Newbie questions about Exchange Email/Calendar

yamatos

Reaction score
Hello,

As I am coming from using WinMo phones 5 to 6.5 last 5 years and finally joined Android world with Droid 2 global, I have couple newbie questions.

As corporte email is important to me at work, I see that Data Push (enabled or disabled) or fetch schedule (manually or every few min or hours) is pretty limited where I can't select a specific time and the day where WinMo had. I was wondering if this can be done in D2G.

Also I don't get any notification sound/vibration when Exchange Calendar reminder comes up... only green light blinking... Am I missing something to set this up somewhere?

This is my 3rd day with this phone and so much to learn...

Thanks!

leobg

Reaction score
This is common for all android devices. Unfortunately mail client on android has some more catching to do with WinMo mail in regards of Exchange integration.

I was struggling with the two very same issues on my Milestone when I purchased it back in February.

To battle the two problems you have couple of options.

First option is to use either Moxier Mail or TouchDown mail clients - they have all functionality you need including on-off hours, repeat notifications/etc. They are not free though $20-$25. I initially went this way (purchased Touchdown). The biggest letdown with both these is contacts integration is not quite transparent.

Ever since I managed to get Froyo running on my Milestone I am using the second option - in Froyo, built-in mail client became much more refined (can handle calendar events, etc), pretty much the only thing missing is on-off hours and repetitive notifications. Repetitive alerts can be fixed if you get an app from market called "Calendar snooze". Works absolutely great! There is free and paid version (difference is paid does not display ads). As far as sync schedule goes though, I couldn't find way to implement it automatically - what I do is go to mail/settings and turn email check frequency from push to manual. Annoying but works.

Let's hope the next Android release - 2.3 will bring all the remaining missing pieces to the mail application! I am pretty sure Droid 2 Global will get that upgrade.

OP
Y

yamatos

Reaction score
Leobg, thanks for your reply. I just tried Calendar Snooze (free version) and works as I expected to. Looks like I will have to deal with manual on/off from Data Delivery every night and morning for now...

ba-b4

Reaction score
On my D2 global the stock email app was pretty useless when it came to exchange mail. Tried touchdown but that only worked for the first few days then became unreliable. Now I'm using a free app called "Improved Email." Seems to be more reliable. You can give it a try.

PCS

Reaction score
I just bought a Droid 2 Global and installed Touchdown a couple of days later. My phone began to "freeze" then restart itself every time I made a phone call. Did a little troubleshooting, never did figure out what the problem, but whatever it was, it worked itself out (I thought, anyway). Phone worked fine for several days but today it's back to doing a freakout meltdown every time I make a call. I booted in safe mode and tried to repeat the problem, no dice. So....it is an app causing the prob and I'm afraid it's Touchdown. So first of all...anyone else have this issue with Touchdown? What other exchange apps are available for me to use? I don't have corporate email (self-employed) so i am on my own...any info would be greatly appreciated.

leobg

Reaction score
I use touchdown all the time and I never experienced symptoms you are. Could be something else you installed. If you have time - I would recommend you to wipe everything (factory reset) and start fresh. Touchdown can backup settings so you don't have to enter everything again, but of course you have to take care about backing up other data you have on the phone that you need if you decide to go this way.