Nexus 5X & Nexus 6P Let You Activate Camera with Double-tap on Power Button or Double Twist of Wrist

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
new-nexus-camera-options.png

Update: According to multiple sources across the web, it looks like the double-twist to activate feature for the camera on both of these phones will be dropped. At the time of this post yesterday, that was not the case, but things shift quickly in this industry. We aren't sure why Google is dropping the feature, but we will keep an eye out if this news changes. Sorry for the correction.

One of the best new features for both the Nexus 5X and the Nexus 6P didn't get a great deal of press time. Both devices have a handy and quick way for you to activate the camera without having to fumble around with opening up the OS and missing your shot of that funny moment so you can embarrass your friends forever.

One of these methods is the double-tap on power button. This one was shared during the press event, but still didn't get talked about much afterward. The second method didn't really get any "screen time." Just like with some Motorola devices, you can now activate the camera on the Nexus 5X and/or 6P with a double-twist of the wrist.

Either method will actually turn on the device and open up the camera app immediately so you can be quick on the draw for that perfect Kodak moment. Nice!

Both of these options can be found in the Display setting on their respective devices. Here's our dedicated section for both of these devices:
Source: AndroidPolice

Last edited:

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I really like this, quick launching the camera saves so many missed opportunities. Good to see this feature.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I'm glad the double twist is on it. I would have missed that from my Moto.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I thought the power button thing was a good enough measure, but I'm glad to see the flick of the wrist coming as well.

That feature and the chop for flashlight were 2 things on the Moto X Pure that I was sorry I was going to miss out on when it didn't work out that I could get that device.

Having one of the 2 features and a legit Nexus device with fingerprint scanner that seems to be leaps and bounds above my Note 4's is great for me.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Aw man. I guess as long as there is some kind of quick launch feature, I'm happy.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Double twist > double tap. Is Google afraid of infringing Motorola patent there?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Seems pretty motoesque there..doesn't it?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yeah, but Google owned them for a minute. They kept ambient display or notifications or whatever the black screen with white info is called.