Nexus 8 Tablet Tipped for Mid-2014 Launch

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jan 21, 2014.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

The latest Android tablet rumor to hit the news bin is that Google is planning to release a Nexus 8 tablet in the middle of this year. Supposedly, the success of the Apple iPad Mini has forced Google to take notice and offer a compelling alternative in that size range. One other interesting thing to note about this rumored Nexus 8 tablet is that Google is mulling over using Intel's Bay Trail architecture instead of NVIDIA or Qualcomm this time.

The rumor also suggests that the device will not be LG-made which has been speculated previously. Currently Asus is once again the front-runner to build the device for Google. Here's a quote with the details,

Sound off and share whether you think a Nexus 8 tablet would be of interest to you. Could the 8-inch form factor be the perfect median between the 7-inch tablet and the 10-inch? Perhaps this size is big enough to be able to read better, but light enough to reduce hand fatigue...

Source: DigiTimes
  2. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

I'm definitely interested in a 7-8" tablet. But probably not this one as I'm guessing it won't have an SD slot.
  3. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Well-Known Member

Absolutely love my 10" OG Asus Transformer. But after holding a new Nexus 7 in my hands -- and realizing how heavy and clunky the 10" form factor is -- I could easily imagine myself adopting an 8" cousin.

-Matt
  4. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

If the dimensions were the same as the Nexus 7 tablets, bring it on. Keep it in a 1080p aspect ratio and it should be great. As for competing with the iPad Mini in the 8" market, I bet its more after the Galaxy Note 8. The iPad Mini, IMO, is no competition.
  5. kodiak799

I'm glad to hear someone else with this opinion. It's basically where I stand as I think holding the 10" tablets really have to be propped up for extended viewing - for reading I think a 7-8" is ideal (not sure which size I'd go for).

And, actually, you need some bezel to facilitate holding it comfortably without interfering with navigation or viewing.
    2 people like this.
  6. tgyberg

tgyberg Well-Known Member

Agreed. The bezel on the 7 is pretty huge so I think this could be done
  7. gadgetrants

I hate to sound greedy, but my one concern is (and this is pure second-hand marketing logic), if the N7 debuted for roughly $230/$280 (for the 16/32GB), then it stands to reason an equivalent N8 would have to be something like $260/$320 (or whatever). So yeah, I'd expect a small price-premium for that additional inch, which sort of frustrates me because I'd imagine in tear-down costs it would be a near-negligible increase.

Or well, I suppose that given the imaginary tablet shown above is just that, all bets are off. There's no reason in principle that the N8 couldn't have some additional features, e.g., a middle- to high-end digitizer, which would "justify" the higher price tag over the N7. But personally what I secretly wish for is EXACTLY the N7 my wife has now, but 1 inch larger!

-Matt
  8. kodiak799

With bezels disappearing, especially on tablets, they need to create a "dead touch" area around the edges for holding without registering touch input. Or at least on the sides.

Seems like it would be a relatively easily software tweak. I think Google may have been after that "how do you hold it?" issue when they put a ton of bezel on the Nexus 7
  9. gadgetrants

I'd imagine that could be picked up by the gesture system, i.e., a "non-touch bezel hold" is:

- along the edge of the screen
    - with more force/pressure than a typical touch
    - significantly longer than a long-press (e.g., 2+ seconds)

Like you said, I don't think it would take 5 minutes of coding in software to treat such touches as "ignored." And I'm assuming at this point...I forget, but isn't the N7 10-touch capable? I'd guess the average user is rarely activating more than a few of those multi-touch points, and if so, dedicating a few to filtering out grip/hold touches should cost nothing. Come to think of it, it should be pretty much analogous to the heuristics for palm-rejection used on other "writable" touchscreens.

-Matt
    1 person likes this.
Search tags for this page

nexus 8