New youtube, installation unsuccessful?

Reaction score
Having trouble updating to the new standalone youtube app. Says version is not compatible or something? anyone else had this issue?

Cleared data in the market, uninstalled the old youtube.apk via titaniumbackup..

any other ideas?

kinfolk248

Reaction score
i had a similar problem as mine said install was unsuccessful. what i did was use root explorer go to system app delete youtube then clear market cache and force stop, reboot problem and then install the new one... that is what i have to do with some of these new and improved apps if they're a system app like youtube, the new carhome etc...

bill1253

Reaction score
you can also use titanium backup to delete it also for those who don't have root explorer

kenbarnum

Reaction score
I used Titanium for both You Tube and Launcher Pro. I had to reboot for both to work.

Invader DJ

Reaction score
I've found the best way to update system apps that fail when downloading is to use Root Explorer.

Navigate to /system/app click the Mount as R/W button and delete the .apk file for the app you are trying to update. If you are paranoid you can just change the file extension to .old just in case you ever need the original apk back. Once you do that click Mount as R/O button and then reboot. The reboot is important, without it the fix won't work. You can then download the updated app as normal.

I've done this with the updated LauncherPro, Google Search, and YouTube apps with no problem. The only thing to make sure of is that with LauncherPro you need another launcher before you delete it. I would install ADW and leave it around in case this has to be done again.

Speaking of that, does anyone else know if we will have to do this in the future when the app updates again? And is there anyway to fix it so we don't have to go through this?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

_jroid

Reaction score
awesome. I just had this problem. I will try invader dj's method works.

bump47

Reaction score
So in order to get your settings for launcherpro back is to go into the system either thru root explorer or titanium and remove it and then reinstall it from the market?

Techno Droid

Reaction score
i had this problem with lp, youtube, and google search. i did the titanium way.. no luck. forgot to reboot!!! lol and now they work! thnx soo much guys, i thought i had to ditch UD bc it was glitchy.. lol

bump47

Reaction score
Ok so I used titanium to delete launcherpro. It worked and then I rebooted, now I'm stuck at the Ultimate Droid boot up screen. How do I get this to work?

Techno Droid

Reaction score
do you have a backup? power down droid or battery pull. boot into clockwork(hold x and power at the same time, let go of power when M logo appears, but keep holing x.) nandroid>restore>scroll down>install. reflash rom after boot. this time when you delete luancher pro, make sure you have another home replacement like adw(make default launcher!!!) and redo all steps. its bc you deleted the only home luancher you had. lol

kenbarnum

Reaction score
Make sure you download a 2nd launcher BEFORE deleting LauncherPro.

I was not sure this was a problem but did it anyway. I see that you definitely need to though.

I am pretty sure by doing this you are making it updatable for the future...meaning you shouldn't need to use these steps for future updates.

bump47

Reaction score
Yes, I got it. Everything works now except that in the market it says that I need an update for youtube, launcherpro, and google search. Will I have to do the above method of deleting lp everytime there is an update? That kinda stinks