebook user - and i love the integration of facebook into my droid thru the apps : adding numbers, photos, & status updates to contacts as well as the widgets... but i want facebook to be something that my phone DOES (insert "Droid Does" joke here), not what my phone IS.

Years ago, when some companies (slips my mind specifically who) released some "myspace phones," I thought it was terrible. and not that I'm up to date on their sales statistics but from what I could tell, they didn't do very well.

Despite Facebook's new "MOBILE MOBILE MOBILE!" business movement, I highly doubt they would take it that far, and I think it'd be a smart move not too.

Big Ry

Reaction score
Do we need to pull up that old lawsuit chart and add a FB bubble with an arrow pointing to HTC? Lol

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk