New zoom on camera

eyexam

Reaction score
Just starting taking pictures after the 2.2 upgrade. LOVE how the options are on the video screen! However, whenever I zoom to ANY new level (2,3, or 4X), the picture ON the screen is blurred and the photo comes out the same way. At first, I thought I was just shaking too much but I've used a hard surface to rest it and it's still blurred.

Is this a glitch???
thanks
Jeff

Joker

Reaction score
When you mention blurry, do you mean pixelated? As the camera on the phone is a fixed focus lens, it actually uses a digital zoom. So in reality it is just taking the view of what you see at 1x and then just enlarging the center. As a side effect the fine small pixels at 1x now look much bigger at 2x-4x. I would actually recommend either getting closer to the subject or use a photo editing software on a computer to zoom and crop. You will get a better result.

OP
E

eyexam

Reaction score
Thanks Joker (love the picture),
No, not pixelated- just blurred! I can zoom and see it mostly clearly on the screen when I line up the shot (mountains, for example) but when it comes into my gallery, it's very blurred. Rather disappointing to see them on my desktop screen as a "soft" image...

Jeff

dwagner88

Reaction score
Non-optical zooms are totally useless. That plus the face that this camera is a bit dodgy in the first place, and you get bad results. Whenever possible, use your feet to get the picture you want.

OP
E

eyexam

Reaction score
Non-optical zooms are totally useless. That plus the face that this camera is a bit dodgy in the first place, and you get bad results. Whenever possible, use your feet to get the picture you want.
Thanks for the depressing news.....:icon_eek:
OH well, so much for 5 MP, eh?

Jeff

Joker

Reaction score
Well as mentioned in many other parts of the internet, MegaPixels do not a camera make. There are way too many factors beside MP count to determine how clear/well a picture is. I think the Droid does a fairly decent job with good lighting conditions for a phone, however if you want nice desktop wallpaper sorry to say but stick with an actual camera.

And thanks for the comment about the avatar.:)

rjsurfer

Reaction score
Like others have said there is more to it than the number of pixels.

Remember your shooting through a lens the size of a sesame seed.

Ron W.

OP
E

eyexam

Reaction score
Yeah, good point. I guess I was concerned because the indoor and closeup shots are looking GREAT; it's those scenic shots that don't make the grade. Oh well.....

thanks