New verizon update while rooted

jasonD

Reaction score
Has anyone done the update while rooted? Im wondering what will happen. Im currently on. 340 and rooted and i am getting the alert to install the new update. I really dont want to go thru all the steps to update, go back to .340 and do all the wipes and installs. Will i lose root if i go ahead with the update? I just dont want to lose my hotspot capibilities.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

draneo

Reaction score
Word is you will loose root.... if it even lets you do the update.

Sent from my Droid X

OP
J

jasonD

Reaction score
K. I wish I could just find the update file and delete it. The warnings pop up every few hours which I don't like. I guess I will have to SBF back and start all over. Is everyone liking being rooted on GB? I guess if I am doing all this I should just try it out. I'm using Launcher Pro on my phone for weather and the clock, will I still be able to use that program?

milski65

Reaction score
It might be too late, but if you have titanium back up you can go into that and freeze 2.2.1 updater(I think that's the name of it). I would not recommend deleting anything. It may cause you issues in the future if you want to swap between froyo and gb. If you take the ota update you will loose root. There is no way to root the ota, and from the looks of it they will not come out with one.

pool_shark

Reaction score
Not everyone is liking GB period, but I think there are more people ok with it than there are people who are having issues.

A lot of people having issues didn't perform a factory reset before or after the update which is probably causing a majority of their issues.

draneo

Reaction score
K. I wish I could just find the update file and delete it. The warnings pop up every few hours which I don't like. I guess I will have to SBF back and start all over. Is everyone liking being rooted on GB? I guess if I am doing all this I should just try it out. I'm using Launcher Pro on my phone for weather and the clock, will I still be able to use that program?

If you have titanium backup you can freeze some of the bloatware that came with your phone...then when you install the update it will fail. Then you won't keep getting the install now message. You will have to manually check for update to download the file again if you want it.

Sent from my Droid X