Newbie here - What does rooting mean?

gm2160

Reaction score
Just got an android X and love it but I don't understand the term rooting and the type of apps you can install.

Sorry if this is an elementary question, I'm just trying to figure out how to get the most out of this phone. I use to be an iphone user and I have a feeling that I will be able to do more with the X than the iphone.

spydergirl

Reaction score
Just got an android X and love it but I don't understand the term rooting and the type of apps you can install.

Sorry if this is an elementary question, I'm just trying to figure out how to get the most out of this phone. I use to be an iphone user and I have a feeling that I will be able to do more with the X than the iphone.

Don't feel bad. I've asked the same questions. ;)

jonDOES

Reaction score
Rooting basically means hacking your phone.. from what I understand, having not done it myself, it allows you to customize your phone more than a normal android user will be able to. You can customize anything from what your software looks like on screen, all the way down to how hard your processor is working. (Overclocking & underclocking)

There is a downfall to all of this though.
If you root your phone, your factory warranty is null and void.
Also, if you root your phone, and "brick" it, or basically lock it, meaning you mess something up and disable your phone. you will have to take it to a verizon store to get them to reboot it for you.
They, for obvious reasons will be unhappy about this, and may even make you pay for them to unbrick your phone.

Sent from my DROID2